Steps to get into Dental School

Created August 1, 2007 by Lee

In High School

• Take a college prep course of study. Include math and the sciences.
  • Talk to your guidance counselor about local people which will give you insight into a dental career:
    Dentists, hygienists, dental assistants or dental laboratory owners.
  • Visit with these people and spend time in their offices. Most of these professionals will be excited to help you.
  • Visit the High School section at SDN to network with peers and get specific advice
  • If you have in mind certain colleges to attend, look on their websites for a pre-professional advising department. There you will find links to course requirement lists for pre-health professions students.

Preparing Yourself In College

• Follow the pre-health or predental course of study recommended by your college. This will include science requirements – usually biology courses, chemistry and calculus.
  • Check with the dental schools where you want to apply for specific courses they will require for admission. You may need to add some courses to meet a school’s requirements. A degree in science is often not necessary.
  • Find your college’s health professions advising committee or pre-professional advising department. You can start by asking in the Biology Department. This committee will help you to assemble the necessary letters of recommendation and help you complete your application process on schedule.
  • Participate in the SDN Pre-Dental Student and DAT Forums to keep up-to-date on the latest news and advice.
  • You may ask or be assigned a member of the committee to be your predental advisor.
  • Visit your own dentist and ask him or her questions about a career in dentistry. Spend a day in his or her office and see what private practice is all about.
  • Check the Dental Students Network Careers Page for links to the American Dental Association, which provides information on dental careers.

When You Decide To Get Serious

Go to the Checklist

After you’ve read these ideas on how to get into dental school, click here to view the checklist for admission to dental school. Then view these selected links for information about dental school and dental careers.

Comments

1. Rick says:

Dentistry is one of the best fields to get into to. There will always be a demand for dentist. Because of the things we now consume, we will always have problems with our teeth.

2. Kunal says:

Dentistry is definitely not an advisable career path considering the surplus of dentists already. In the future, dentists will have a very hard time getting jobs. If you want to get into the health profession, study medicine instead and become physician. The salary is better, and you will always be needed.

3. kevin says:

hey how to start off as a dentist..is being a dentist good ..do u get pay ..like how mush

4. Latoya says:

Dentists do get better pay than general practitioners don’t be fooled… There is nationally a shortage of dentists now as the ratio of dentists retiring each year is significantly larger than the number of graduates from dental schools.. Get your facts straight before you make sily comments

5. Latoya says:

If you really want to make such comments, join a Medical Forum instead kumar/kumai. The US and Canada are short on dentists on a whole, so its an excellent career path for aspiring dentists and dental surgeons. I’m a 1st year dental student and also a registered dental hygienist.. I would know :)

1. May says:

hey im actually graduating as an rdh this may and i was thinking strongly about dental school how did it go? and wat r the steps to take after hygiene?

2. Rhadara Escolin says:

I’ve been working as a hygienist for 4 years now and I am back at school because I want to pursue dentistry. What steps and advice do you have for me? thanks!

3. Niks says:

@latoya Cud u guide me,on how do i get to do my dds from the Us,i mean is there any specific exam thai i have to give,as a foreign student? I have already done my bachelors in dentustry and am looking forward to do the masters.

6. Molly says:

Do you have to take cal 2 to get into dental school?

7. cbomb says:

no, you do not have to take cal 2 to get into dental school

8. sali says:

dear sir
    i am a p.r in canada and i have completed my degree in veterinary medicine,but i donot like it and want to change my field and study dentistry.i would be grateful if you tel me what shoul i have to do?
    sincerely

9. Shilpa says:

I am considering dental school (next year). I did B.S. in Biological Science (2001), certificate in Biotechnology. I was in Research for about 6 years. Then I got my MBA (2010) – working as consultant (part-time). To be honest, I missed science while I was in Business school. That is why I am considering dental school. Where do I start? I need to take Anatomy and Physiology I and II. Do I also need to take organic chemistry? Its been over 12 years since I had Organic Chemistry. And ofcourse I need to study for DAT. Any recommendation on how to study for DAT. Any advice will be helpful.

Shilpa

1. Neha says:

Hello Shilpa,

I am in the same place in my career as what you have described. I got my MS in Biotechnology, worked for two years and the got my MBA. I always wanted to be a dental doctor as well but could not develop my career in that direction because of several other constraints. I would really appreciate if I can get in touch with you to learn from your experiences in this direction that may help me kickstart my career in dental as well. If it is OK, could you please let me know your contact number or email?

Thanks,
      Neha

10. RDH says:

Hey Latoya,

My Fiance is a RDH in Toronto, Canada and shes looking to goto dentistry. How did you do go from RDH to DDS? Are there any “direct entry” programs out there?

Thanks!

11. Natalie says:

I’m a high school student and i plan to major in dentistry i was wondering after high school should i look for a 4 year dental college ad apply there or should i look for a college that does pre-dentistry before going to a four year college?

20150522_Interns_SS_267299642
  • Medical, +1 MORE
  • Tips from the Trenches: 5 Tips for Surviving Intern Year

• Posted May 22, 2015 by Megan Riddle, MD PhD
  • Dear Incoming Interns, Congratulations on matching and reaching the end of medical school! I am sure you are very excited to be graduating, and we interns are equally excited for you as it means we are about ready to say “so long” to our intern year. (Right now, I have 62 clinical days left –...VIEW >
20150520_PT_SS_161769548
  • Helping Hands: A Conversation with Paul Rockar, Jr., DPT, MS

• Posted May 20, 2015 by Suzanne Barston
  • The first thing you notice about Paul Rockar, Jr., PT, DPT, MS, is his energy. Focused and friendly, he speaks enthusiastically about his chosen profession, using his hands to punctuate the points he’s making. Those hands have not only helped patients function more comfortably for the past 30 years, but also have written textbooks, taught...VIEW >
Caring_SS_24756445
  • Beyond the Pink Ribbon: Spreading Cancer Awareness

• Posted May 18, 2015 by Monica Gomez
  • Imagine a diverse group of people – a roughly equal mix of men, women, adults, teenagers, Caucasians, African-Americans, Hispanics, and Asian Americans. If you randomly pulled one aside and asked them if they are aware and supportive of cancer research, many of them would nod in the affirmative. Inquire about which and it likely that...VIEW >
IOTW-SDN small
  • Figure 1 Image of the Week, 5/16/15

• Posted May 18, 2015 by Figure 1
  • Image of the Week – Apple-Core Sign An elderly female patient presented with abdominal discomfort and increasing constipation. A barium study was performed and demonstrated an apple-core sign, which is most frequently associated with colorectal carcinoma. See more cases like this on Figure 1....VIEW >
20150515_TPW_SS_19525837
  • Announcing Test Prep Week 2015!

• Posted May 15, 2015 by SDN Staff
  • The Student Doctor Network is pleased to announce our upcoming Test Prep Week event, taking place May 18-22, 2015! SDN hosts this online exhibition to give you an opportunity to check out the products and services available from test prep companies, publishers, and application and admissions specialists. Many companies are also offering exclusive discounts to...VIEW >
20150513_Abroad_SS_55927591
  • How to Use Study Abroad to Set Your Medical School Application Apart

• Posted May 13, 2015 by Anubodh Varshney
  • One of the most important things that a student can do on his or her medical school application is highlight any distinguishing features that other applicants may not have. While some students view an undergraduate semester spent abroad as inferior to medically-focused experiences, it can be an application boon. Studying abroad is a valuable source of personal...VIEW >
20150511_Class_SS_218151253
  • Ten College Classes Every Pre-Med Should Take

• Posted May 11, 2015 by Brent Schnipke
  • College as a pre-medical student can be challenging; unlike many other programs, pre-medical programs are begun with the intent not to get a job, but to continue schooling beyond college. Central to the many decisions pre-meds must make is the academic coursework; it is the crux of the college degree and foundational to the medical...VIEW >