20 Questions: Nicholas Blanchard, PharmD, MEd [Pharmacy School Assistant Dean]

Created August 4, 2007 by Juliet Farmer

Nicholas Blanchard, PharmD, MEd, is Assistant Dean for Student Affairs and Advocacy at Wegmans School of Pharmacy, St. John Fisher College in Rochester, New York.

Dr. Blanchard has nearly 20 years of practice and academic experience in pharmacy. Prior to coming to Fisher in early 2006, he held the positions of Assistant Dean of Student Affairs at Wingate University School of Pharmacy, Associate Dean of Experiential Education at Texas Tech University School of Pharmacy, and Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice at Washington State University College of Pharmacy.

He also held positions in the pharmaceutical industry and in practice.

Dr. Blanchard received his B.S. in Pharmacy from University of North Carolina, his Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the University of Washington, and his Master’s in Education from Campbell University.

Describe a typical day at work.
My days are quite variable. I teach both a Top 200 Medications course and a course in AIDS therapy. I also coordinate the Diversity for Pharmacy Students course. On any given day, I can be found talking with students or in attendance at a variety of meetings. As the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs and Advocacy, I take the job and title very seriously. I spend much time meeting with students to resolve any issues.

Why did you select academics over private practice?
Of the last 20 years since I graduated, I have been in academia for all but three of those. I worked for a while in industry with the company GlaxoSmithKline. It was a wonderful experience. But my true heart was in academia – so I returned to it.

What mix of clinical/research/teaching work do you do? How much power do you have to change that mix?
As an administrator, I am no longer in clinical practice. I worked for several years as a clinical pediatric pharmacist and staffed a pharmacist-run Asthma Clinic.

What are the advantages to academic pharmacy?
Being in academia, you have an opportunity to be on the front line and to observe new and cutting edge medicine.

If you had it to do all over again, would you still become a Pharmacist? (Why or why not? What would you have done instead?)
Yes I would. I would not have changed anything.

Why did you choose your specialty?
I always wanted to be in pharmacy and in pediatrics – hence my career path.

Did you plan to enter your current specialty prior to pharmacy school?
Yes – I always aimed for it.

Now that you’re in your specialty, do you find that it met your expectations?
Absolutely.

Are you satisfied with your income?
I am very blessed to have the income that I do. However, I do wish that education paid as well as community or hospital practice.

What do you like most and least about your specialty?
I wish that there were more hours in a day.

If you took out educational loans, is paying them back a financial strain?
I had all of my loans paid back within two years.

On average: How many hours a week do you work? How many hours do you sleep each night? How many weeks of vacation do you take?
I work a lot of hours – as do many in healthcare. I work a minimum of 60 hours per week – usually more. I sleep on average six to seven hours per night. I take four weeks of vacation per year. I try to live by the motto, “Work hard and play hard.”

Do you have a family and do you have enough time to spend with them?
I am single – but I do have a 12-year-old black English Cocker Spaniel named Jefferson. I am very fortunate to work in a setting where I can bring him to work daily. In fact, Jefferson has been adopted by my department.

In your position now, knowing what you do – what would you say to yourself 10 years ago?
To remember that perception is reality. Treat everyone as fairly as possible and you will go far.

What information/advice do you wish you had known when you were a pre-pharmacy student? (What mistakes or experiences have you encountered that you wished you had known about ahead of time so you could have avoided them?)
I wish that I would have taken the time to take a few more fun courses. It’s hard to go back now and to take a course – so I think I would have taken a couple of semesters of Italian for myself.

From your perspective, what is the biggest problem in health care today?
That’s a hard one to answer. At one time, I would have said that it was insurance. However, today I feel that it is illegal immigration and the health care system. There are too many people using the system and not enough tax dollars going into it.

From your perspective, what is the biggest problem within your own specialty?
There are too few people going into Pharmacy Education. Many are looking to practice because of the significant difference in salaries.

What types of outreach/volunteer work do you do, if any? Any international work?
I volunteer one to two days a month at AIDS Rochester delivering meals to patients who are homebound.

Favorite TV Show?
Dexter on Showtime

Comments

1. David & Vicky Oakes says:

Nick,

This was very interesting to read these things about you. I think most people would think that you are very educated and dedicated to your work but also that you care about people.That is good!

DCO

2. Alex says:

Very interested to hear how people oriented you are

I currently applied to wegman and i am anticipating a response which i believe willn be at the end of the october.

3. Alex says:

Very interested to hear how people oriented you are.

It was nice to read your story

5. Angela says:

Dr. Blanchard,

Previous student of yours from WSU. Just wanted to thank you for being a great professor. Probably one of the most motivating and intersting professors of my career. Glad to hear that you are doing well.

Class of 2003

6. Bill King says:

Ahhh, Nicholas B. Where art thou? Am still here in WA, taking pills from large bottles and placing them in smaller ones, but am loving it. Hoping you are well. I see London, I see France, but I haven’t seen you in a while.

20150902_TipsSign_SS_290755889
  • Medical, +1 MORE
  • 6 Tips for Med School Interviews

• Posted September 2, 2015 by AAMC Staff
  • The interview is one of the most important steps in the medical school application process. It’s your chance to get to know the medical school in person while demonstrating good communication skills, professionalism, maturity, and your passion for medicine. Below are six tips to help you make a good impression:...VIEW >
20150831_Doc_SS_139326899
  • The Med-Peds Residency: Big and Small, We Care for Them All

• Posted August 31, 2015 by Eric Chow, MD, MS, MPH and Chris Terry, MD
  • As third year medical students you’re rotating through your general specialties and you think you’re seeing familiar faces but in new places. Isn’t that your newborn nursery resident who assigned APGAR scores, now leading the code in the medical ICU? Some of you may have had similar déjà vu experiences but rest assured, your mind...VIEW >
IOTW-SDN small
  • Figure 1 Image of the Week, 8/29/15

• Posted August 29, 2015 by Figure 1
  • Image of the Week: An Update to a Previous Image of the Week This patient initially presented with 90% body surface area covered in an unusual rash. After two weeks of steroid treatment, the rash resolved completely. Unfortunately, it returned one week after the course of steroids had been completed. View this image on Figure 1 to see the full case update....VIEW >
20150828_Lightbulb_SS_215756758
  • The F-Word: Your Reaction to Failure in a Lab Matters More Than You Know

• Posted August 28, 2015 by P.H. Grey
  • There is only one guarantee in research: sometimes things fail. It doesn’t matter what your major is, how much experience you have, or whether your research is basic, applied, clinical, or translational. A research project will test your reliance, discipline, motivation, and, at times, it might make you feel like giving up. However, when your...VIEW >
20150826_Tie_SS_255238510
  • Fifty Shades of Care: Why Doctors Need to Pay More Attention to their Kinky Patients

• Posted August 26, 2015 by Christy Duan
  • By Christy Duan, Contributing Writer for in-Training Reposted from here with permission On Valentine’s Day weekend last year I found myself at Paddles, the local dungeon in New York City’s Chelsea neighborhood, for the first time. I was perched at the alcohol-free bar when a man politely introduced himself as a human carpet. He asked that I tread on...VIEW >
20150824_Antibiotics_304808039
IOTW-SDN small
  • Figure 1 Image of the Week, 8/22/15

• Posted August 22, 2015 by Figure 1
  •   Image of the Week: See an Enterotomy in Action This patient was discovered to have gallstone ileus, a rare complication of cholelithiasis which has a high rate of mortality. An unusual multi-step process must occur in order to cause this complication. View this image on Figure 1 to see the step by step removal and learn more about this disease. Additional Info: Gallstones...VIEW >