20 Questions: Nicholas Blanchard, PharmD, MEd [Pharmacy School Assistant Dean]

Created August 4, 2007 by Juliet Farmer

Nicholas Blanchard, PharmD, MEd, is Assistant Dean for Student Affairs and Advocacy at Wegmans School of Pharmacy, St. John Fisher College in Rochester, New York.

Dr. Blanchard has nearly 20 years of practice and academic experience in pharmacy. Prior to coming to Fisher in early 2006, he held the positions of Assistant Dean of Student Affairs at Wingate University School of Pharmacy, Associate Dean of Experiential Education at Texas Tech University School of Pharmacy, and Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice at Washington State University College of Pharmacy.

He also held positions in the pharmaceutical industry and in practice.

Dr. Blanchard received his B.S. in Pharmacy from University of North Carolina, his Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the University of Washington, and his Master’s in Education from Campbell University.

Describe a typical day at work.
My days are quite variable. I teach both a Top 200 Medications course and a course in AIDS therapy. I also coordinate the Diversity for Pharmacy Students course. On any given day, I can be found talking with students or in attendance at a variety of meetings. As the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs and Advocacy, I take the job and title very seriously. I spend much time meeting with students to resolve any issues.

Why did you select academics over private practice?
Of the last 20 years since I graduated, I have been in academia for all but three of those. I worked for a while in industry with the company GlaxoSmithKline. It was a wonderful experience. But my true heart was in academia – so I returned to it.

What mix of clinical/research/teaching work do you do? How much power do you have to change that mix?
As an administrator, I am no longer in clinical practice. I worked for several years as a clinical pediatric pharmacist and staffed a pharmacist-run Asthma Clinic.

What are the advantages to academic pharmacy?
Being in academia, you have an opportunity to be on the front line and to observe new and cutting edge medicine.

If you had it to do all over again, would you still become a Pharmacist? (Why or why not? What would you have done instead?)
Yes I would. I would not have changed anything.

Why did you choose your specialty?
I always wanted to be in pharmacy and in pediatrics – hence my career path.

Did you plan to enter your current specialty prior to pharmacy school?
Yes – I always aimed for it.

Now that you’re in your specialty, do you find that it met your expectations?
Absolutely.

Are you satisfied with your income?
I am very blessed to have the income that I do. However, I do wish that education paid as well as community or hospital practice.

What do you like most and least about your specialty?
I wish that there were more hours in a day.

If you took out educational loans, is paying them back a financial strain?
I had all of my loans paid back within two years.

On average: How many hours a week do you work? How many hours do you sleep each night? How many weeks of vacation do you take?
I work a lot of hours – as do many in healthcare. I work a minimum of 60 hours per week – usually more. I sleep on average six to seven hours per night. I take four weeks of vacation per year. I try to live by the motto, “Work hard and play hard.”

Do you have a family and do you have enough time to spend with them?
I am single – but I do have a 12-year-old black English Cocker Spaniel named Jefferson. I am very fortunate to work in a setting where I can bring him to work daily. In fact, Jefferson has been adopted by my department.

In your position now, knowing what you do – what would you say to yourself 10 years ago?
To remember that perception is reality. Treat everyone as fairly as possible and you will go far.

What information/advice do you wish you had known when you were a pre-pharmacy student? (What mistakes or experiences have you encountered that you wished you had known about ahead of time so you could have avoided them?)
I wish that I would have taken the time to take a few more fun courses. It’s hard to go back now and to take a course – so I think I would have taken a couple of semesters of Italian for myself.

From your perspective, what is the biggest problem in health care today?
That’s a hard one to answer. At one time, I would have said that it was insurance. However, today I feel that it is illegal immigration and the health care system. There are too many people using the system and not enough tax dollars going into it.

From your perspective, what is the biggest problem within your own specialty?
There are too few people going into Pharmacy Education. Many are looking to practice because of the significant difference in salaries.

What types of outreach/volunteer work do you do, if any? Any international work?
I volunteer one to two days a month at AIDS Rochester delivering meals to patients who are homebound.

Favorite TV Show?
Dexter on Showtime

Comments

1. David & Vicky Oakes says:

Nick,

This was very interesting to read these things about you. I think most people would think that you are very educated and dedicated to your work but also that you care about people.That is good!

DCO

2. Alex says:

Very interested to hear how people oriented you are

I currently applied to wegman and i am anticipating a response which i believe willn be at the end of the october.

3. Alex says:

Very interested to hear how people oriented you are.

It was nice to read your story

5. Angela says:

Dr. Blanchard,

Previous student of yours from WSU. Just wanted to thank you for being a great professor. Probably one of the most motivating and intersting professors of my career. Glad to hear that you are doing well.

Class of 2003

6. Bill King says:

Ahhh, Nicholas B. Where art thou? Am still here in WA, taking pills from large bottles and placing them in smaller ones, but am loving it. Hoping you are well. I see London, I see France, but I haven’t seen you in a while.

20150330_inTraining
  • Two Days to Destiny

• Posted March 30, 2015 by Sumit Patel
  • Reposted from here with permission. Originally published March 17, 2015. What were you doing on Wednesday, Feb. 25, 2015, at 9 p.m. EST? Were you taking a bath? Were you having a meal? Most people were probably watching their favorite television show, having quality time with their families or reflecting on the day’s happenings. However,...VIEW >
Figure1IOW
  • Figure 1 Image of the Week

• Posted March 28, 2015 by Figure 1
  • A 5 year-old patient presents with this lesion, which began as a blister and evolved into the above growth over the course of 5 days. Members of the Figure 1 community have suggested subcutaneous horn, verruca vulgaris, and pyogenic granuloma. Photo Credit: figure1.com See more cases like this on Figure 1....VIEW >
20150330_Yes_SS_107505230
  • Refuse To Take No For An Answer: How I got into dental school after 6 tries

• Posted March 26, 2015 by Travis Barr, Colorado ’16
  • This article is reprinted with permission from the American Student Dental Association. It originally appeared in December 2014 issue of ASDA News. For me, the road to dentistry has been more like a grueling endurance race. The ride consisted of three DAT tests, 19 drafts of personal essays and six application cycles in a row—not...VIEW >
20150327_Breathe_SS_156731183
20150309_Heart
  • Struggling to memorize the human body? Learn with Cyber Anatomy 3D

• Posted March 22, 2015 by Cyber Anatomy Corp
  • The intricacy of the human body and memorizing its various parts can be a difficult task, which is why new SDN Partner Cyber Science is offering 20 students a free 90-day trial of Cyber Anatomy 3D. Cyber Anatomy 3D brings the human body to life by providing students with a virtually interactive program for dissecting...VIEW >
Figure1IOW
  • Figure 1 Image of the Week

• Posted March 20, 2015 by Figure 1
  • A 65 year-old patient was admitted to the hospital after several days of emesis. Shortly after admission, the patient developed an acute arrhythmia which resolved after three rounds of CPR and one shock. This is ventricular fibrillation, determined by the absence of identifiable P waves, QRS complexes, or T waves, and the ittegular deflections of...VIEW >
20150318_SignSS_101833630
  • Barbara Ross Lee: The Beauty of the Broken-Field Run

• Posted March 18, 2015 by Suzanne Barston
  • There’s no doubt that Dr. Barbara Ross Lee has led a distinguished career. The first African-American woman to be appointed Dean of a medical school, her other accomplishments include participation in the Robert Wood Johnson Health Policy Fellowship and garnering numerous awards. But for Ross, the path to success was full of twists and turns....VIEW >