Menu Icon Search
Close Search
short coat logo 2015 with title

A Career in Health Policy: Dr. Lauren Hughes

Created July 8, 2016 by The Short Coat Podcast
Share

Dr. Lauren Hughes is a graduate of the Carver College of Medicine who, in addition to her work as a family physician, has made a career in public policy. During medical school, she also got her Masters in Public Health at George Washington University in Washington, DC. After graduating from med school in 2009, she delayed her residency to serve as national president of the American Medical Student Association, and then completed her residency at the University of Washington.  Today Dr. Hughes is Deputy Secretary of Health Innovation at the Pennsylvania Department of Public Health.  Mark Moubarek, Corbin Weaver, Rob Humble and newcomer Morgan Bobb spoke with her about her career in public health and policy.

On The Short Coat Podcast, medical students from the University of Iowa and their co-host Dave Etler discuss news, fresh views, helpful clues and interviews. Hear new episodes on iTunes and the Short Coat Podcast website every Thursday, republished Fridays on the Student Doctor Network. 

// Share //

// Recent Articles //

short coat logo 2015 with title
  • Reversing Pavlok and What You Can Learn From Your Bike Wreck

• Posted September 30, 2016 by The Short Coat Podcast
  • After listening to our recent show that featured a review of a wrist-worn device that you can shock yourself with to punish you for engaging in bad habits, listener Paulius drops us a line to ask what Amy Young, Corbin Weaver, Aline Sandouk, and John Pienta do to reward themselves when they do the right things.  Like watching YouTube videos of...VIEW >
20160929_in-training
  • Book Review—in-Training: Stories from Tomorrow’s Physicians

• Posted September 29, 2016 by Christy Crisologo
  • In early 2012, medical students Ajay Major and Aleena Paul started in-Training.org, a website dedicated to the medical student community at large with a goal—according to the site—to become “the intellectual center for news, commentary, and the free expression of the medical student voice.” Since then, the site has grown by leaps and bounds, recently...VIEW >
20160928_jumping
  • On Being a Medical Student

• Posted September 28, 2016 by Brent Schnipke, Medical Student Editor, Writer-in-Training and Columnist at in-Training
  • Republished with permission from here. Earlier in the summer, I was speaking with a friend from medical school while we were studying for Step 1, the big test taken by medical students at the end of second year, and he remarked, “There’s really nothing quite like this. We probably don’t even realize how strange it...VIEW >
20160927_bridge
The-Third-Year
  • Answering The Most Common Question in Medical Education

• Posted September 26, 2016 by Brent Schnipke
  • Central to the skillset of every physician is the differential diagnosis; this is the process by which new patients are evaluated to establish the most likely diagnosis. Similarly, the first clinical year of medical school is like a differential for each student, except instead of a medical diagnosis, students are seeking to determine which specialty...VIEW >
short coat logo 2015 with title
  • The Modern Opioid Epidemic

• Posted September 23, 2016 by Short Coat Podcast
  • Close your eyes, and picture an opioid abuser. If you’re like me, you see a man in a flophouse or dark alley. He’s cooking up heroin in a spoon over a lighter. Maybe he has a loop of tubing around his upper arm, and he’s shooting the heroin into a vein in the crook of...VIEW >

// Forums //