Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ouch! 1:00! We were supposed to get out at 11:30, but Dr. Levine kept us until just before 12:00. Just remember that even though you are supposed to go to the same room for the SP's that THEY rotate so you may get the hard questions next time!

I'm just glad that the exams are done! I went home and played with Baby and ate a bowl of ice cream to make me feel better. I think that some questions were fair, others were tough just because they were a 1/2 page long and took forever to read through and find the important info, and there were a couple of questions where I just had no clue. So I hope that I did ok...but who knows.

well after reviewing the notes for tomorrows PD at the hospital I realized we only covered about 80% of the stuff with the SPTA... and she told us a couple things that are wrong.

So are we suppose to verbalize everything we do? When it says to inspect sclera, iris, etc... are we suppose to say anything? Should we just try and follow what is on checklist (rather than objectives in the other part of notes)?

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to say it, but I do not think that your story meets the criteria for a FUBAR - but I will give you a SNAFU.
Now, it would have been a FUBAR if they had refused to let you take your exam when you showed up those 10 min late.
Fair enough, I'll take SNAFU

As a side note - I think SNAFU pretty well describes med school to this point

so regarding the PD attendance slips... if they say they are due on a certain day, does that mean we will not get credit if they are not turned in on that day? it is going to suck to have to make a special drive into school just to turn it in.

who would i send a scanned copy to? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
so regarding the PD attendance slips... if they say they are due on a certain day, does that mean we will not get credit if they are not turned in on that day? it is going to suck to have to make a special drive into school just to turn it in.

who would i send a scanned copy to? :laugh:

I took the approach that they were not due on that certain day, but rather by that certain day. And I didn't run into any trouble with them not giving me credit for being there.

Something that I didn't do that would be wise to do is to find a way to keep a copy of all those attendance slips - after all this is WSU so odds are pretty good that they'll manage to "misplace" some of those attendance slips (which of course is never their fault:rolleyes: ), which will mean that you will have to fight to get your credit for having been there, unless you still have a copy of the slips.

General rule of thumb is to keep a copy of anything that WSU tells you that you have to submit - unless you like having to redo things when they loss your assignments/paperwork/etc.

I took the approach that they were not due on that certain day, but rather by that certain day. And I didn't run into any trouble with them not giving me credit for being there.

Something that I didn't do that would be wise to do is to find a way to keep a copy of all those attendance slips - after all this is WSU so odds are pretty good that they'll manage to "misplace" some of those attendance slips (which of course is never their fault:rolleyes: ), which will mean that you will have to fight to get your credit for having been there, unless you still have a copy of the slips.

General rule of thumb is to keep a copy of anything that WSU tells you that you have to submit - unless you like having to redo things when they loss your assignments/paperwork/etc.

thanks for the advice...

anybody know any good apartments in ferndale...warren area?

well after reviewing the notes for tomorrows PD at the hospital I realized we only covered about 80% of the stuff with the SPTA... and she told us a couple things that are wrong.

So are we suppose to verbalize everything we do? When it says to inspect sclera, iris, etc... are we suppose to say anything? Should we just try and follow what is on checklist (rather than objectives in the other part of notes)?

It does seem strange, but you are supposed to verbalize everything you do, but for PD only. There are two reasons for this. The first is so that your teachers know that you are covering everything that you are supposed to, and so they can add anything you are missing. The second reason is for your 150+ point OSCE at the end of the year, and you have to say you are doing everything step by step so you get the points you deserve. For your year 3 clerkships, you do NOT verbalize everything (in fact, I say very little); think what it would be like during your OB rotation for your patient when you are doing a pelvic exam and you are talking yourself through it.

For those of you that bought the pan-optics like I did, PD does a very poor job of teaching you how to use them. However, I am getting better at using mine after using it for Family Med. If possible, try turning the lights completely off and you might get a better view if the patient's pupils dilate enough.

For those of you questioning your clinical preparation, I assure you that you will come out of med school far more advanced than the other schools that have great realistic models. The fact of the matter is that at Wayne you learn through trial by fire. You will do as many male and female GU exams as you like once you get into the hospitals, especially the downtown ones.

It seems like there is a degree of anxiety about PD that is always pervasive among the second years. In all honesty, the skills are important, but the entire course is pretty much a typical Wayne clusterF. It is disjointed because you go into your sessions thinking, "ohh my god, I have to cover all this," and then you get there and your preceptor might not do things the exact same way as you are supposed to. Basically, use PD as a means to relax and have some time off from studying. Learn as much about the physical exam as you can, and just practice so you can get fluid in your execution of it. When it comes time for the OSCE, memorize the list of criteria they give you and repeat it over and over. That will be the most indepth physical exam you ever do in your life, so consider it a milestone, haha.

I'm amazed! We Wayne-rs are sure post-happy as we have officially run out of room on our first thread and now have a "part 02" I hope that we can keep the thread up and running, it has been a great resources for me...and hopefully for others as well!

deowolf: I have a pan-optic, and I love it! At our Kregse session we passed it around because you could see so much more than with the regular attachment. I just found it hard to figure out how to hold it in place on the subjects eye and then be able to manuver it, I didn't want to press too hard.

ddmo: Yaa for Wayne we will know how to do an H&P....Boo for Wayne - trial by fire. I know that others are anxious but I find myself being the most relaxed during the sessions for PD, both the hosp sessions and the SPTA's.

I'm amazed! We Wayne-rs are sure post-happy as we have officially run out of room on our first thread and now have a "part 02" I hope that we can keep the thread up and running, it has been a great resources for me...and hopefully for others as well!

deowolf: I have a pan-optic, and I love it! At our Kregse session we passed it around because you could see so much more than with the regular attachment. I just found it hard to figure out how to hold it in place on the subjects eye and then be able to manuver it, I didn't want to press too hard.

ddmo: Yaa for Wayne we will know how to do an H&P....Boo for Wayne - trial by fire. I know that others are anxious but I find myself being the most relaxed during the sessions for PD, both the hosp sessions and the SPTA's.

i have found PD fun so far... both SPTAs have been great, but we have only gotten through like 60-80% of the stuff each time... i must be slow! The last lady I saw at the hospital was pretty interesting... the first thing she told me was that she sees cinnamon buns dressed up in tuxedos, paintings talk to her, green rabbits running around, and some times the walls would talk to her. At least she knew the hallucinations weren't real... apparently morphine does a number on her.

right now, i can't wait to be done with year 2 and step1.... but i am dreading not having as much free time come year 3!

Just curious as to why the Wayne State forum has over 2,000 posts while many schools get 20 or 30. There seems to be a lot of interest out there.

Just curious as to why the Wayne State forum has over 2,000 posts while many schools get 20 or 30. There seems to be a lot of interest out there.

There are two reasons I can think of.

1. All of us are so spread out in the Detroit area that this is one way for us to reliably communicate with each other when we are not at school/in the hospitals.
2. Here we can say almost whatever we want without the overly-paternalistic administration looking over our shoulders and threatening us.

Because Ms. Jen started it, and she is fantastic.

Hey! That's "MRS. Jen" to you!! You poster of pictures of fat ol' me!!! I can't believe you put that up there....don't be actin' coy, you know what I'm talkin' about!!!!

Hey, wanted ideas for this year's menu for the annual dinner????

Members don't see this ad :)
2. Here we can say almost whatever we want without the overly-paternalistic administration looking over our shoulders and threatening us.

Especially since most people don't know who we actually are:laugh: - although I do know that some people on here know who I am in the real world.

Especially since most people don't know who we actually are:laugh: - although I do know that some people on here know who I am in the real world.

I think most people can figure out who I am as well. Not that hard when I'm constantly bringing in new pics of baby and forcing everybody to look at them :laugh:

so does it get any better after cardio? i am burned out.. this is way too much material....

so does it get any better after cardio? i am burned out.. this is way too much material....

wow, that was so much fun. please give me more of these awesome tests... they make me feel so great. *bends over and grabs ankles*

and we have two exams in the next three weeks. however, it's going to be hard for the next two units to live up to the level of suck that was heme and cardio

wow, that was so much fun. please give me more of these awesome tests... they make me feel so great. *bends over and grabs ankles*

I feel like it has been one big BOHICA moment since we came back from x-mas break. I hated cardio. I just hope that I didn't fail tooooo badly. grrr. Hopefully UT won't be so crazy!

I feel like it has been one big BOHICA moment since we came back from x-mas break. I hated cardio. I just hope that I didn't fail tooooo badly. grrr. Hopefully UT won't be so crazy!

UT has seemed so much better so far... just think.. we only have 210 pages of notes, compared to the ~450 pages for cardio...

UT has seemed so much better so far... just think.. we only have 210 pages of notes, compared to the ~450 pages for cardio...

how long are these blocks? One month or two weeks? What else are you guys doing concurrently?

how long are these blocks? One month or two weeks? What else are you guys doing concurrently?

Second years are in Pathophys. which runs for >1/2 of second year. At the same time they are doing pharm - usually the pharm is for the same system as path is.

The length of each block of path varies - from less than 2 weeks (derm) to 4-6 weeks (sorry don't remember that detail).

Is he back for all of pathophys or just for renal?

If you say that he's running all of pathophys then I am going to feel very wayned.

Just for Renal. We have a crazy system actually. Vanderheide is the "director" for the path, then some random person for the phys, then Mac for the pharm.

Oh and they Wayned us for Cardio pharm as well. We ended up with 200 pages of notes just for that portion. 1/2 of which was "evidence based" by Scarabelli, and the rest were the normal lectures (antiarrythmics, lipids, etc)...therefore we had 30 questions of cardio pharm!!! On top of the 200 pages of path which equaled out to 92 questions. They even expanded out test taking time by 30 minutes to accomodate all the extra questions! 3.5 hours of hell!!!

cardio was 2.5 weeks and renal is 2 weeks. as oldjeeps said, classes range from 1 week to 4 weeks, for the most part. except, pharm, which has a separate block for each unit. so for the last half of second year we go by systems: respiratory pahtophys & resp pharm, heme & heme pharm, cardio and cardio pharm, renal, etc, etc....

wheeler is just back for renal, as far as i know. he seems all right... am i the only one who likes vander heide?

In year one, they're pretty much one month blocks with two subjects at once (anatomy/histo, physio/biochem, neuro/nutrition, neuro/genetics), in year two it's pretty much 2 week blocks with system and pharm for that system in each block

In year one, they're pretty much one month blocks with two subjects at once (anatomy/histo, physio/biochem, neuro/nutrition, neuro/genetics), in year two it's pretty much 2 week blocks with system and pharm for that system in each block

One small edit to this...

as memory serves the first year blocks were more like:
3 months (with 4 units/exams each) for anatomy/histo
3 months (with 3 units/exams each) for physio/biochem
1.5 months (with 1 exam each) for neuro/nutrition
1.5 months (with 1 exam each) for neuro/genetics

One small edit to this...

as memory serves the first year blocks were more like:
3 months (with 4 units/exams each) for anatomy/histo
3 months (with 3 units/exams each) for physio/biochem
1.5 months (with 1 exam each) for neuro/nutrition
1.5 months (with 1 exam each) for neuro/genetics

i miss 1 exam/month... there was definitely more lazy time.

hey everyone,

I am going to be at wayne med next fall and I was just hoping to get some opinions from people about good places to live near the med school. Thanks

hey everyone,

I am going to be at wayne med next fall and I was just hoping to get some opinions from people about good places to live near the med school. Thanks
Wayne State Affiliated
The Towers Dorms
University Towers Apts.

Other Apts.
Riverfront Towers
Millender Center
Lofts at Merchants Row
Lafayette Towers

These are most of the big ones.

If you want campus based living, University Towers is the closest, 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments. I have been here 2.5 years and have had quiet apartments, though have heard others have problems with loud neighbors at times. There is also The Towers, but that is 3 blocks farther away and is essentially dorm living, no kitchen, mostly undergrad types.

There are numerous apartments within 1-2.5 blocks of Scott Hall, depending on what you are looking for. The only one I have heard bad about is Cathedral Towers, some people have had roach problems in that building. Parking at many non-campus apartments is street or similar parking, unsecured.

Farther out (a few miles, heading towards downtown), Lafayette Towers, Riverfront, and other places seem popular with many. Heading west there are numerous homes for rent in the Woodbridge area (around Trumbull, south of I-94 area) too.

The med school puts out a list each year of people looking for roommates to find a place, or people who already have a place looking for someody, etc. Check with student affairs office on this one.

Hope this helps.

-xtn

If you want campus based living, University Towers is the closest, 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments. I have been here 2.5 years and have had quiet apartments, though have heard others have problems with loud neighbors at times. There is also The Towers, but that is 3 blocks farther away and is essentially dorm living, no kitchen, mostly undergrad types.

There are numerous apartments within 1-2.5 blocks of Scott Hall, depending on what you are looking for. The only one I have heard bad about is Cathedral Towers, some people have had roach problems in that building. Parking at many non-campus apartments is street or similar parking, unsecured.

Farther out (a few miles, heading towards downtown), Lafayette Towers, Riverfront, and other places seem popular with many. Heading west there are numerous homes for rent in the Woodbridge area (around Trumbull, south of I-94 area) too.

The med school puts out a list each year of people looking for roommates to find a place, or people who already have a place looking for someody, etc. Check with student affairs office on this one.

Hope this helps.

-xtn

the university towers is off canfield? they don't have dishwasher or washer&dryers available in unit do they?

So anyone else glad to be done with urine? I sure am, bring on the zits!

so was derm this poorly run last year? this might just be the most poorly organized class ever.

so was derm this poorly run last year? this might just be the most poorly organized class ever.

who's running derm this year?

don't really recall it being on one of the extremes for organization - I think it was somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as the organization was concerned.

who's running derm this year?

don't really recall it being on one of the extremes for organization - I think it was somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as the organization was concerned.

Dr. Hamzavi (his brother is also dermatologist). I have watched 2 days worth of lecture and only have had 2 lectures that followed the notes and were organized. I heard the 3rd day of lectures is worse yet. To start off the course Dr. H said that people had complained of the course being too easy so he was making it harder. I know I can be overly critical of lecture organization, but there are quite a few people complaining on blackboard as well.

Dr. Hamzavi (his brother is also dermatologist). I have watched 2 days worth of lecture and only have had 2 lectures that followed the notes and were organized. I heard the 3rd day of lectures is worse yet. To start off the course Dr. H said that people had complained of the course being too easy so he was making it harder. I know I can be overly critical of lecture organization, but there are quite a few people complaining on blackboard as well.
Maybe M3s can comment on this - but I heard that there is a study guide handed out at the Friday review - and that the test is pretty much word for word from that.

Maybe M3s can comment on this - but I heard that there is a study guide handed out at the Friday review - and that the test is pretty much word for word from that.

that would be nice. i guess on blackboard Dr. H says they made the test harder and double the length of it.... however, I do not believe they informed the school and we still get 2 hrs to do it. hopefully, it will be enough time.

however, I do not believe they informed the school and we still get 2 hrs to do it. hopefully, it will be enough time.

Even if they didn't tell the school it shouldn't be too big of a problem. Worst case scenario you can call it practice for the shelfs where you get 2 hrs and 10 mins for 100 questions.

Have you narrowed down your list of possibilities career-wise?

I have totally eliminated surgery (and anything related to it), psych, neuro.

Definitely interested in EM.

Still considering FP.

Verdict still out on peds, IM 'cuz I have 'em last...

Not really; and that is starting to be a source of a bit of stress for me. Only things that have been ruled out were already out of the running (OB, neuro, psych).
As much as I hate to admit it, I was pleasantly surprised by my peds clerkship - was a bit shocked by how few of the parents caused me to have homicidal thoughts.

Not really; and that is starting to be a source of a bit of stress for me. Only things that have been ruled out were already out of the running (OB, neuro, psych).
As much as I hate to admit it, I was pleasantly surprised by my peds clerkship - was a bit shocked by how few of the parents caused me to have homicidal thoughts.

when do you really have to have your mind made up by? July-Aug?
Seems like it would be tough since it looks like you only get ?1 elective? before this time?

Seems like it would be tough since it looks like you only get ?1 elective? before this time?

I believe we submit our applications in Sept. But you need to have a pretty good idea by year 4 to schedule your electives. In order to get LOR in your chosen field by the time you submit your application, you've got to do those rotations early enough (July, Aug).

I think lots of people go into IM because they still don't have an idea. They can always subspecialize after residency if they decide too.

Yeah, I think I'm zeroing in on one at this point even though I have not technically done the rotation yet. There has been an unexpected one that slid into second place easily. One thing I know for sure is that there is no way on God's green earth I am going to do inpatient medicine (any specialty) as a career.

For the second years about derm, it is only the psychotic gunners that are complaining about how much easier derm is than the rest. Everyone else enjoys the week-long break. The review "sheet" is a series of resident-led lectures on the last day and the powerpoints are posted online.

For the derm exam, last year about 50% of the class finished within 20 minutes and probably most people finished within 30. So an extra 50 ?s should not be a big deal.

For the second year gunners out there (and there are probably none reading these because they are much more interested in counting the number of skin cells in every mole they see and using advanced calculus to determine if it will become cancerous), LIGHTEN UP! It's your step 1 score that matters, and there is very little derm on it.

Why are you concerned about year 4 now? You'll get to your rotations through the hospitals soon enough. And when you do, just go into each one with an open mind and decide whether or not it is for you.

Why are you concerned about year 4 now? You'll get to your rotations through the hospitals soon enough. And when you do, just go into each one with an open mind and decide whether or not it is for you.

?? i was responding to katrina's question to the 3rd years regarding "Have you narrowed down your list of possibilities career-wise?". Since she asked, it dawned on me that it must be getting close to the time where you have to have your mind made up. I was merely asking when exactly you should start figuring that out. I know I have not given much thought to the specific area of medicine I would like to go into. Like you said, I have been "putting it off" until 3rd and 4th year until I see more of what it is exactly like. However, for those that would like to specialize in something other than the few that you rotate in 3rd year it seems that you don't really get a lot of time to get a taste of what that field is really like (i.e. rads, ortho, opthalmo, anest, derm, rad onc, ...to name a few). I was only wondering if this is a problem... should i be giving it more thought?

With that said, I have been dreaming of 4th year for quite some time now. Afterall, I enrolled in medical school to practice medicine, not to sit in a classroom day after day watching lectures. Not that I don't find this interesting, it's just after a couple years, one can't help but be anxious for the day where they can spend more time on something that they have more interest toward.

By the way, derm seeems to be much better now. It seems it was only the first half given by the "guest lectuerers" that was sloppily thrown together. Not that it ever really matters because the whole class is in the same boat. This stuff with lasers, light, and PDT sounds pretty cool.