Menu Icon Search
Close Search

Book Review—in-Training: Stories from Tomorrow’s Physicians

Created September 29, 2016 by Christy Crisologo
Share

In early 2012, medical students Ajay Major and Aleena Paul started in-Training.org, a website dedicated to the medical student community at large with a goal—according to the site—to become “the intellectual center for news, commentary, and the free expression of the medical student voice.” Since then, the site has grown by leaps and bounds, recently celebrating their 1000th article publication. Four years after the launch of the website, Major and Paul—who are now beginning their residency training—compiled around 100 of these essays into a book: in-Training: Stories from Tomorrow’s Physicians.

The book is broken down into topical sections of essays and poems, discussing all aspects of the medical student experience. The focus of these large chapters ranges from that first day in the cadaver lab, to the learning curve that comes with beginning med school, to burnout, global health, and feeling like a physician. Easy essay is brief—no more than a couple of pages—and includes three to four discussion or reflection questions compiled by the book’s team of medical student editors.

The essays in the volume are as diverse as the students who wrote them. Some focus on lessons learned about medicine in unexpected ways. For example, one author describes how a newly-discovered passion for photography taught her to “listen with her eyes” in a way that will forever impact her interaction with her patients. Others discuss how medicine interacts with current events, as in the essay “A Lack of Care: Why Medical Students Should Focus on Ferguson,” which discusses how culturally-ingrained racial biases affect healthcare. Many are reflections on personal experiences in medical school, including a number of essays and poems focusing on students’ time with their “first patient” in the anatomy lab.

While the essays are written primarily by and for medical students, this collection would also be a good read for premeds and residents. Even family members of those in medical education could benefit from reading the book, as it provides a window into the mysterious world their loved one has entered. Medical school is an experience like no other, and it’s not always an easy one to process. This collection is a valuable resource for students who may feel alone in some of the challenges they face while they learn to navigate the complicated world of healthcare. There is something profoundly powerful about reading what someone else is feeling and thinking, “me too.”

I truly enjoyed reading the works in this collection. The essays do a good job, both for the writer and the reader, of providing an outlet to process the experience of medical school and working in healthcare. Overall the writing is filled with hope for the future of medicine the writers will participate in, and I finished feeling encouraged about the next generation of physicians as they enter the challenging and complicated world of modern healthcare. I was also pleasantly surprised to discover how much I enjoyed the discussion questions at the end of each piece. They were well thought out, and truly applicable to the medical student working to become the best possible physician. Whether used for group discussion purposes or just for personal reflection, the questions add significantly to the value of the book as a resource for medical students and educators.

This book is one better consumed in small doses rather than read all at once. When taken all together, the essays begin to lose some of their significance and can feel repetitive and tiresome. Writing quality varies a bit from essay to essay. While most are very good, some oversimplify complex issues, or feel like they are trying too hard to connect with the audience or sell some profound message. The volume as a whole is on the serious side, making the reading experience a bit of a downer at times. As a book of writings intended to help medical students process the experience of medical education, it makes sense that topics covered would be more solemn. However, it can make for heavy reading at times. Tomorrow’s physicians have much to benefit from reading this collection of writing from their peers and from working through the discussion questions. Still, I hope that as they learn and advance through their medical training that they will learn not only to treat their patients thoughtfully, but with a smile and a good sense of humor as well.

About the Author
Christy Crisologo is SDN’s Communications Manager and Editor-in-Chief. She earned her BA in Communications from Asbury University and lives in the Midwest with her PGY-3 husband and 1-year-old daughter.

// Share //

// Recent Articles //

• Your Gap Year Job Doesn’t Matter

• Posted June 23, 2017 by The Short Coat Podcast
  • Listeners ask, we answer. A flood of listener questions this week!  It’s probably due in part to medical school application season has begun, which means medical school applicants are trying to figure out if they have what it takes…on paper.  For instance, an anonymous listener (“Meldor”) called in to find out what kinds of gap...VIEW >
  • Quiz of the Week: How Would You Manage This Rancher’s Lesion?

• Posted June 23, 2017 by Figure 1
  • A 22-year-old male presents with a one-week history of a lesion on his index finger after working at his uncle’s sheep ranch two weeks earlier. When he first noticed the lesion, it was a small firm papule and accompanied by a low grade fever. Examination now reveals a targetoid lesion on his right index finger...VIEW >
  • Medical, +1 MORE
  • Q&A with Dr. Alison Stansfield, Learning Disability Psychiatrist

• Posted June 22, 2017 by Gloria Onwuneme
  • Alison Stansfield, MBChB, MRCPsych, MD is the clinical lead and consultant psychiatrist for the Leeds Autism Diagnostic Service (LADS). This is an adult all-IQ autism diagnostic service which also provides consultancy and training. She is a regular lecturer for the Andrew Sims Centre on topics such as autism, learning disabilities, Mental Capacity Act, deprivation of...VIEW >
  • Deprescription: In the context of palliative care

• Posted June 21, 2017 by Ian Wee
  • “Why is Mr X on statins?” asked the palliative consultant. “He has been on statins for a long while given his poor cholesterol profile, even before he was referred to us,” the palliative registrar replied. “What is his prognosis?” the consultant continued. “Three months”. “So why is he still on statins? Does it improve his...VIEW >
  • What is Jaundice?

• Posted June 21, 2017 by Open Osmosis
  • You may have had a friend or relative whose newborn baby had jaundice but do you know what that actually means or how it’s treated? Well, jaundice is a condition where the skin and eyes take on a yellowish color due to increased levels of bilirubin in the bloodstream. Bilirubin can be either unconjugated or...VIEW >
  • Recess Rehash: Gap Years, Disguised Blessings, and Forbidden Words

• Posted June 17, 2017 by The Short Coat Podcast
  • Listener T’keyah sends Cole Cheney, Aline Sandouk, and John Pienta a question on gap years, which boils down to what kinds of gaps are okay according to admissions committees? Cole reveals his post-med school podcasting plans, and he and John discuss how not getting your residency match can be a GOOD thing…after one is done...VIEW >

// Forums //