Question about grades earned in grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedQuest

Da Truth
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do grads earned in grad school count on your overall gpa for the amscas? I will be graduating this august and i intend to go to grad school for a year during the application process. The grad school does not mine that if i get accepted i could leave their program. Will starting a program and finishing look bad? What about if in my LOR state that its all right with them?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I do not think it is anything wrong with that if you get accepted and go to med school however, I would tell you that I do not think that med schools will accpted you without completion of a degree.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by MedQuest:
•Do grads earned in grad school count on your overall gpa for the amscas? I will be graduating this august and i intend to go to grad school for a year during the application process. The grad school does not mine that if i get accepted i could leave their program. Will starting a program and finishing look bad? What about if in my LOR state that its all right with them?•••••Whoops! Medquest, I think you were typing a bit too fast when you posted this question! If I understand you, you plan on going to grad school for 1 year; The program doesn't mind if you leave for med school without finishing, and you wonder if you don't finish your grad degree will it "look bad"...Is that right? If so, read on:

1) your GPA from grad school will be presented SEPARATELY on your AMCAS application. Your Ugrad GPA will remain the same once you get your Ugrad GPA.

2) BEWARE!!!! Med Schools DO NOT like to "cherry -pick" students from grad programs!!! Thus, if you start a Masters or whatever, your chances of med school acceptance will be MUCH better if you make it clear you will finish that degree before you matriculate to med school. So yes, leaving the grad program without finishing will "look bad"!!!

about finishing before you start, it depends on each individual med school. the best policy is to finish before you matriculate but some schools are fine with letting you enroll with the degree left incomplete. you just need to call anonymously and find out what the policy is for each school. good luck!