MSU question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sprockette

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, wee question. I logged into Michigan State CHM's status check webpage, and for my status it says: "11/01/2001 Hold before Secondary decision." So, they haven't sent me a secondary yet, and by the looks of the status page, are debating whether or not they want to!

Does anyone know why this might be? I have already interviewed at Wayne State and have an interview coming up in a few week at University of Michigan...so any ideas regarding how MSU does admissions would be helpful. Thanks! :)

Oh, p.s., I am an in-state applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

i've got the same thing on mine. Are you an Aug MCAT taker? I thinnk that is the reason for the hold up. HOw did you hear about the status check on line? did they contact you?

Yes, I was an August MCAT taker, but my friend, also an Aug. MCAT taker, received the secondary invite this weekend, so I doubt it has anything to do with that.

I heard about the online status check from this forum, actually...kind of had to thwart the system to check my status, though, since they never actually sent me any correspondence regarding my status.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you mention you were interested in primary care and as well wanted to work with the underserved? MSU is extremely interested in students who fit-in with thier Mission. I'm sure you know this but if you wrote about wanting to practice as a neurologist or surgeon, they won't pay much attention to your application.

sorry to bring this up again, but i'm in the same boat and am really nervous. If you got a 30 (or lower) on the MCAT and got a secondary from MSU, please let me know.

Originally posted by jmejia1:
•I'm sure you know this but if you wrote about wanting to practice as a neurologist or surgeon, they won't pay much attention to your application.•

Yeah, that was kind of what I figured....thanks! :)

Personally, I'm thinking that their admissions office is moving along slowly.
I submitted a 2ary on 9/12 and got the message that it had been "assigned to raters" on 9/25 and I still haven't gotten a decision on an interview.
Maybe they want to be reeeallly sure of their decisions.

The office staff at MSU is very nice, so give them a call and ask for clarification to the meaning of your status.

Also, if you haven't received an invitation for a secondary, then your AMCAS statement has not been read and this issue of stating your ultimate career goals is NOT a factor. While MSU seeks applicants interested in primary care, this is not their only mission and criteria for determining who to accept. There are many applicants accepted there that explicitly express an interest in non-primary care fields.

To docab:
Out of curiosity, have you been interviewed and/or acceppted by MSU-CHM?
I've talked to them before and they are very nice there...which somehow just fits.
Anyways, when I called, I was sitting on an unverified AMCAS and the admissions rep did not know if they were interviewing folks who weren't verified.
I've been verified for about 2-3 weeks now, so we'll see if anything has changed. :)

Sckwicz- I went to MSU for med school (doing my residency now) and really liked it there. The computer verification system is new since I graduated which is why I don't know the exact meaning of each verification statement. If you get an interview, just be sure to relax, enjoy the day, and take time to talk with the students. I think you'll find the atmosphere to be real comfortable and the med students very friendly. Good luck!

Just an update:

I called the admissions office last week, and they told me that my application is on preliminary hold. It will be looked at in about a month and then reviewed again, at which point they will decide whether or not to send me a secondary. Oh well. :(