Calculus for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike_D

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is calculus for admission?? I have not yet taken calc., but will this summer. I really don't want to wait unitll Aug 1 (when summer classes end) to send out my primary application (I'm taking the August MCAT also). Obviously time is important here. Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Calculus is NOT required for the majority of medical schools. You need to check the requirements of each school on your list to see if they require it. None of the 9 I'm applying to require it, and they are top-notch schools (Michigan State, Nebraska, etc). Also, send out your primary application June 1. There is no reason to wait until August, it will only hurt your chances, even if you're an August MCATer. Have a great day.

Eric

Even if the school you apply to requires calculus, you should send in the AMCAS by June 18 (isn't that the new date for the web-based abpplication). Calculus may not be reflected in that application, but you'll get an opportunity to list the classes you plan to use to fulfill the requiments on the secondary.

bb

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by EricCSU:
None of the 9 I'm applying to require it, and they are top-notch schools (Michigan State, Nebraska, etc).

MSU and Nebraska top-notch schools?? hmmm...

Look at MSUCOM's rank in primary care and try to tell me that it is not "top-notch." Also, I've met many people from my school that interviewed at Nebraska with it not being their first choice, got an acceptance to their first choice, but still went to NU because they loved it so much. So much of the opinion of med schools is subjective. With a slight degree of variation, you can do any program you want from any school you want. The one that makes you the most happy is the most "top-notch" to you.

Eric

Oh I see I thought you were referring to the allopathinc schools. Yeah you are right MSU is great in Osteo. I have been in the campus and seen the school. East Lansing is great in the summer. I am not to crazy about their winters though. I am also interested in primary care as well.