Canadian student needing advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cleaner

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a Canadian studying in the States. Just wondering how Canadians are treated in the admission process. Just received my scores which came out to a 33, so will top-10 schools consider me if I have good GPA and decent extracurriculars (nothing spectacular like volunteering in Ghana unfortunately!)? Mucho gracias for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Zzzz123,

Welcome to SDN. As far as your questions go, the way Canadians are treated depends upon the individual school. Generally speaking, Canadians are not considered foreign applicants in the admission process. They are placed into the "out of state" category. Keep in mind that as far as financial aid is concerned, if you're not an American citizen or a permanent resident, then there's pretty much null financial support available (unless you get admitted into one of the Ivy's). Things might be different for you because you're studying in the states. I would check with the schools you're interested in. 33 is a great score and I would think that it's a competitive score provided your individual scores were not extremely lop sided (ie. 4, 14, 15). Either way, I would recommend applying if you have the time and money.

Out of curiousity, why did you choose to go to school in the states over Canada?

Good Luck :)

Originally posted by Zzzz123:
•Hi, I'm a Canadian studying in the States. Just wondering how Canadians are treated in the admission process. Just received my scores which came out to a 33, so will top-10 schools consider me if I have good GPA and decent extracurriculars (nothing spectacular like volunteering in Ghana unfortunately!)? Mucho gracias for any advice!•

00 is right. Canada is not so much a foreign country as a subject territory. Don't worry Uncle Sam always treats his subjects well.

Well, I actually studied at an American International School overseas, so I was always kinda prepped towards taking the SATs and applying to Ivies, so I figured, if I got into an Ivy school I'd go to the states, otherwise I would just stay in Canada. I think as with my undergrad degree, if I get into a top 10-20 med school in the States, then I'll go, if not hopefully I'll get in somewhere in Canada. And my scores aren't lopsided..V10,PS12,BS11...so hopefully I'll be qualified. Hmmm..and to the previous poster - I'm not too insulted - at least Canadians get to check out new products before the States because we're the "test market"..hahah :) But I think Canada is a great country in terms of the people - it's more "decent" is my reasoning.