adding schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moo

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After submitting your app thru AMCAS, can you add another school? If so, does resubmitting place your app at the bottom of the pile?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, at least last year, it was relatively easy to add a school. Last year, there was a form you had to print out from the AMCAS website, fill out COMPLETELY (I neglected an extra space asking for credit card exp. date, which held things up about 3 weeks), and send into AMCAS. They might just be doing electronic transmittal now. I added schools after my application was processed, and I don't think it added any additional delay that I could tell.

The way I understand it is this.

If you add another school and resubmit your application, then the medical schools will receive an electronically downloaded form that indicates a change in your application. If all you are doing is adding a school, then the only thing that should happen is that you get charged some more on the credit card and the additional school will be entered into the electronic queue to the list of schools you are applying to.

Now, if you change it after AMCAS has already downloaded the application to the med school list, then every med school will receive an electronic packet indicating a change of information, and the new med school will just get the original electronic application packet.

Supposedly it should not affect your application as a whole, but who knows really. With all the bugs in this application, I wouldnt chance it unless you are pretty sure that this new school is one of your top choices.

Keep in mind that I base this solely on the FAQ for the medical schools to AMCAS, so take it worth a grain of salt. That FAQ is really long, but if you browse long enough it does mention what happens if an applicant changes the application and does a re-submittal.

Good luck

Let me just add that while reading through the medical school-AMCAS FAQ, I noticed that the attitude of many of the med school admissions officers was that it would be too difficult to keep up with all the application changes by so many applicants.

If you are just adding a school, it shouldnt be that bad, but if you change other stuff, the med schools might or might not take notice of it. It sounds like they are going to be pretty overwhelmed with all of this electronic data coming from AMCAS in the form of initial application downloads and electronic changes.