USC secondary...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhiro

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question guys...

I recieved an email asking me to submit an online secondary for USC. I noticed the section asking if I have taken the necessary pre-reqs (ie Bio, Gen Chem, Orgo, Phys, Biochem, Molecular Bio, and 30hrs Humanities)...

Now, my problem is that I have not and will not be taking Molecular Biology in the next year. Therefore it seems as if I will not be eligible for admission to Keck!

So, should I not even bother sending USC's secondary in?? I don't want to pay the fee but I also don't want to shut the door so early for a school that has offered me a secondary.

Any thoughts....

Thanks chums...

meh

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. As long as you take the classes before you matriculate, you are fine.

does USC screen? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by KatieJune
does USC screen? thanks!

No. keck doesn't screen

calbears

r u applying to SC?

Originally posted by dr kevin40
calbears

r u applying to SC?

heck yeah....i have lotsa friends there...go trojans!!!

r they premed? what yr r they

On a similar note, do they require molecular biology to be a separate course from the year-long bio sequence? One quarter in my intro. sequence was basically devoted to MolBio.

yes. needs ot be separate.

I know this is a frequently discussed topic, but how does USC view AP credit? In general, they always say to check with each individual school on their policies, but I don't see anything listed for Keck. I was wondering if AP Bio could count as part of the general Bio requirement....and then using part of the real college stuff for MolBio. Is this legal?

Unfortunately, I highly doubt that. I'm pretty sure Keck is very strict about requiring all classes to be taken in college, so AP is basically worthless (just like the undergrad school!). If worse comes to worse you can take the class the summer before you start if you get accepted and want to go there.

since you guys seemed to all have the secondary also,

I was wondering about question 3) - are A) and B) separate parts. Like questions to be answered separately with 250 words for each? Or can we only have 250 for the entire question?
Should the question even be answered in separate parts or do they want one answer that addresses both A) and B)?? Thanks for the help
ewwwwwwww, I just felt a wave of anal pre-medism wash over me. excuse me, I have to go shower now

.I was wondering about question 3) - are A) and B) separate parts. Like questions to be answered separately with 250 words for each? Or can we only have 250 for the entire question?

I assumed they meant 250 words for the entire question. I'm trying to do sort of a composite answer addressing both educational environment and diversity of the entering class. I guess we'll find out when we actually get to the page where we submit our answers, but it'll be a little late by then.

And yes, please take a shower. :) I might need a run through the sprinklers too. I'm not normally like this

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I saw two separate boxes for parts A and B.... so I am writing a 250 word essay for each part....

Me too, I think they want 250 words for each part because there are two different boxes.

Originally posted by mystic_b
I know this is a frequently discussed topic, but how does USC view AP credit? In general, they always say to check with each individual school on their policies, but I don't see anything listed for Keck. I was wondering if AP Bio could count as part of the general Bio requirement....and then using part of the real college stuff for MolBio. Is this legal?

I called. They said no. Take the class, yo.

does USC automatically give out 2ndaries??

Because it's the only school i haven't gotten a secondary yet? you think soemthing went wrong and they didnt get my amcas package?

:rolleyes:

usc doesn't screen. you should have received an email with your login password (the login name is your amcas id, i believe).

Thanks for all the input everyone. Silly me, I was only looking on the USC secondary worksheet where they don't have boxes to input the essays, so I couldn't tell if there was one or two text boxes. I didn't know it was all right to click on the next page button on the first page of the real app because I hadn't answered the first question about, "Why Keck?" yet. Now I see two boxes. Do they actually count words in the boxes?

I submitted AMCAS at the end of July and I got USC's secondary by email less than one week later. So, they seem to be pretty quick with things.

I just graduated in June. I don't think I'll take a MolBio class for now. I'll do it later, if I somehow end up at SC and they won't let me in without it, but I don't want to bother for now. I wonder if they won't like me because of that. If they do, I'll just have to depend on my other schools.

What the heck? I downloaded the worksheet probably the first day it came out and some of the questions are completely different now! I've been answering the wrong prompts. WTF?!? So, word to the wise, if you haven't checked out USC's worksheet in a while, do so now.

Originally posted by pocwana
What the heck? I downloaded the worksheet probably the first day it came out and some of the questions are completely different now! I've been answering the wrong prompts. WTF?!? So, word to the wise, if you haven't checked out USC's worksheet in a while, do so now.

if you check one of the other threads on SC's secondary, I pointed this out almost the first day that the worksheet questions were different from the actual app... reading SDN pays off! :)

Originally posted by Dr. Dodger Dog

if you check one of the other threads on SC's secondary, I pointed this out almost the first day that the worksheet questions were different from the actual app... reading SDN pays off! :)

haven't been on sdn much lately. working and all, don't get past the first page of threads very much nowadays...
thanks for the info, though :)

Speaking of this two part question, how are you guys interpreting/answering this question? I guess how someone contributes to the diversity of the class is fairly obvious, but how does someone contribute to the "educational environment?" What do they mean by educational environment anyway? Would you say something like - I love to help people study and succeed, I love to participate in discussions, etc.?

would anyone be able to give me the USC secondary questions and word limits so I can start working on them while I'm waiting for AMCAS? thanks!

Please briefly explain your interest in the Keck School of Medicine.
Please limit response to no more than 250 words

Briefly describe any unique qualities and ablilites you possess which would contribute to:

(A) the educational environment

(B) the diversity of the entering class

Please provide a summary of your most relevant leadership experiences.

Briefly describe your most relevant extra-curricular activites (volunteer, research,serving disadvantaged or underserved populations, etc...) related to your interest in medicine.

Please provide a copy of the personal statement that you submitted on your AMCAS application.
Please limit response to no more than 5300 characters

Good Luck!

Welcome to SDN Stan. hope you enjoy it here.

Thanks Jalby. How is medical school?

hi guys!
hope everyone's USC app is going well. i got the online secondary email like 8/6. still haven;t done it though - Yikes

Did everyone get a letter from the school with a brochure mailed to them. Is this sent to everyone just for filling out AMCAS.

Thanks just curious b/c it seems out of order or a bit late.

I got the nifty booklet in the mail too. It also seemed way late in terms of timing, since I got the secondary at the beginning of August. So I guess everyone gets it.

I think I'm screwed - I'm doing this one last minute.

Are these two questions supposed to be answered as an essay or listed out?

Briefly describe your most relevant extra-curricular activites (volunteer, research,serving disadvantaged or underserved populations, etc...) related to your interest in medicine.

Anyone get an interview from USC yet? My file was just completed like a few weeks ago.

yeah, i have mine on tuesday. my file was complete sometime in late september and i got my interview invite 2 weeks ago. as was said on another thread, when setting up interviews online it appears they are booked through january. no doubt people will step down though. good luck.

Any takers?
How did you guys answer these two questions? essay or list?

they are all essay questions... no lists