"Easy" schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Caerulea
Speaking of SLU, I knew some students that had high credentials and couldn't get in there, so it's not as easy as one may think.

Sometimes, if your stats are above those of the school in question, they think you'll get in somewhere else and won't come so don't want to waste time on you.

And I would also love to know what/who "violets" are!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by dr kevin40
well if u can't get into that 50% group, then there's always next yr...and such.

screamingtrees,

I don' tthink that includes osteopathic schools. ifu think about it, 100+ med schools. if each med schools take in about 150 persons, then that's about 15,000 ppl a year. a lot of openings. ppl just need to stop flippingout.

wooooooooo whoooooooooppp

yes ur right.

dr. kevin, you made my life a lot more easier.

The thing is, you have to pick a school that matches to your profile. I've heard that lots of Ivy League kids from California don't get interviews at UC-Davis and UC-Irvine, because those schools don't think Ivy kids will go to them, so why waste their time? Along the same lines, one of my friends has interviews at Stanford, UCSF, and Michigan, but hasn't heard a thing from Jefferson, Sinai, and Einstein.

The adcoms try to match people to their schools, because they want to increase yield and not waste resources on people who won't go to their school. That's why there is no "easy" school to get into. If you're "overqualified," they might not even take a look at you. (Plus the fact that admit rates are so low anyway...there's no "safety school" like for undergrads)

-RA

Members don't see this ad :)
Violets=NYU students (their colors are purple and white)

Originally posted by Random Access
The thing is, you have to pick a school that matches to your profile. I've heard that lots of Ivy League kids from California don't get interviews at UC-Davis and UC-Irvine, because those schools don't think Ivy kids will go to them, so why waste their time? Along the same lines, one of my friends has interviews at Stanford, UCSF, and Michigan, but hasn't heard a thing from Jefferson, Sinai, and Einstein.

The adcoms try to match people to their schools, because they want to increase yield and not waste resources on people who won't go to their school. That's why there is no "easy" school to get into. If you're "overqualified," they might not even take a look at you. (Plus the fact that admit rates are so low anyway...there's no "safety school" like for undergrads)

-RA

ok so what about a person who is a cali resdient, and say below average to average applicant?

oh yea, i want to do undergrad resaerch but i dont know when to do it. i am a soph. i was thinking about 1st semester of junior year. i mma take a very light course load b/c i will be studying for mCAT's. so like a math or science class and resaerch...cool?
thanks guys, u have helped me alot.

The thing is, you have to pick a school that matches to your profile. I've heard that lots of Ivy League kids from California don't get interviews at UC-Davis and UC-Irvine, because those schools don't think Ivy kids will go to them, so why waste their time?

ugh...i hope they don't discriminate against us private school californians. i don't really want to shell out all the extra money for a private med school.

I would question anyone looking for an "easy" medical school. This is an oxymoron. Just think of the toughest course you had in undergrad (OChem, Biochem, Physics, or whatever). Imagine having the entire course crammed into the first 2 weeks of medical school. There is no such thing as an "easy" medical school (ask any current or former medical student)

Originally posted by applejuice1979
I would question anyone looking for an "easy" medical school. This is an oxymoron. Just think of the toughest course you had in undergrad (OChem, Biochem, Physics, or whatever). Imagine having the entire course crammed into the first 2 weeks of medical school. There is no such thing as an "easy" medical school (ask any current or former medical student)

Funny I actually know some dude doing MD/PhD at Harvard who described his experience at HMS as "an amusement park" compared to his undergrad work at University of Chicago. But I'm sure he was exaggerating. ;)

Originally posted by sluox
Funny I actually know some dude doing MD/PhD at Harvard who described his experience at HMS as "an amusement park" compared to his undergrad work at University of Chicago. But I'm sure he was exaggerating. ;)
I'm sure he was exaggerating, but this reminded me of a news story that I saw (I think on Nightline?).

It was how Harvard has changed its system so that the undergrad students get mostly A's. Their curriculum was purposefully lightened and made easier so that the students' QPA's would be boasted.

I think the reason the reporter said that they did it was because student grades had been slacking over the years? Maybe their admissions policies let in too many less then qualified students?? Even the students that were intereviewed by the reporter were laughing at how easy the curriculim was. Anyways, it was an interesting report, nevertheless. :eek:

Originally posted by lola
ugh...i hope they don't discriminate against us private school californians. i don't really want to shell out all the extra money for a private med school.

same here. i go to a private cali school too. university of the pacific.

Originally posted by Tuesday Weld
I'm sure he was exaggerating, but this reminded me of a news story that I saw (I think on Nightline?).

It was how Harvard has changed its system so that the undergrad students get mostly A's. Their curriculum was purposefully lightened and made easier so that the students' QPA's would be boasted.

I think the reason the reporter said that they did it was because student grades had been slacking over the years? Maybe their admissions policies let in too many less then qualified students?? Even the students that were intereviewed by the reporter were laughing at how easy the curriculim was. Anyways, it was an interesting report, nevertheless. :eek:

Yeah, Harvard's program is known for being easy. I think Stanford's is too, as is Yale. In fact, Yale rotations are definitely one of the easiest, as far as what I've heard...

-RA

Yeah, Harvard's program is known for being easy. I think Stanford's is too, as is Yale. In fact, Yale rotations are definitely one of the easiest, as far as what I've heard...

-RA
Concerning the latter med school, I heard the some hospitals were refusing to take their grads for residency programs?? The rumor was that their grads weren't prepared due to a slackening med school curriculum.

I'm not really convinced:

-RA
You could be right. As I said, it was a rumor. And as someone else said, it could have originated from the Cambridge side of MA. ;)

But I do agree with you about what you said how Harvard and Yale's program are no harder than anyone else's.