Schools that are ignoring me: can you top this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banannie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I applied to 20 schools, and my app. at most of these places has been complete for 2 or more months. I have made sure that everything is complete. And yet, not one of the following schools has asked me to interview, put me on hold, or even rejected me!

BU
Columbia
NYU
Cornell
Penn
Temple
Jefferson
Duke
UNC-CH (not that i expect anything from them)
UPitt
Northwestern
UChicago
Stanford
UCSF

plus, when I called to check on my status at Mount Sinai a month ago, I was told I was getting an interview, but I still haven't gotten the official invitation!

i realize these are all extremely competitive schools, but why are they all stringing me along like this? it's getting ridiculous! i'm tired of this passive aggression. :mad:

so, just curious, can anyone top my rate of 7 out of 10 schools simply ignoring me???

Members don't see this ad.

i can top your number, but not your rate: applied to 25 schools, rejected from 3 (know about 1 b/c i called otherwise i wouldn't know), interviews from 3, on hold for interview at 4 (know about 1 b/c i called otherwise i wouldn't know). have heard nothing from 15!

bleh.

haven't heard from:

Boston University School of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Emory University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Keck Sch. Of Med.University of Southern California
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicin
Oregon Health and Science University
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Yale University School of Medicine
Tufts

still holding out slight hope for bu, dartmouth, georgetown, loyola, davis, and tufts :(

see, the funny thing about UNC-CH is that they're ignoring me too, and i work across the frickin' street from the admissions office!! argh!!

i'm not getting any love from my alma mater, and it makes me sad. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I am right there with you:
I have not heard from NYU, Al Einst, Mount Sinai, Stoybrook, Uconn, Uva, Jeff, UVM, Loyola Strich

I already have an 2 acceptances and went on 8 interviews so I am not at all complaining but I have a feeling that at least some of these school who have said nothing to me since my apps were complete in SEPTEMBER are just making me wait so that I think they are actually still looking at me while, in reality, they have already passed me over but in case I am an annoying applicant who will call up to complain or somehting (I think someone here wanted to protest a rejection?!) they don't have to deal with me until interview season is over.

Also, my roommate last year never heard anything from 2 school after her app was complete, top name schools who didn't even bother to reject her, just cashed her check.

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
see, the funny thing about UNC-CH is that they're ignoring me too, and i work across the frickin' street from the admissions office!! argh!!

i'm not getting any love from my alma mater, and it makes me sad. :(

I didn't get any love from mine either, I got a rejection pre-secondary! And what you said beforehand also reminds me...I am working as an EMT this year in Chicago and since I work for private I go all over... and when I go to the hospitals of the IL schools that rejected me, I think that ha ha they rejected me, but then later that day I go to the hospitals of those who have accepted me and that's too cool!

yeah, i have tons of schools to hear back from--but i'm not getting my hopes up--well, maybe a little...anyway, you can call BU and U Chicago and ask them what up with your app and they'll tell you whether they will interview you or not. well, as long as we don't hear from them, we can still believe we're in the running for an interview, right?

good luck!

I have been ignored at:
Harvard
U. of Pennsylvania
Yale
Cornell
Washington U.
Michigan
Baylor
NYU (not even the damn postcard, had to call 'em)
Mt. Sinai
U. of Virginia
OHSU (home state, even)
USC
Tufts
Wake Forest
George Washington
Creighton

Some of those are "duh" ignored, and others aren't unrealistic, but I'm content to have something of a lull after cramming 12 interviews into the last three months....

hey! i'm in the same boat! 2ndary apps. done by august, but nothing from 10 of 19 - finch, gw, jeff, drexel, meharry, nymc, temple, tufts, umdnj-rwj (my state school), and wright. i've called all of them and have been told either "we interview until so and so date, so you will hear between now and then" or "you have been reviewed and placed in a no decision category, we will review you again later". with my low stats, i'm not hopeful at all really, but i think it would just be proper to reject people that you know you're not gonna consider.

i am also on the same boat, this boat is sure getting big...
applied to 18 schools...
File complete on November 5
(secondaries were finished in August and September, I was just waiting for the letters to be sent).
I have only interviewed at 1 school (my state school).
I have received an interview request at 1 school (U of MD) and am being ignored (although passed all of the screenings for secondaries, if applicable) by the others...

Penn
Harvard
Yale
U of Chi
USC
U of Ill
UCLA
JHU
NYU
Columbia
Stanford
Cornell
U of Pitt
U of MI
UCSF

I have one rejection (UCSD) and
I am not from California...

SO, when do people like me start to throw in the towel, when is the last month to get notified for an interview???
If I don't hear anything by say early Feb, zat good time to tap out?
also, do schools get mad at you if you call them and bug them about them ignoring you?? Is that a stike against you?? (of course, it really doesn't matter if you are already rejected)...

I'm not really complaining so much about this (so don't PM me telling me how lucky I am and should quit whining, trust me, I'm extraordinarily happy with how I'm doing) ...it's just really odd in my opinion. I completed applications for 17 schools and received interview invites from 13. here are the four I haven't heard from:

1. Cornell
2. Tufts
3. Boston
4. Harvard

I'm wondering if I accidentally wrote "I hate Boston and think all Bostonians should die" somewhere on my AMCAS application. I just can't believe I have all these interviews and not even one to a Boston school! Any Statistics people out there know the odds of that?

In case you're wondering, I was really hoping for a Boston invite because my longtime boyfriend's first choice for PhD programs is MIT.

We're not ignoring you. We just need some time to ourselves. We hope you understand. It's us, not you.

Originally posted by pillowhead
I'm not really complaining so much about this (so don't PM me telling me how lucky I am and should quit whining, trust me, I'm extraordinarily happy with how I'm doing) ...it's just really odd in my opinion. I completed applications for 17 schools and received interview invites from 13. here are the four I haven't heard from:

1. Cornell
2. Tufts
3. Boston
4. Harvard

I'm wondering if I accidentally wrote "I hate Boston and think all Bostonians should die" somewhere on my AMCAS application. I just can't believe I have all these interviews and not even one to a Boston school! Any Statistics people out there know the odds of that?

In case you're wondering, I was really hoping for a Boston invite because my longtime boyfriend's first choice for PhD programs is MIT.

BU and Tufts actively screen out high stat applicants so if you fit the mold, sorry. Cornell is frugal with its interview invites and don't take it as an insult if you don't get one. I am in the same boat as you as far as Cornell is concerned. Harvard is Harvard, enough said.

My ignore list:

U of Illinois
U Chicago
Northwestern
Duke
BU
Dartmouth
UNC
UCSF
Loyola
U of Wisconsin

and NYU just told me they didn't get my letters that I thought I sent a month ago......

mad rush to the mailbox continues.

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you mean by screening out high stat applicants? :confused:

My ignore list just got one shorter- so there is hope!
My files have been completed since September! (except drexel- whose secondary i didn't receive until late september)

As of Monday- my ignore list was:

UMDNJ- NJMS (my state school)
DREXEL
TEMPLE
SUNY STONYBROOK

I got an interview offer from NJMS later this week, so it gives me some hope!

good luck to everyone on their "ignore" lists!

Originally posted by alphabeta53
BU and Tufts actively screen out high stat applicants so if you fit the mold, sorry. Cornell is frugal with its interview invites and don't take it as an insult if you don't get one. I am in the same boat as you as far as Cornell is concerned. Harvard is Harvard, enough said.

:(
But that's so silly! People don't necessarily go to a medical school just because it's highly ranked...there are personal reasons too. I probably will go to one of the not so highly ranked schools I got into because I see myself being happier there and it's closer to my boyfriend.

My Turn:

Stanford
George Washington
Boston
Tufts
Cornell
UPittsburgh
UPenn
WashU
Northwestern

My apps at virtually all these places were complete in mid-October.

The schools I have heard back from:

UofChicago (2.5 weeks)
Georgetown (2 weeks)
CWRU (3 weeks)
UF (2 days)
USF (2 weeks)

I see a trend here. All the schools I have heard back from got back to me fairly quickly. All the other schools are taking too long. I mostly expect rejections from them, except for maybe BU, Tufts, and GWU and thats only because they get a boatload of applications that they have to sift through.

In any case, this is getting kind of frustrating! I just want an acceptance!

Places I have not heard from:
Einstein
Columbia
Sinai
Jefferson
Loyola
Wash U
Tulane
This may not be a full list... I always forget one or two. Worst of all is Columbia, since I happen to work there.
And today really sucks, since I got my first post-interview rejection. I guess part of the reason involved the flu medicine and fever-induced blank look I gave my interviewer for each question he asked me. And worse yet, I got a terrible haircut today. :(

Irritating: I had my stuff in the third week of October (for the most part) and still haven't heard from the following schools:

Harvard
Penn
Cornell
Dartmouth
Yale
Wake Forest
Michigan
Emory
Tufts
BU

Then again, the last two med school related mail items to come in the mail were ding letters, so maybe I shouldn't be watching the mailbox too closely.

sigh.

McT

I'm still waiting for *any* news from UC Irvine for a secondary. So count your blessings guys.

UCSB, same here! I'm beginning to wonder what the hell is up with Irvine.

hey Pillowhead, I haven't heard from these schools:

Tufts
Harvard
Cornell
(the same as you :))

but I've interviewed at JHU UPenn Colum and some others. I just don't get it. I guess I must have accidentally written about hating Boston or something in my Personal Statement too.

A buddy of mine who goes to Harvard was told by his premed advisor that if you are interested in BU you have to actually write them a letter saying yer interested; otherwise they'll cash your check and maybe not even honor you with a response.

:mad:

So send them a letter telling them you're interested! There is a real possibility they might ignore you (unconscionable considering they charge 100 dollars for the non-response; do an SDN search for BU non-responses if you don't believe me).

Originally posted by pillowhead
:(
But that's so silly! People don't necessarily go to a medical school just because it's highly ranked...there are personal reasons too. I probably will go to one of the not so highly ranked schools I got into because I see myself being happier there and it's closer to my boyfriend.

Damn, should have maybe sent the letter to BU. Got the rejection last week.

I'm still being ignored post secondary by:

Stanford
Cornell
Northwestern
Loyola
Michigan
Temple
Jefferson
Tulane
Tufts

I was at least expecting an immediate rejection from Stanford. But they'll probably sit on it until march and then send me the thin letter. arg.

I applied to 20 schools. I completed the majority of my apps by the end of July. I haven't heard from:

Albert Einstein
Finch
Jefferson
Loyola
Mt. Sinai
St. Louis
Tufts
Temple
UMDNJ-NJ Med (state school!)
:mad:

tedstriker,
hmm, I sent a letter of interest explaining my personal interest in Boston with my check b/c it just felt wrong only sending a check in the mail. but maybe I should write them again...show them i think they're worth the extra stamp.

arsh,
i like you name :)
we should go protest up in Boston. actually, i didn't apply to as many "big name" schools as you did (judging by where you said you interviewed)...congrats on those! too bad you can't trade interviews. i'd love to give one of my friends who is applying now my Mt. Sinai and USC interviews for his Tufts and Bosto interviews. We should all come up with a way to make this work!

Wow, I guess a lot of us are being ignored.

My list:

Tufts
GW
UMD-Baltimore
Duke

Oh well, we'll see. :p

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm in the same boat. Posts like these help. Always nice to know there are others feeling the same way...left out!

I have interviewed at one school, but have heard nothing from:

Wright State
Ohio State
Univ. of Cinn.
Univ. of Col.
Already rejected from Vandy
Univ. of Tenn and East Tenn (MCAT not high enough for out of state resident I was told (mcat=27).

I think my issue probaby resides in the fact that I am applying as a non-resident in all of these programs, and a 27 doesn't carry much merit I suppose...Was simply hoping that schools may look past this blemish...wishful thinking I suppose.

I didn't apply to nearly as many schools as many of you, however, I'm beginning to wish I had.

All I can say is hang in there, I'm sure many of us posting on this thread may have a new viewpoint come this spring....I HOPE!!

Actually, most of you should be thankful, so far, for the silence. I got 2 rejection letters in the mail yesterday (BU and MCW), so I hate my mailbox right now.

Here is my list of silence:

Northwestern
Emory
U of Iowa
U of Minnesota
GW
Tufts
NYMC
Finch

I applied to Finch fearing I would not get in anywhere else, but I got into Loyola, so I'm thankful for that! Waiting for post-interview response from UIC, got waitlisted at Univ of Wisc and Rush.

i know i am super lucky for my interviews, but basically the top of my list ditched me... after rejections from JHU and Dartmouth (ouch!) I havent heard anything from:

Harvard
Penn
Yale
Cornell
Sinai
Emory

wexy, maybe we have some similarities in our apps that these schools don't like?

Yale
Cornell
Sinai
Emory
Stanford
BU

i want to say that i finished late at these schools, but it's still been at least 2 months for some of these and still no news...

Mvervaine! I totally am feeling it dude.. I never sent the stanford secondary, otherwise they would be on my list too!

UOTE]Originally posted by mvervaine
wexy, maybe we have some similarities in our apps that these schools don't like?

Yale
Cornell
Sinai
Emory
Stanford
BU

i want to say that i finished late at these schools, but it's still been at least 2 months for some of these and still no news...
[/QUOTE]

I think I have a long list of schools that ignored me post secondary
Yale
Harvard
Stanfurd
USC
GW
Loyola
Emory
Morehouse
Duke

Just found out Morehouse didn't have my LOR's ....which were sent August 28!!!!! This sux rocks. Anyway...i know the feeling of being ignored and on hold UCI post interview....UCSD pre-interview....when will the silence end!:mad:

Wow, it's been half a year since I applied, and I STILL haven't heard from:

Harvard
Wake Forest
Temple
Mt. Sinai
Einstein
Columbia
Penn State

Just reject me already!

+pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

Ooh, let me play!

Stanford
Northwestern
Wake Forest
Case Western
U of Wisconsin (my alma mater!!)
Rush
MCW

Technically, though, I'll be hearing from MCW today or tomorrow. I called this morning, and a letter went in the mail yesterday. :( I also talked to Wake Forest today, and found out I'm in the we-only-want-you-if-no-one-better-wants-us second interview candidate pool. Ah, well.

Good luck y'all!

Just got the Wake Forest pre-secondary rejection yesterday. :mad:

Off the top of my head I am still waiting to hear a single peep out of:

Jefferson
Loyola
NYU
Mt. Sinai
UVA
GW
USC (CALI)
Pitt
EMORY
Tufts
Temple

And a few others I cannot remember bc I am at work and it has been MONTHS since I turned in the secondaries. Oh and I recently took Dartmouth and Northwestern off the list and added them to the rejection pile. I love it!

BTW for anyone applying to Pitt I heard from a friend who goes there they will be giving out interviews until the 10th of Jan. Good luck to all of you!

glad to hear some of us are in the dark still:
out of 18 schools, 4 rejections (expected), 2 holds (UCSD and Rush), one interview, and no word from:

Tufts
Temple
Cornell
Ohio State
USC
UCIrvine
UVermont
NYMC
Wright State
Dartmouth
GW

so i'm there with you!

oh yeah, and my apps have been complete since mid-october

I'm with you too....
No love from

BU
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Upstate
Finch
TJU
Loyola
UMD
Mt. Sinai
NYMC
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
UVa

Sigh...:rolleyes: Waiting sucks.

Silence from:

Albany
Cincy
GW
Finch-CMS
Jefferson
Loma Linda
Loyola
MCOW
MCV/VCU
NYMC
NYU
Pitt
Rush
Temple
Tufts

Things were going slow at work today so I've alphabetized!
:laugh:

update: i've heard back from almost half my schools :eek: am on hold for interview from 4 and am waiting to hear news from:

Dartmouth
UCLA
Emory
Harvard
USC
Loyola
Northwestern
OHSU
UC Davis
Pitt
UVA
Yale
Tufts

still holding out slight hope for dartmouth, loyola, davis, and tufts. my mcat is too low for most of the others. it's probably too low for davis & dartmouth, but they are 2 of my top choices, so i'm going to keep hoping!

I applied to only 7 schools primary and secondary (MD/PhD). I have 6 interview invites so far and.... UNC still hasn't said "boo"

I mean Hopkins, Duke, Penn, Pitt, Baylor and Emory like me and the 'Heels don't? Or are they just slow about getting things done?

hey dudes
I also have a long ignore list - although lots of them are really good schools I didnt have much of a shot of getting into so I shouldnt complain. :)

Penn
Jeff
Albert Einstein
UCLA
Baylor
Tufts
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Northwestern
Loyola

Hmm think thats it...yeah all those are solid schools so I'm not surprised...NYC show me some love so i can visit!

Originally posted by gonflable
I applied to only 7 schools primary and secondary (MD/PhD). I have 6 interview invites so far and.... UNC still hasn't said "boo"

I mean Hopkins, Duke, Penn, Pitt, Baylor and Emory like me and the 'Heels don't? Or are they just slow about getting things done?

Don't worry too much about UNC, gonflable. I haven't heard from them at all and when I called they said they're just moving slow in general this year. Hurricanes in the fall messed them all up.

No Christmas card for:

Wright State
Cincinnati State
Ohio State
Med. College of Ohio
Ohio Univ.
Mich. State

Hey guys,
I haven't heard ANYTHING from:

Tufts
NYMC
Jefferson
George Wash
Wash U
UCI (secondary!)
UCLA (secondary!)
Columbia (MSTP app)
Mount Sinai (MD/PhD applicant)
Temple
Penn (MSTP)
Yale (MSTP)
JHU
Harvard (MSTP)

OK--what is wrong with the East Coast already....I am from Cali, but I applied to schools over there fearing the wrath of the UC's

Here are my stats

4-- pre-secondary rejects
4--post-secondary rejects
2 interviews:
UCLA
USC
Still waiting on: :mad:
Loyola
Northwestern
George Wash
Albert Einstein
UC Irvine (on hold)
Boston
OHSU
Georgetown

I finished all secondaries in August & September
But as some wise SDN poster once said, it only takes one acceptance and once interview to be back at the books come fall.

;)

Ignored by:

Hopkins
Harvard
Creighton
George Washington
Maryland
Tufts
Penn State
Drexel
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Iowa
UCSF
Michigan
UVM
Baylor
Northwestern
Einstein

Some of these schools are definite reaches with little or no hope, but I thought I'd be competitive at some of the above places. Oh well.

And a warning: I applied last year, and a lot of the schools never even bothered to send me rejection letters: this list includes
Duke
all the UCs
Penn
CWRU

so beware; a lot of these schools lack the decency to respond to you come April/May.