Let’s get to the point! Here’s what you need to know when using the SDN Forums:
- Protect anonymity. Remember, students, doctors, schools and professional organizations follow the SDN Forums. Please keep your identity protected – don’t post or use your real name on the forums. Additionally, members are not permitted to solicit personally identifiable information from other members (such as through research surveys, etc.) without written permission from SDN or disclose another member’s identity without their written permission.
- Be courteous and contribute positively. If you’re not contributing to the forums in a positive manner, you may receive a warning or have your account temporarily or permanently closed.
- Use the search functions. The SDN Forums have been here since 1999. Chances are, someone has already asked the same question you may have.
- Stay on topic. Our membership encourages open discussion and debate as long as it relates to the topic of the thread at hand. Posts that do not relate to the original purpose or topic of the thread may be moved to a more appropriate location.
- Don’t advertise (SPAM). SDN is a nonprofit organization that promotes open discussion among students and doctors. It is not operated as a free service for promotion of your site, product or service. SDN does not allow ads in your signature, ‘stealth’ marketing, etc. These are quickly reported by our members and will result in banning and possibly blocking of site/product/service’s name from the SDN Forums. (Blocked URLs may be redirected to SDN’s Site ). If you wish to benefit our membership while promoting your organization, see our sponsorship section.
- Don’t cross-post on the forums. Just post once. Posting a question or comment in multiple forums is annoying to other members and, if flagged, may be removed as a duplicate.
- Use the “Report Bad Post” button to report inappropriate posts. It’s located at the bottom left of every post on the site. It immediately alerts the moderators.
- The truth will set you free. You may want to make a point but don’t stretch the truth. Make sure what you write is true and correct to the best of your knowledge, and if you used medical/health information from another resource, give credit where credit’s due, and be sure to reference the source.
- Respect copyrighted information. Selling or trading illegally copied materials is a federal offense; if reported or otherwise notified of such actions, SDN may report such piracy to copyright holders and appropriate agencies. Copying information from other Web sites hurts those sites’ ability to generate revenue. Read the DMCA notice.
- Harassment and flame-wars burn everyone. Be courteous. Just ignore those members that can’t discuss topics professionally. Remember, the academic healthcare community is relatively small; don’t behave in a manner which might get you into trouble now or in the future.
- Positive interactions between medical communities. The Student Doctor Network encourages members to engage in the wide variety of medical fields represented on the Forums. Open dialogue between medical professions promotes better understanding and working relationships. Please note, members that engage in attacking a specific field of medicine within that field’s forum may receive a warning or be banned from that forum. Forum members should encourage positive discussion between the professions.
- Images / Videos / Medical Images: No pornographic, sexually explicit, harassing or degrading images are permitted. This includes, but is not limited to, strategically covered nudity, sheer or see-through clothing, lewd or provocative poses, close-ups of breasts, buttocks, or crotches. However, medical images and videos are permitted when approval has been obtained, contains no Protected Health Information (“PHI”), and has no images of the patient’s full face. Images must meet HIPAA policies on PHI. You are responsible for any images posted as SDN does not review any images or videos submitted to its Forums.
- Kill trolls quickly. If you find a member that is clearly trolling, do not engage them (that’s what they want). Instead, please report their post. If you engage with a troll, you may receive a warning and/or more serious repercussions, such as a temporary or permanent ban.
- TROLLS AND SPAMMERS BEWARE. Trolling and spamming interferes with operation of our nonprofit site. Those who troll or spam are trespassing on our network. SDN will take any and all legal and technical remedies to prevent trolling and spamming of our network. Don’t let a moment of disinhibition permanently impact your career.
- Once you’ve posted on the site, it’s there forever. Only in extreme rare and limited circumstances will SDN accept requests to delete posts you have made. Even if we can remove a post that you regret posting, they are often permanently cataloged in sites like Google or the Internet Archive.
- Don’t delete mail with the SPAM button. Members that indiscriminately use their email account’s “SPAM” button instead of the “Delete” or “Archive Mail” button will receive a warning and/or more serious repercussions, such as a temporary or permanent ban.
- Don’t be a poser. Chances are you’re not the dean of admissions or a neurosurgeon … and everyone knows it. Impersonation is a crime in some states – don’t ruin your future over something silly like that. But if you are a neurosurgeon, or other health provider, let us know! Request a fancy “Verified” badge from the Help Desk so members know your status when you answer forum questions.
- No sockpuppeting. Just use one account. Multiple accounts are at risk of being banned and future registration blocked.
- Be sure to have fun! The educational process can be frustrating sometimes. We’re all in it together and we’re here to help each other. So, pull up a chair and enjoy the SDN Forums.
The SDN Forums Terms of Service (“TOS”)
The Student Doctor Network, a subsidiary of Coastal Research Group (collectively, “SDN”), is dedicated to developing and maintaining a friendly online community, where members of backgrounds feel relaxed and comfortable. Like any community, The Student Doctor Network has certain standards. When members use the SDN website, located at http://www.studentdoctor.net, or join the SDN forums, located at http://forums.studentdoctor.net (collectively, “Site” or “Forums”), they agree to abide by these rules. To remain a part of SDN’s Forums, members must be considerate to others. Repeated violations of these standards may result in a member being temporarily suspended or barred from entry or participation in SDN’s Site.
Online Service Agreement
BY ACCESSING OR USING SDN’S SITE, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TOS. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THE TOS, YOU MAY NOT ACCESS OR USE THE STUDENT DOCTOR NETWORK’S SITE.
SDN, IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION, MAY MODIFY THESE TOS AT ANY TIME. AN EMAIL WILL BE SENT TO YOUR REGISTERED E-MAIL PROVIDING A) A SUMMARY OF THE CHANGES MADE TO THE TOS AND B) A THE FULL TEXT OF THE NEW TOS. YOUR CONTINUED ACCESS OR USE OF SDN’S SITE SHALL BE DEEMED YOUR CONCLUSIVE ACCEPTANCE OF THE MODIFIED AGREEMENT.
The information contained in SDN’s Forums is presented for the purpose of educating students and medical professionals about the healthcare education process and the practice of medicine. Nothing contained in SDN’s Site is intended to be instructional for medical diagnosis or treatment. The information should not be considered complete, nor should it be relied on to suggest a course of treatment for a particular individual. It should not be used in place of a visit, call, consultation or the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider. Information obtained in SDN’s Site is not exhaustive and does not cover diseases, ailments, physical conditions or their treatment. Should you have any health care related questions, please call or see your physician or other qualified health care provider promptly. Always consult with your physician or other qualified health care provider before embarking on a new treatment, diet or fitness program. You should never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in SDN’s Site.
The information contained in SDN’s Forums is compiled from a variety of sources (collectively, “Information Providers”). Neither SDN nor Information Providers directly or indirectly practice medicine or dispense medical services as part of SDN’s Site.
2. AGE REQUIREMENTS
You must be at least thirteen (13) years old to use SDN’s Site. Children under the age of thirteen (13), or legal guardians acting on their behalf, are strictly prohibited from using SDN’s Site. You represent and warrant that you are at least thirteen (13) years of age and that you possess the legal right and ability to enter into TOS and to use SDN’s Site in accordance with these TOS.
a. Licenses Granted to Users by SDN: By these TOS, SDN grants users of SDN’s Forums, subject to the terms of these TOS, a limited, non-transferable and non-exclusive license to access, explore and otherwise use SDN’s Forums in a manner consistent with these TOS for their personal, non-commercial purposes. Commercial use of SDN’s Forums is strictly prohibited. Examples of, but not limited to, commercial uses this license prohibits:
- The sale of access to SDN’s Site
- The sale of advertising, sponsorship, or promotions, including links placed to such, in SDN’s Site. However, this does not include non-paid opinions and reviews of products, schools, and etc.
- The linking and/or reposting of any content or material delivered from SDN’s Site to any webpage that contains advertising, which would include an ad-enabled blog
- Otherwise selling and/or profiting, or permitting others to profit, from SDN’s Site and the content and materials therewithin.
All content and material taken in accordance with these TOS from SDN’s Site, except where otherwise noted, must be licensed to others under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License, which is available at <http: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/>.
b. Licenses Granted by User to SDN: User grants to SDN, and its partners and affiliates, a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual license:
(i) To copy, reproduce, display, transmit, perform, or otherwise use user’s content or material on SDN’s Site, for promotional uses, or for other uses furthering SDN’s educational mission of educating students and medical professionals about the healthcare education process and the practice of medicine;
(ii) To create derivative works, such as compilations, collections, or translations, based upon the underlying content or material from user, which SDN shall also be permitted to copyright and use as granted under 17 U.S.C. §§101, et seq., and
(iii) The authority to take legal action on behalf of the user regarding the content or material as related to copyright violation. This could include, but is not limited to, sending cease and desist letters to third parties for porting part or all of SDN’s Forums to another site or filing a DMCA notice. SDN may contact you before taking such actions.
c. License Granted by User to other Users of SDN’s Site: User grants to other users of SDN’s Site a non-exclusive, worldwide, non-transferable license to use user’s content or material for that users own personal, non-commercial use.
4. USER CONTENT AND MATERIAL; USAGE
4.1 SDN DOES NOT REVIEW ANY COMMUNICATIONS OR MATERIALS POSTED OR UPLOADED TO SDN’S SITE by users and is not responsible for the content of these communications and materials. However, SDN reserves the right after being notified by a third party to block or remove communications or materials that it determines, in SDN’s sole discretion, to be:
(a) abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, offensive and/or harmful;
(b) fraudulent, deceptive, or misleading;
(c) in violation of a copyright or trademark, other intellectual property right of another; or
(d) is offensive or otherwise unacceptable to SDN and its mission statement.
ANY MESSAGES, ADVICE, OPINIONS OR OTHER INFORMATION PROVIDED ON OR THROUGH SDN’S SITE SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS PROFESSIONAL OR MEDICAL ADVICE OR INSTRUCTION.
4.2 All content or materials posted on or shared through SDN’s Site are the sole responsibility of the user. SDN shall assume no liability or responsibility for user-posted materials, including, but not limited to, copyright violations or defamatory statements.
4.3 SDN strictly prohibits the following actions being taken on its Site
(a) Simultaneous use, unattended, or continuous connections to SDN’s Site with one account;
(b) Posting or transmitting any content which is listed in Paragraphs 4.1 (a)-(d);
(c) Uploading, downloading, posting, or transmitting any content that would violate the property rights of others, including, but not limited to, copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, and rights of privacy and publicity. However, users are permitted to submit such content to SDN’s Site with the necessary consent from the right’s holder(s);
(d) Posting or transmitting any content that would violate any agreement you may have signed with any third party;
(e) Using SDN’s Site to threaten, harass, stalk, abuse, or otherwise violate the legal rights (including rights of privacy and publicity) of others;
(f) Intercepting, or attempting to intercept, the emails or other private communications not intended for you;
(g) Sending emails to users for any purpose other than personal communication, including, but not limited to, advertising, offering, or soliciting to sell goods or services to other users;
(h) Sending unsolicited email messages through third-party mail servers in order to relay your email or hide the origination of your email to others;
(i) Requesting or otherwise soliciting information regarding illegal activities. This includes, but is not limited to, how to obtain or use pirated software, registration keys or codes for software, or illegally photocopied/scanned materials;
(j) Deleting, or falsifying, any author attributions, legal notices or proprietary designations or labels in any content submitted or exchanged through SDN’s Site;
(k) Using SDN’s Site in a manner that adversely affects the availability of its resources to other users;
(l) Using, downloading, copying, or otherwise providing (whether or not for a fee) to a person or entity any portion of SDNs directory or any portion thereof other than for personal, noncommercial purposes (except as otherwise expressly permitted by the SDN);
(m) Falsely purporting to be an employee or agent of SDN;
(n) Falsely purporting to be a moderator of SDN’s Forums;
(o) Causing repeated disruptive incidents;
(p) Attempting to decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or otherwise interfere with or damage SDN’s Site. This includes, but is not limited to, the circumvention of any technological protection measures such as user authentication or password-protected material and content on SDN’s Site.
4.4 Registered users may send and receive electronic mail (“email”), engage in conferences and chats, download and upload files and otherwise use SDN’s Site as permitted by these TOS and applicable law. SDN may review e-mails if notified by a third-party as to inappropriate content, as specified in 4.1, or a violation of these TOS.
SDN considers its users’ privacy to be of the utmost importance. Please see our Privacy Statement for a detailed description of our information gathering and dissemination practices for the Student Doctor Network Web site.
a. SDN reserves the right to modify SDN’s Site, including the various services offered, at any time;
b. You are responsible for providing your own access (e.g., computer, mobile device, Internet connection, etc.) to SDN’s Site. This also includes maintaining up-to-date contact information and securing user passwords;
c. SDN provides SDN’s Site on an “as is” and “as available” basis. You therefore use SDN’s Site at your own risk. SDN expressly disclaims any and all warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including, but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, and any other warranty that might arise under any law. Without limiting the foregoing, SDN makes no representations or warranties that SDN’s Site:
- Will be permitted in your jurisdiction;
- Will be uninterrupted or error-free;
- Will meet your personal needs;
- Will be free of human and machine errors, omissions, delays, interruptions or losses, including loss of data;
- Will transmitted all user content, materials, or messages or that they will appear exactly as submitted to SDN’s Site; or
- Will be backed-up and protected indefinitely
d. SDN TAKES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS, WEBSITES OR AGREEMENTS. Certain content, products and/or services offered through SDN’s Site may include materials from third parties or links to other websites. SDN does not warrant or endorse, does not assume, and will not have any liability or responsibility for any third-party materials or websites, agreements or any other materials, or products or services. Links to other websites are provided solely as a convenience to you.
e. SDN may delete email or private messages if it has not been accessed by a user within 30 days; and
f. Content and materials posted on SDN’s Site by users and third parties, and links or downloads thereof, reflect only the views of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of SDN. Furthermore, SDN makes no warranties or representations that users will not find such content and materials inappropriate or offensive.
7. TRADEMARKS AND COPYRIGHT
THE STUDENT DOCTOR NETWORK®, SDN®, and other marks, logos and graphics are trademarks of SDN in the United States and abroad. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics, and logos used in connection with SDN’s Site may be the trademarks of their respective owners. You are granted no right or license with respect to any of the aforesaid trademarks or the use of any such use of trademarks.
The entire contents of SDN’s Site are copyrighted as a collective work (“Work”) under the laws of United States and other copyright laws. SDN holds the copyright in the Work. The Work includes works which are the property of the Information Providers, which may also be protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws. Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
YOU AGREE TO INDEMNIFY, DEFEND AND HOLD HARMLESS SDN, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, INFORMATION PROVIDERS AND SUPPLIERS FROM AND AGAINST ALL LOSSES, EXPENSES, DAMAGES AND COSTS, INCLUDING REASONABLE ATTORNEY’S FEES, RESULTING FROM ANY VIOLATION OF THESE TOS OR ANY ACTIVITY RELATED TO YOUR ACCOUNT (INCLUDING INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES’ WORLDWIDE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OR NEGLIGENT OR WRONGFUL CONDUCT) BY YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON ACCESSING SDN’S SITE USING YOUR ACCOUNT.
9. WAIVER, RELEASE AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
YOU AGREE THAT NEITHER SDN, NOR ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, INFORMATION PROVIDERS OR SUPPLIERS, SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU UNDER ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY OR INDEMNITY IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF SDN’S SITE. YOU HEREBY RELEASE AND FOREVER WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS YOU MAY HAVE AGAINST SDN, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, INFORMATION PROVIDERS OR SUPPLIERS (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO CLAIMS BASED UPON THE NEGLIGENCE OF SDN, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, INFORMATION PROVIDERS OR SUPPLIERS) FOR LOSSES OR DAMAGES YOU SUSTAIN IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF SDN’S SITE.
NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING PARAGRAPH, THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF SDN, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, INFORMATION PROVIDERS AND SUPPLIERS, IF ANY, FOR LOSSES OR DAMAGES SHALL NOT EXCEED THE FEES PAID BY THE USER TO SDN FOR UP TO ONE (1) YEAR FOR THE PARTICULAR INFORMATION OR SERVICE PROVIDED. IN NO EVENT SHALL SDN, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, INFORMATION PROVIDERS OR SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOSSES OR DAMAGES OTHER THAN THE AMOUNT REFERRED TO ABOVE. ALL OTHER DAMAGES, DIRECT OR INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE ARISING FROM ANY USE OF THE INFORMATION OR OTHER PARTS OF SDN’S SITE ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED EVEN IF SDN, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, INFORMATION PROVIDERS OR SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
10. THIRD PARTY RIGHTS
The provisions of paragraphs 8 (Indemnification) and 9 (Waiver, Release and Limitation of Liability) are for the benefit of SDN and its officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, suppliers, and Information Providers. Each of these individuals or entities shall have the right to assert and enforce those provisions directly against you on its own behalf.
11. TERM; TERMINATION
User accounts may be terminated:
- Either you or Coastal Research Group may terminate your right to use SDN’S Site at any time, with or without cause, upon notice.
- SDN may terminate, suspend, temporarily disable, and/or limit your services to SDN’s Site without prior notice due to violation of these TOS.
The provisions of paragraphs 7 (Copyright), 3 (License), 8 (Indemnification), 9 (Waiver, Release and Limitation of Liability), and 10 (Third Party Rights) shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
12. GOVERNING LAW AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- These TOS shall be construed, interpreted, and governed in all respects in accordance with the laws of California, USA, without giving effect to any conflict of law rule or principal that might result in the application of the laws of another jurisdiction and
- All disputes or actions arising under these TOS must be commenced in the state or Federal courts located in Placer County, CA, U.S.A., the jurisdiction and venue of which you hereby agree to.
Any cause of action or claim you may have with respect to SDN’s Site must be commenced within one (1) year after the claim or cause of action arises. SDN’s failure to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of these TOS shall not be construed as a waiver of any provision or right. Neither the course of conduct between the parties nor trade practice shall act to modify any provision of these TOS.
Coastal Research Group may deliver notice to you under these TOS by means of electronic mail, a general notice on SDN’s Site, or by written communication delivered by first class U. S. mail to your address on record SDN’s account information. You may give notice to SDN at any time via electronic mail or by letter delivered by first class postage prepaid U. S. mail to the following address:
Coastal Research Group
Granite Bay, CA 95746
14. COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT AND THE DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT (“DMCA”)
SDN respects the intellectual property rights of others and will seriously investigate and respond to all claims of copyright infringement. If you are a copyright holder, or authorized to act on behalf of a party that is the holder of an exclusive right to a copyrighted work, and if you believe that your copyright has been infringed, please send us a notice as set forth below:
- Specifically identify the work you are claiming to have been infringed. If you are claiming multiple works are being infringed a representative list of the copyrighted works may be submitted instead;
- Specifically identify the material or link you are claiming to be infringing or the subject of infringing activity that is to be removed and information reasonably sufficient to permit SDN to locate the material. Providing clear URLs is the best way to do this.
- Provide SDN with the following information to contact you:
Electronic mail address
- Submit a statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- Submit a statement that the information you have provided in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed; and
- Submit your physical or electronic signature. To sign electronically you may begin and end your name or initials with a “forward slash” (“/”). For example, Bob Q. Smith could electronically sign /BQS/ or /Bob Q. Smith/.
This notice should be sent to the following:
Student Doctor Network
c/o Natalie A. Remien
Levin Ginsburg Attorneys at Law
180 North LaSalle Street
Chicago IL 60601-2800
For other intellectual property or legal claims, please send us a notice at [email protected]
The provisions of this Agreement are severable, and in the event any provision hereof is determined to be invalid or unenforceable, such invalidity or unenforceability shall not in any way affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions hereof.