Effective 23 May 2018
Bottom Line Up Front
SDN is a nonprofit organization founded by students for students. We created this organization for the express purpose of helping students navigate an environment where other organizations and individuals wish to profit from them.
As part of our mission, we collect minimal information required for basic site operations. For account and technical assistance, member IP addresses are stored for only 90-days and then deleted from our database.
Upon request, we will delete your account and de-associate your screen name from posts. If you wish to delete posts, you can do that at any time (go to the post you wish to delete and select ‘edit’ or ‘delete’).
Who We Are
The Student Doctor Network, a subsidiary of Coastal Research Group (collectively, “SDN”) provides forums, websites, and applications (collectively, “Services”) that help students become doctors. We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) educational benefit corporation based in California.
How This Policy Applies
The Information We Collect and Receive
In order for you to create an account on SDN and use our Services, we need to collect and process certain information. Depending on your use of the Services, that may include:
- Information you provide by completing forms on SDN: Your email address, age, login, and password details. We may ask for this information if you register as a user of the Services, subscribe to our newsletters, or if you contact us.
- Information about the ways people visit and interact with our Services, in the form of traffic analytics: You can opt out of being included in Google Analytics here.
- Communications you send to us: For example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem.
- Your content that you submit on or to SDN in the form of comments, contributions to discussions, or messages to other users: Your content, date and time stamps, and all associated comments are publicly viewable on SDN, along with your member name. This also may be indexed by search engines and be republished elsewhere on the Internet in accordance with our Terms of Service.
- Linked Network Email: The email address associated with your Facebook account, if you choose to sign up using your Facebook credentials.
You may decline to provide us with your information. However, this will limit your ability to register an account or use our Services.
You may review, change, or remove your information through your account settings. To delete your account, contact us and we will delete your account.
When you delete your account, your profile is no longer visible to other users. Please note, however, that the posts, comments, and messages you submitted prior to deleting your account will still be visible to others, unless you delete such content. We may also retain certain information about you as required by law or for legitimate business purposes after you delete your account.
We will retain your information as long as your account is active, as necessary to provide you with the Services or as otherwise set forth in this Policy. We will also retain and use this information as necessary for the purposes set out in this Policy and to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements and protect SDN’s legal rights. Except for the IP address used to create your account, SDN will delete any IP addresses collected after 90 days.
We may receive and process information about your location. We may receive location information from you when you choose to share such information on our Services, including by associating your content with a location, or we may derive your approximate location from other information about you, including your IP address.
We take reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
How We Use This Information
We do not sell your personal data to third parties to use for their own marketing purposes. We use the information we collect for the following purposes:
- To enable us to provide you with our Services and to improve and promote our Services.
- To create and administer your account, contact you, and customize your experience on SDN.
- To display internet-based advertising to you on SDN, to improve our advertising and measurement systems so we can show you relevant ads, and to measure the effectiveness and reach of ads and Services. For more information, see About the Ads.
- To track and analyze use of our Services so that we can improve how SDN is performing and provide users with the best experience possible.
- To comply with legal obligations, as part of our general business operations, and for other business administration purposes.
European Union Users
Data protection law in Europe requires a “lawful basis” for collecting and retaining personal information from citizens or residents of the European Economic Area. Our lawful bases include:
- Legitimate interests: This is a technical term in data protection law which essentially means we have a good and fair reason to use your data and we do so in ways which do not hurt your interest and rights. We sometimes require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way that might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and that does not materially impact your rights, freedom, or interests.For example, we use identity, device, and location information to prevent fraud and abuse and keep our services secure. We may also send you promotional communications about our Services, subject to your right to control whether we do so.We analyze how users interact with our Services so we can understand better what elements of the design are working well and which are working not so well. This allows us to improve and develop the quality of the online experience we offer all our users.
How This Information Is Shared
We share information as set forth below, and where individuals have otherwise consented:
Information that is shared publicly
When you create an account, we create a basic profile page for you on SDN containing your username and the date the account was created. By default, your profile is private and you can choose to make profile information public in your account settings. Your username appears with the comments you post and messages you send on SDN and, if your profile is set to public, people can click your username to view profile. If you choose to make these profile items public, others will be able to see the following things:
- Your online status
- Your current activity
- Your month and date of birth
- Your year of birth
- Your details on your profile page
- Your identities
You may also choose to allow registered users or people you follow to do the following:
- Post messages on your profile page
- Receive your news feed
- Start conversations with you
If you use the SDN Forums or SDN chat room on this site, you should be aware that any personally identifiable information you submit there can be read, collected, or used by other users of these forums, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these forums. However, use of information for these purposes is a violation of our SDN Terms of Service. To request removal of your personal information from our community forum, contact us here.
We may offer social sharing features or other integrated tools that let you share content or actions you take on our Services with other media. Your use of these features enables the sharing of certain information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the third-party that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the third parties that provide these social sharing features (e.g., Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter).
Information that’s shared with trusted third-party services
We may share your information with certain trusted third-party services to help us provide, improve, promote, or protect SDN’s Services, as well as those who assist us in providing advertising services.
Information that’s shared to protect SDN and comply with the law
We do reserve the right to disclose personal information when we believe that doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with the law or law enforcement, to prevent fraud or abuse, or to protect SDN’s legal rights, property, or the safety of SDN, its employees, users, or others.
Links to other websites and services
Links from this site are monetized through skimlinks.com. Skimlinks may receive and store certain personally non-identifiable information such as IP addresses, browser types, domain names, and other anonymous statistical data involving your use of the Site, the Software and/or the Services. To opt-out, go to: http://skimlinks.com/privacy-policy
Cookies, Pixels and Tracking
- Cookies. These are small files with a unique identifier that are transferred to your browser through our websites. They allow us to remember users who are logged in, to understand how users navigate through and use SDN Services, and to display personalized content and targeted ads (including on third party sites and applications).
- Pixels, web beacons, clear GIFs. These are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, which we use to track the online movements of users of SDN Services and the web pages of users of our ad services, and to personalize content. We also use these in our emails to let us know when they have been opened or forwarded, so we can gauge the effectiveness of our communications.
- Analytics Tools.We may use internal and third-party analytics tools, including Google Analytics. You can opt out of being included in Google Analytics The third party analytics companies we work with may combine the information collected with other information they have independently collected from other websites and/or other online products and services. Their collection and use of information is subject to their own privacy policies.
Do-Not-Track Signals. Please note we do not change system behavior within the SDN System in response to browser requests not to be tracked.
SDN Ads and Personalization
We may display personalized content and personalized ads based on information that we have collected via the SDN Site. We also may report aggregated or de-identified information about the number of users that saw a particular ad or content and related audience engagement information to users of our ad services.
You may opt out of much interest-based advertising on third party sites and through third party ad networks (including Google AdSense):
We do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 13 (or under the age of 14 for anyone living in Spain or South Korea) or knowingly allow such persons to register. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from a child under the relevant age without parental consent, we take steps to delete that information.
International Data Transfers
We are based in the United States and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer and storage of information in and to the U.S. and other countries, where you may not have the same rights as you do under local law.
Your California Privacy Rights
California law permits users who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we have disclosed their personal information (if any) for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year, as well as the types of personal information disclosed to those parties. If you are a California resident and would like to request this information, please submit your request in an email to [email protected].
If you have any questions or suggestions regarding our privacy statement, please contact us at:
Student Doctor Network
16835 Algonquin Street #106
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
Or use our contact form at: