Posting Stats for all 20 DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Herpeto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an excel file containing information (GPA, MCAT, % out-of-state, opinion etc...) in an excel file and wanted to post it for all to view. However, when I tried to upload the file it stated that the specific type of file is not valid to be uploaded. Therefore, if anyone knows a way to upload the file please let me know. Otherwise I would be willing to e-mail the file to those who want it.

Herp

Members don't see this ad.

No way to attach an excel file. :(

If you can convert it to PDF you can post it. You have to have full Acrobat to do that, though. Some people have posted excel documents on a webpage before (ie: a free one through your IP or other site) and then linked to it.

Send me the file and I'll put it on my website so you can link to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have the full Adobe or my own site etc... However, if someone wants to PM me with their address I shall sent it off.

Herp

Fenrezz,

Where do you want the file sent too? I can't PM it to you so do you have an e-mail?

Herp

You now have the information necessary to help many.

Herp

Big thanks to a exmike for converting the file to a pdf. Now you should be able to click on the file below to access the information on each of the 20 DO schools. Some of the information was acquired from the websites while the rest from speaking with admissions recruiters. My comments in the notes section are simply that. They detail some pertinent information and some opinions that may not agree with everyone's philosophy. Don't take them to heart. I hope this help.

Herp

Beautiful work, guys! Thanks!

I love the comment box for OSU "limited out of staters and it's in Oklahoma" :laugh:

That 10% for OSU out of state acceptance rate sounds kinda low. Are those numbers for last year?

Originally posted by Fenrezz
I love the comment box for OSU "limited out of staters and it's in Oklahoma" :laugh:

That 10% for OSU out of state acceptance rate sounds kinda low. Are those numbers for last year?

:laugh: Oklahoma isn't bad, I promise.

Yes, those do look like our class' stats.

A couple of caveats:

I think that we take 15% out of state, but I may be wrong on that.

The tuition listed is out-of-state (and has gone up for this school year). The in-state tuition is much lower.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just some random musings and a few clarifications from the nycom corner:

i heard today the incoming class at nycom has an average gpa of around 3.4-3.5 w/ a 8.3-8.5 mcat. Next, I wouldnt exactly consider nycom's campus "rural" being that it's 18 geographical miles from the largest city in the country. I'd call it suburban. The campus is rather quiet, but years three and four are anything but "rural", unless you want them to be. And, also the campus isnt exactly small. NYIT's campus is close to 400 acres I believe, granted NYCOM's part consists of 3 buildings all of which are relatively close together on the campus. Minor detail.

I'm also interested to hear what you mean by AZCOM's "years 3 and 4 are spent one on one with doctors in their practices instead of sitting on a ward... excellent"? AZCOMers, care to elaborate? Do you not see patients in hospitals?

Also, CCOM is about 45min- an hour outside chicago, is it not? Always wondered where exactly it was.

Other information that could be of value is # of training sites and more importantly where they are (ie... are you shipped all over the country for rotations), cost of housing in the area, and curriculum design (ie PBL, lecture, exam blocks, exams every monday, etc). Happy hunting.

:)

NSUCOM was approved for and now has 200 spots.

I don't want to sound like an ass or anything, but I go to LECOM and I really have to disagree with your notes. Maybe I'm defending my school, or maybe I'm just trying to keep it real.

1) LECOM is NOT in a rural area. It's is in Erie, PA, the third largest city in PA next to Philly and Pitt. I think there's something like 400,000 in the metropolitan area. That's not rural- it's not Chicago, but it's not rural either. If you think it's rural, you have NO idea what rural is(I love how Pikesville was rural, but we were VERY rural :laugh: ). Rural according to every definition I have heard is less than 5,000 people. I hate it when people from HUGE places think all other places are "rural." Well, if you live in Chicago, I guess you're rural...compared to Tokyo.

2) The school has brand new facilities...the technology does not suck.

3) LECOM doesn't have limited clinicals. Go here: http://www.lecom.edu/students/hospitals.htm
In fact, one could argue that clinicals are LECOM's strongpoint.

Dr_Sax, LECOM '07

:laugh: I'm laughing at the comment for DMU too ("Who wants to live in IOWA?") I can only speak for myself, but I am totally loving it here. I probably won't stay here for the rest of my life just because there are so many other places I want to see, but the school's in a nice area, the malls have all the shops that I'm used to, and then some, and there's no rush hour! Des Moines is exactly what I was looking for, in terms of having a metropolitan, yet "small town" environment. You really have to see it to believe it and understand. And orientation rocks :D

As I stated in my post, please don't take any of the comments to heart. I may be off on some of rural designations but that is what I learned from their website and reading interview postings on SDN. Everyone is welcome to defend their school, but do it in such a fashion that it provides needed information to others instead of simply berating my comments. Some of the information was from the class of 2003 and others from 2002. It just depended on what information the school had available when I contacted them. I am not here to offend anyone, just to try and provide some with an idea of what is expected to attain entrance into each school. My comments are specfic to me as I do not desire to live in certain geographical areas of the country. Others may differing opinions.

Herp

Yeah I have to agree with Dr. Sax....LECOM is VERY high tech!

I have heard of a smart board, but have not actually seen one...very cool!

oceandocDO,

CCOM is located in Downers Grove on a 105-acre campus. I think the campus is located about 30-minutes from Chicago, and a little further than that to get to downtown (that will depend on traffic).

AZCOM students do see patients in the hospital during their third and fourth years. At AZCOM we have a preceptor-based clinical program--meaning we do not just sit on a ward. We are assigned to a doctor and we do what he / she does. We go to the hospital, the office, ambulatory sites, etc. You can choose traditional rotations as well--it?s really up to you and what you want to do. The advantage of the program is that you receive more one-on-one training with greater chance to participate than you might in a large university hospital where you are third or fourth in line (under interns and residents). I haven't actually started yet, so someone that has been through it or who is going through it might have more insight.

I just wanted to clarify a couple of points...and take a moment to nitpick a tad....

1) It is Pikeville, not Pikesville. Was born and raised there and it's a common error. Rural would be a most apt description....end of the earth might be another one! :)

The clinical sites are spread across the region. There are sites all across the state of Kentucky, one in Virginia, and one in Dayton (still don't have that figured out). There probably isn't going to be a lot of opportunity to see traumas. They're all shipped to Lexington/Louisville/Knoxville, etc. The school itself was established to help provide primary care doctors for the region, so naturally, that is the focus of the program.

2) OU-COM: in exchange for signing an agreement to stay in Ohio for 5 years after graduation, you pay in-state tuition for years 2-4. Years spent in residency count toward your 5. A current student informed me that there *may* be an option to not commit to the 5 years, but the difference in out-of-state vs in-state tuition is so significant, he's never known of anyone who didn't sign. At least you can put that in perspective--you do get something for all those years in OHIO!

Hope that helps anyone who is considering either of those schools.

Will~

CCOM is in Chicago........hence it's name!

Chicago is a large city that is made up of suburban cities surrounding it like most other big cities. Therefore a person that lives in Rolling Meadows, IL (which is about 40-45 min northwest of downtown), tells someone that they are from Chicago.

CCOM is in Downers Grove, which is about 20 min from downtown. And I think it is about 15 miles from Chicago O'Hare.

So the answer is yes....CCOM is in Chicago :D

by the way......this is a GREAT post!

i love how it has sparked all of this commentary and defending of schools.

what it does is to force everyone to elaborate on their school and make corrections or add to the general knowledge. I love it.

I think it's an excellent bit of information for everyone who is going through the application process now, and next year.

Nice Job Herpeto :clap:

Thanks for clarifying the Pikeville and OU-COM stuff. A little more on OU-COM though . . . I talked to an admissions person there and discovered that there isn't really an option to not fulfill the contract. There are a few ways to knock off some years like counting the 3 years in a Primary Care residency towards the 5 (like was stated), but everyone who signs will have to do some time in Ohio. Some good news is that you're not limited to a certain region or specialty or anything .
:D

Pikeville- our enrollment for the incoming class is going up to 75 and we are starting to add more attractive clincal sites such as: Ashville, NC Clarksville, TN (just right outside of Nashville and a level 1), Biloxi, MS (45-60 min. drive from New Orleans).

Pikeville Methodist is quite active in getting a level 1 trama unit. It is a rural area but, a unique in the fact that you see cases in Pikeville that you wouldn't normally get the chance to expeirence anywhere else.

The one great thing about Pikeville is at least it isn't Lewisburg!!!

I'm glad that everyone is adding their input about individual schools. This will provide a more comprehensive knowledge base for those to utilize during their decision making process.

As far as the CCOM issue, I could have said Chicago, however I consider Downers Grove a suburb of Chicago itself. I grew up just outside of Chicago so I have spent quite a considerable amount of time in the city, as it was my playground. Downers Grove is what I would call an upper-middle class society. As with many areas it has both expensive housing and moderately based income housing. I feel the Downers Grove itself has some character and certainly wouldn't mind living there for several years. Although to be honest, I would prefer to reside closer to the mountains and wildlife so that I may partake in wildlife research while enrolled. In my opinion, Chicago is the best city in the country simply because of what is has to offer, especially with Lake Michigan being right there.

Herp

Meep meep,

The question I had about OU-COM was whether it is possible to not sign the contract at all and just continue to pay out-of-state tuition. Did you ask the admissions person about that at all? I?d be curious to know?not that I want to spend an extra $50K to avoid staying in Ohio, but you never know. (I just wasn?t clear from your reply if that was what you were saying).

As for Pikeville?

I applied there because there were a lot of advantages relative to it being my hometown. (I no longer live there). I don?t have a problem saying that I?m unsure about the hospital in Pikeville, though. I have personally had some bad experiences there. Other friends and family have had no problems at all. Maybe it?s just me, but I hesitate to give the place a ringing endorsement. The local docs are pretty good for the most part. I?ve heard great things about the oncologists, in particular. The ER docs, on the other hand, are contract workers and I?m never really sure about them. I have heard that the contract has changed since the last time I was in the ER, so I hope it has improved.

I think it will probably be a long time before Pikeville gets a Level I Trauma Center. I hope that the addition of the new clinical sites will expand the possibilities for students, though. Even without the traumas, there is plenty to be seen in the way of odd ailments and tons of the common ones too.

Anyway, if you end up at Pikeville, just don?t make the mistake of assuming anyone who comes to the ER in pain is just looking for oxycontin, ok? I know there?s a problem with it there but sheesh?.examine before you diagnose!

Will~

Williow- I'm more then aware of the problems of Pikeville being I've lived there my entire life (with the exception of the 4 years I was at UK). Dealing with the hospital, I'm pretty well informed on having a father that is a doctor there.

I will agree that the ER was a mess, but the last couple of years has seen a revamping of the whole system. I still think it needs a little fine tuning, but it's gotting better (I know you are probably thinking it couldn't of got worse).

Actually, Pikeville is making many strides in obtaining a level 1 unit, it just lacks a few key pieces (neurosurgeons being the biggest). We are now equiped with a helicopter and flight team and have actually taking a fair amount of pt's with the program.

Dr. Musgrave (onocolgy) is awesome! Pikeville is very blessed to have her. The Heart Institute is also another attribute of Pikeville that is florishing, since acquiring Dr. Donahue (cheif surgeon of a former top 50 Heart Institute). Plus, they just opened a detox unit which was a vital need to the area.

Hey everyone,

I am a 4th year at TUCOM and have seen the transformation from beginning to what it is now. It has gone through major changes and still need more...

When you think about the San Francisco Bay area, RURAL would hardly be in my vocabulary... I mean metropolitan, diverse, beautiful and lots to do definitely, but not RURAL.

Before I got in here, I had interviewed at some of the better DO schools in the country and let me tell you the facilities are some of the top notch around. The anatomy lab kicks ass, none of these huge vents over the cadavers or having to encase them in those old iron lung machines to keep the stench from permeating the whole campus... We have a state of the art ventilation system. Also brand new classrooms, OMM labs, micro/path lab facilities, kick ass gym...

Granted the immediate area the school is on is nothing to write home about, but just get away for few minutes and your in beautiful San Francisco, Berkeley, Napa Valley, Oakland, Sausalito, Tiburon... If that is not enough go skiing in Tahoe 3hrs away, Yosemite Nat. Park 4 hrs away, LA 6 hrs away, Las Vegas 11 hrs away...

There are definitely lots of issues with a relatively new school, but look at the big picture people... Any questions, let me know...

Well, I just had my question about OU-COM answered with the arrival of the secondary application. Out-of-state students have to sign the contract to agree to work in Ohio for 5 years before their application will be considered further! BLECH! Does not apply for students entering as Ohio residents. It is also not related to the issue of whether you will be classified as in-state or out-of-state after your first year.

I realize that as a state school they have an obligation to the citizens of Ohio, but sheesh....with only 20 osteopathic schools in the country, you'd think they wouldn't be quite so anal about it!

However, I am still very interested in their tropical disease institute and will probably sign the darn thing anyway. Though I wonder how many tropical diseases you really see in Ohio while you're committed to practicing there. ;-)

Willow

Hey all, thanks for this post, it rocks
-sash

hey guys,

just wanted to add that Western is a GREAT school! its my first week here and I am having a great time! The people in my class rock! i cant believe that i am in a class with PhDs, PAs, podiatrists, PT's, people with 2 or 3 masters degress...its truly amazing the type of experience we have in our class. Aside from their resumes, everyone has been extremely helpful with classes...we like to party, we're good-looking :love: (hey, you know thats a plus!!), everyone here wants to be the best doctor they could be, the list goes on!!! The staff and admin is great despite the recent press, and they really try to create a family atmosphere! I think that Western is the best kept secret of California!!! I am soo glad i am a Western student and i hope many of you consider applying here!