1st year SPT must haves??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dobsonek

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m set to start my program in august and I’m super excited!! For those currently in PT school/recently graduated, what are some things that you feel definitely helped you succeed your first semester/year? What are some must-haves that you think might get forgotten/overlooked in the hype of getting everything together?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, I’m set to start my program in august and I’m super excited!! For those currently in PT school/recently graduated, what are some things that you feel definitely helped you succeed your first semester/year? What are some must-haves that you think might get forgotten/overlooked in the hype of getting everything together?
Just some tips as I'm finishing up my last two weeks of my first year ––
- get a white board & expo markers –– repetition is super helpful for learning & it's easy to rewrite without being wasteful on a white board
- save ALL your powerpoints, word documents, etc on OneDrive or whatever cloud software you use. Laptops crash, get stolen, etc. & you can easily access your notes wherever as long as you have internet. it's also nice to be able to reference your older lectures when needed.
- i always study by myself first to ensure that i'm familiar with the material & then I study with others
- reach out to your professors/ classmates if you don't understand something/ struggling
- don't buy/ rent textbooks unless you absolutely benefit/ learn from reading them. professors typically have majority, if not all, the information you'll need within powerpoints they provide.

Reactions: 3 users
Just some tips as I'm finishing up my last two weeks of my first year ––
- get a white board & expo markers –– repetition is super helpful for learning & it's easy to rewrite without being wasteful on a white board
- save ALL your powerpoints, word documents, etc on OneDrive or whatever cloud software you use. Laptops crash, get stolen, etc. & you can easily access your notes wherever as long as you have internet. it's also nice to be able to reference your older lectures when needed.
- i always study by myself first to ensure that i'm familiar with the material & then I study with others
- reach out to your professors/ classmates if you don't understand something/ struggling
- don't buy/ rent textbooks unless you absolutely benefit/ learn from reading them. professors typically have majority, if not all, the information you'll need within powerpoints they provide.

All of these points are fantastic - and ones that I'd suggest too. Additionally:

Never feel bad about asking questions. If there is one thing I've found in school, it's that other people have your exact question, or didn't even know they had your question as a question. Always ask, and don't feel like you're stupid (because you aren't), and you definitely won't be alone. I started a slack channel with my cohort where we have separate channels for all the classes, and people post questions they have, and it's been so so helpful!!

I would definitely have a computer or tablet that works well for you - for ease of note taking. I switched to a tablet/computer combo for typing and hand writing and that's been nice to have. (I have separate pages in One Note where I just do handwritten repetition on notes).

I'd get organization down as well as you can, too. Things move fast, so trying to stay on top of everything, as well as getting study time in is best. Sometimes it feels like you're just being hit with a fire hose the whole time, and organization for sure helps!!!!

On top of everything, I'd have plans for self-care. It's so easy to fall into the hole of PT school and only focus on that. Having a regimen for meal prep, exercise, time for yourself, etc. is a necessity (and it's HARD when you're in school - I'm still working on getting better at this)

Good luck and congrats on starting soon!!

Reactions: 2 users
Will emphasize organization here. You'll need to develop your own systems for managing course materials, studying, etc. Personally I think the first year of PT school is more challenging than subsequent years because each person needs to figure out what works for them.

On that end, some tips I would offer:
  1. dont be afraid to try new organizational techniques, dont get stuck spending a ton of time doing something that simply doesn't work for you
  2. if you absolutely suck at organizing your life, you can probably brute force your way through PT school but this is probably the more stressful route
  3. more "stuff" =/= better, dont spend your money on things that you may not use, including textbooks. always wait for the course to begin to see if and how much the professor uses the textbooks

Reactions: 1 user