2nd Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a recent peds graduate and I want to join the gas society. Do I have a disadvantage (or advantage?) with having finishing a residency? How often do programs accept post-residency grads?

Thanks. I hope to c'ya in the interview circuit.

DOMD

Members don't see this ad.

From what I can gather, most programs like folks who have already completed another residency. You should have little problem finding a gas spot.

You may actually stand at a disadvantage. The ACGME may not fund a residency in anesthesia given the fact that you've already completed your three years in pediatrics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of that but several people told me it sometimes depend on the program. I am hoping that it's not the case with the one's I've applied to.

Do

I'm a CA-1 resident right now. I know of one person in my program in the same position as you. He is now nearing graduation and he has had multiple offers in pediatric anesthesia, including an excellent offer at our institution. APeds background in my opinion will only be an asset in terms of acceptance to a program as well as job procuremetn in the future.
Hope this helps.

Hey DOMD,

I think I remember reading that the federal government will only pay for up to 5 yrs of your GME. That might hurt your chances at some programs. On the other hand, I do agree with one of the above posters that your experience as a pediatrician will definately be seen as an asset to any gas program. It takes a special type of person to work well with kids and you either have it or you don't. You obviously do if you just finished a peds residency. I also believe that we are currently short on pediatric anesthesiologists, so I personally think you have a good shot at grabbing a good gas residency if you work that angle. You got nothing to worry about. Good luck and keep us informed on how it goes.

BTW, what made you change your mind about peds?

I have no regrets becoming a pediatrician. I really love working with them but the parents at times are the biggest challenge. This feeling was through out residency but everyone tells me that out in the "real world" things will be different. So far with my 5 months experience in the real world, this isn't true. Parents (especially from the burbs) can be a big pain. On top of that, the volume of patient you need to see a day is horrendous. During the summer, my average would be in the fortys. Supposedly, in the winter the average can be somewhere in the 70s. Needless to say, I couldn't imagine doing this for the rest of my life.

My second choice during medical school was gas. Several of my friends during my peds residency were in gas and had "enlightened" me about their lives. Also, some of my experiences (ICUs and anesthesiology rotation) were killer :love: !

Again, no regrets. Will always love kids, but I realize I can help them in other ways.