Medical 3.0 Science GPA - Do i have a chance at applying this coming cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a third year pre-medicine student. I'm majoring in marketing and entrepreneurship, so I'm only getting the bare minimum of science/math classes that are necessary as pre-requisites. Because of this, there is very little room for error. My current science GPA is low (at a 3.0 due to some medical issues that came up). My professors did not adhere to the university's policies regarding make up exams, etc. even though I provided proper documentation. I had two instances where I received an F and a C (when I had high A's before the finals) from not being able to take final exams because of a debilitating neurological episode. Additionally, I got a 512 on my MCAT, and I want to apply this spring, as I really do not want to do a post-bacc program. My cumulative GPA is a 3.6. Is there a way to let schools know of these medical issues I've had without coming across as lazy and giving excuses? I have the condition under control now, but it was a challenge to be diagnosed properly and find the necessary treatment. Would it be a bad idea to write about my health interferences in a personal statement? I have over 300 hours of shadowing experience, 500+ hours of volunteer experience, multiple leadership positions for organizations on campus, and valuable work experience. Any recommendations on this would be helpful. Thank you so much.

Do you have the proper documentation regarding your diagnosis? Have you reported this to your learning services office? I'm not sure what I can tell you about your professors not adhering to university policies, but unfortunately I don't think admissions committees will take that into account.

I think it's a bad decision to write about your health issues in your personal statement. Save it for a "personal challenges" or "explain your academic challenges" statement, which you will likely have to provide. You also need to inform professors with whom you should be close enough to trust that their letters of evaluation are outstanding.

Members don't see this ad.

Very sorry to hear about your medical issues, but admissions committees do not cut you any slack for getting sick. You need to prove to us that you can handle medical school. If anything, your judgement gets called into question for you trying to bulldoze your way through college when you were not at your best, instead of taking a withdrawal to concentrate on getting better.

The logic of "if only I was healthy I'd have a high GPA" does not pass muster.

I was not trying to "bulldoze" through college. I did not have this medical issue until the semester was already 7 weeks in, so I could not get my money back, and I would have gotten WF's for those 18 credit hours. This is why I did not take the semester off. I appreciate your response though and recognize that medical schools will not cut me any slack.
Alas, without that info, it's impossible to comment accurately completely.

Some schools allow for retroactive W's. See if they can do that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.