$35,000 a year salary with $215,000 student loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prepharms, look at this thread as a warning. Why put yourself through such a high risk only to end up owing $215k in loans? Skip pharmacy school altogether and avoid the enormous debt.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You will owe the same amount of money or even more if you get expelled from medical school. Nothings different, its just choices.. The dude would have finished school made 100 k a year and paid of the loans in 3 years.

I agree that you should avoid debt as much as possible.

You will owe the same amount of money or even more if you get expelled from medical school. Nothings different, its just choices.. The dude would have finished school made 100 k a year and paid of the loans in 3 years.

lmao you think you can pay off 200k+ loan in 3 years with a 100k salary? how old are you have you ever worked?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I'd say only a small percentage are able to pay off 200k in only 3 years. I have many friends who still have a ton of student loans after 7+ years.

The average new grad likely makes between $0 and $70000 a year. You aren’t going to pay off $200k in loans in 3 years with that kind of salary.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure that thread is a great pharmacy school deterrent so much as a cautionary tale about exorbitant student loans.

A better example, in my opinion, would be the new pharmacists that my chain is hiring at ~$43/hr, 30 hrs/week. Down from $54 just two years ago. Also no one is being considered without recent retail pharmacy experience. RIP to the couple class of '20 grads that applied hoping the temporary covid-related RPh shortage in my area would be their ticket out of bartending :(

Prepharms, look at this thread as a warning. Why put yourself through such a high risk only to end up owing $215k in loans? Skip pharmacy school altogether and avoid the enormous debt.

Is that link working? I recall posting on that thread but its gone now
I'm not sure that thread is a great pharmacy school deterrent so much as a cautionary tale about exorbitant student loans.

A better example, in my opinion, would be the new pharmacists that my chain is hiring at ~$43/hr, 30 hrs/week. Down from $54 just two years ago. Also no one is being considered without recent retail pharmacy experience. RIP to the couple class of '20 grads that applied hoping the temporary covid-related RPh shortage in my area would be their ticket out of bartending :(
Where is this?? Walgreens I bet. Where are these places with no jobs?! All 4 major retailers in my area hiring. WG has had vacant spots for 4 months, cannot even fill with bonuses for 2+ months.

• Hmm
lol where did that thread go, I was in the middle of verifying the OPs story

• Hmm
  • Haha
Where is this?? Walgreens I bet. Where are these places with no jobs?! All 4 major retailers in my area hiring. WG has had vacant spots for 4 months, cannot even fill with bonu
Rite Aid

We've had constant openings since covid started.

Reactions: 1 users
Guess they deleted the original thread. No negativity allowed!

• Wow
There is no pharmacist saturation in Ba Sing Se Student Doctor Network.

Yeah, so they told me I am working 32 hours a week but i'm also salaried and they schedule me for 40 hours a week (and i actually work 40 hours a week) but I don't get any extra money (I also spend sometimes hours commuting a day that is unpaid labor). What does the 32 hours even mean? Is it the minimum I have to work a week? I'm nervous that they will make me work like 60 hours a week, as i'm salaried. That would be 3120 hours a year for around $74,000 which comes out to making $23.70 an hour for a "full time" pharmacist.

My guess is that they can make me work however hours they want as long as they don't violate the $7.25 an hour federal minimum wage or the state minimum wage.

Rite Aid

We've had constant openings since covid started.
Well I don't blame ppl for not wanting to work for them. The WrongAid CEO was sentenced to 8 years in prison for criminal fraud and I think the company will be going bankrupt in less than 5 years.

I know a pharmacist that worked at a WrongAid store for 7 years that was bought by Trusted Since and then closed down within a year (btw she moved back home, is jobless and living with her elderly mother) because it was within a mile of a Trusted Since store. WrongAid is desperate and that's why they had to sell literally almost half of their stores to Trusted Since. Selling key assets is not something a successful or growing company does. That is the action of a desperate corp.

My forecast is in the next five years WrongAid is forced to sell the rest of their stores which is only 2,464 at this point. Probably 30% of those are terminated within 18 months by the buyer.

I couldn’t figure out if she was just trolling or a sad entitled soul.
I was a key replier in that thread before it was disappeared. OP seemed to be very dramatic about their situation attempting to blame their student debt on politics instead of personal agency.

Last edited:
Yeah, so they told me I am working 32 hours a week but i'm also salaried and they schedule me for 40 hours a week (and i actually work 40 hours a week) but I don't get any extra money (I also spend sometimes hours commuting a day that is unpaid labor). What does the 32 hours even mean? Is it the minimum I have to work a week? I'm nervous that they will make me work like 60 hours a week, as i'm salaried. That would be 3120 hours a year for around $74,000 which comes out to making $23.70 an hour for a "full time" pharmacist.
I can only speak to rite aid but 32 hours would be the minimun you can be paid. Anything scheduled and worked over that would be paid at your normal hourly rate. We are "salaried" to the point that we can be expected to go to meetings/conference calls/come early/stay late without pay but if we pick up shifts we are paid appropriately. Also, if we are scheduled under our base, we still make our normal salary. Could have PTO used to make up the difference though.

As far as the future for rite aid, yeah I'm not overly confident. We've discussed this before but I'm still not convinced that job security here is dramatically worse than at our competition.