advice for re-applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rl123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
was wondering if any past (or current) residents or preceptors/RDs could share any strategic advice for re-applicants to the residency application process, and comment on how applicants who are NOT current P4's are looked upon/ evaulated in comparison to the more traditional P4 applicant. Ie, is a P4 applicant more preferable bc they're perceived to be more "moldable" or is a working, licensed (albeit new) pharmacist regarded well for whatever few months of pharmacist experience they actually have under their belts?

Some background info on me: I didn't match my first time around, and since then I've JUST started as a full time hospital staff pharmacist. As a potential reapplicant, I'm NOT hoping to have a weak transcript/etc overlooked (I had a 3.7 GPA, clinical rotations, and hospital intern work experience)

Thanks in advance- after seeing how competitive things are becoming I'm facing a lot of doubts and it's time to start making some decisions

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm currently a pgy1 at a top-ranked academic med ctr on the west coast and if there is anything that I've learned, it's that places like this really look for diversity in their applicants. And by that I mean, what sets you apart from other candidates...from previous work experiences, to professional maturity, to emotional stability.
The fact that you graduated in the recent past will not make you any less a potential candidate than someone who is graduating in the fall. What will make you a strong candidate is your ability to clearly express why a residency is "essential" for your future career and what you've done to prepare yourself for it. This includes grades (which you have...I had a 3.43), extra-curricular, solid letters of rec from ones who can attest to your abilities, and a solid letter of intent. Hopefully, since you've graduated, you have taken on additional responsibilities than merely vacationing or "just staffing" and going through the daily grind. If not, then it might not be looked on as a favorable quality by the selection committee.

Overall, it's going to be a review of your entire personality, both on paper, and in person during the interview to make sure you are a good fit with the desired program. Know yourself, the type of program to which you would apply, and what you think you can get out of the specific program that you couldn't get from another.

Hopefully this helps and good luck with the app process

hey guys... again

Just wanted to share that I ended up applying again and matched!

The backstory: I graduated c/o 2012 and applied last year but didn't match; participated in the scramble, but was not aggressive/proactive about it at all (just emailed my stuff in, tried to follow up with phone calls, but never heard back and pretty much just gave up). Took a much deserved 2 month break after pharmacy school, then started working as a normal hospital staff pharmacist, unsure if I would apply again.

How this application cycle was different than last time: took time to research programs that I felt were a good fit, BUT ALSO applied very broadly (most of the programs that were a stretch for me in terms of goals I didn't get interview invites from anyway). On the whole, I do have to say that I interviewed significantly better than the year before: I was more confident, had more to talk about after working as a pharmacist, was able to communicate my goals more effectively and clearly (granted some had changed significantly since being a wide-eyed student), could answer the "why residency?" question a lot better than the year before (to name a few). Also, I really see how stats are just the things that will get your foot in the door, but it's all about the interview and how your present yourself (bc my stats and LORs were obviously unchanged, the only thing that was different was the interview itself)

My attitude towards residency was a lot different than the year before in that while I was definitely interested and passionate about it, in my head I knew that if I didn't match, it wouldn't be the worst thing and that life would go on (because.... it had!). I think I nonverbally conveyed this vibe/attitude in interviews (in my opinion, programs don't want crazy-eyed applicants who seem too overeager.)

Oh, and for what it's worth, for the programs I did interview at, most were EXTREMELY happy that I was already licensed. I actually suspect that a few of them had issues in the past with residents getting their licenses in a timely manner...

Miscellaneous advice:
- stay in contact with your preceptors AND professors
- don't plan your life around re-applying (enjoy a short break, go on job interviews, start working, start living!)

Just my opinions, just wanted to share, sorry for the long post. Congrats to my fellow colleagues who matched and good luck to those participating in the scramble! Don't be discouraged, things happen the way they do for a reason, and just because you didn't match this year, doesn't mean you can't pursue it in the future! :)

hey guys... again

Just wanted to share that I ended up applying again and matched!

The backstory: I graduated c/o 2012 and applied last year but didn't match; participated in the scramble, but was not aggressive/proactive about it at all (just emailed my stuff in, tried to follow up with phone calls, but never heard back and pretty much just gave up). Took a much deserved 2 month break after pharmacy school, then started working as a normal hospital staff pharmacist, unsure if I would apply again.

How this application cycle was different than last time: took time to research programs that I felt were a good fit, BUT ALSO applied very broadly (most of the programs that were a stretch for me in terms of goals I didn't get interview invites from anyway). On the whole, I do have to say that I interviewed significantly better than the year before: I was more confident, had more to talk about after working as a pharmacist, was able to communicate my goals more effectively and clearly (granted some had changed significantly since being a wide-eyed student), could answer the "why residency?" question a lot better than the year before (to name a few). Also, I really see how stats are just the things that will get your foot in the door, but it's all about the interview and how your present yourself (bc my stats and LORs were obviously unchanged, the only thing that was different was the interview itself)

My attitude towards residency was a lot different than the year before in that while I was definitely interested and passionate about it, in my head I knew that if I didn't match, it wouldn't be the worst thing and that life would go on (because.... it had!). I think I nonverbally conveyed this vibe/attitude in interviews (in my opinion, programs don't want crazy-eyed applicants who seem too overeager.)

Oh, and for what it's worth, for the programs I did interview at, most were EXTREMELY happy that I was already licensed. I actually suspect that a few of them had issues in the past with residents getting their licenses in a timely manner...

Miscellaneous advice:
- stay in contact with your preceptors AND professors
- don't plan your life around re-applying (enjoy a short break, go on job interviews, start working, start living!)

Just my opinions, just wanted to share, sorry for the long post. Congrats to my fellow colleagues who matched and good luck to those participating in the scramble! Don't be discouraged, things happen the way they do for a reason, and just because you didn't match this year, doesn't mean you can't pursue it in the future! :)
Hey fellow 2012 grad I too matched this year. I didn't apply last year though and my story is very humbling. I only had minimal CVS work experience when applying this year. I also am a nervous wreck and I think my nerves ended up being the reason why I didn't match at some of my other choices. Even though one interview I did well on and still didn't match but at the end of the day I love the program I did match at. I think it's a great career opportunity and very unique and matches with my personality. Plus it has early commitment for Amb Care PGY2 which is one of my interests.

But I agree so much with stay in contact with preceptors and professors. I knew I wanted to apply this year since last years match day and realizing I had made a mistake in not applying. I kept my reference writers updated with what I was doing so when I asked for LOR it wasn't like I just popped up out of nowhere I had been in contact with them.

I'm just so thrilled no more CVS for me! My pharmacy supervisor is the worst.

Last edited: