Medical Advice on ec's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying next summer, but wanted feedback as to what you suggest I should do between now and then. I am okay with working/being in a hospital during COVID. How should I improve? I'm not looking for a list right now, but how would I fare for the top research schools?

Employment:
- *500 hrs MA* planned but not sure if I should do? Do i have enough clinical hours otherwise?
- 50 hrs Research lab
Volunteer, non-clinical:
- 300 hrs (Club events, + making lecture slides for MS1)
Volunteer, clinical:
- 150 hrs (Hospital Volunteer)
- 100 hrs (Red Cross) [Is this clinical?]
Shadowing
- *50 hrs primary care physician* planned. I shadowed abroad, but don't think that'll count,
Research
- 350 hrs, and 2 school wide symposium presentations
Teaching/Tutoring
- 200 hrs, tutoring ESL for middle aged adults as well as science/math tutoring for peers my age and mentoring young middle school students (no official contact as I was freelance)
Leadership
- On board of a club that fundraised and donated ~60k
- I Established it as a 501c3, more to come
Hobby
- Won accolades for international competitions

I appreciate any and all advice :)
Your teaching/tutoring can be nonclinical volunteering, unless it was employment. If volunteer, that salvages your nonclinical side.

Otherwise, your nonclinical volunteering is lethal. Get off campus and out of your comfort zone. Engage in service to others less fortunate than yourself.

What did you do for the Red Cross?

Shadowing abroad doesn't count.

The MA work will look good.
Yes, it was volunteer! I'll slide that into non-clinical volunteering then. I didn't know non-clinical volunteering on campus was that big of a deal - thank you for the advice.

Would it be better if I looked at other non-clinical volunteering activities during COVID and kept the tutoring as a separate tag? Because otherwise, I don't have anything for that section. I tried volunteering at crisis hotline but they seem to be at full capacity right now.

For the Red Cross, I greeted blood donors, got them situated for the next phlebotomist available, and explained what was going to happen to them once they got inside. I also greeted them post-blood draw and made sure they didn't need anything else.

Yeah I figured as much. I will try to shadow a primary care physician for 50 hours before applying. Do you think I have enough research hrs? I can't do any more research because I have to be on campus and I don't think it will open before I apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the hobby?

ECs are standard. Not to say they're bad, or imply such by saying "cookie cutter," but what you have is very common for the most part.

The hobby, having won international competitions, and the 60k raised via creation of a 501c3 are what stand out the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks MusicDOc124 for your reply!

Ahhh I thought the hours done in each ec category would set me apart from other applicants, but at least standard is better than cookie-cutter which I'm happy with.

I'm a martial artist (16 years) and have competed in many tournaments - both national/international over the years. In the international competitions, over 15 different countries sent their representatives and competed.

Oh really! I've been hearing a lot on sdn about how clubs/hobbies are too overrated, and wasn't going to put it as Most Meaningful. But I'm glad to hear that isn't the case!

If you're doing martial arts and you've won competitions, it goes beyond a hobby. A hobby is something you do semi-privately "just for fun." Once you get into the realm of competitions and classes, it's an extracurricular activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.