Advice on recommendation letters for Endo Residency application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endoaspirant

Reaction score
Hello All !!
I am a Foreign trained Endodontist who completed my DMD here in the US and working since 3 years! I think im now prepared to apply to residency! My question is about the evaluations. I know we need 3 Evaluations other than that from the Dean. I did have good grades in my DMD but was not intending to do get into residency after my DMD. So, i never approached my Endo faculty at the dental school showing interest towards residency. I have had great rapport with some other faculty at the school whom im 100% confident will give me a good recommendation.
But, i have mostly read that the application needs a letter from a Endodontist. Can i get a letter from my Foreign Endo residency Program director or Chair ?? They know me really well and have seen me work for 3 years, supervised 400 odd Endodontic procedures. I feel more confident approaching them rather than the US Endo faculty where i just did some 10 root canals to graduate. Thank you all very much. All the very best to all the applicants this cycle. 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are your Foreign endo PD/Chair well published in the various journals and conferences and/or well known in the field?

If not, I would not ask them for letters.

Reactions: 1 users
Are your Foreign endo PD/Chair well published in the various journals and conferences and/or well known in the field?

If not, I would not ask them for letters.
Thanks for the reply !! My PD is well published but i dont think PD’s here would know him. Is there a chance i can submit the recommendations with and Endo ?Im scared to do so. At the same time im not very confident with the endo at my us dental school. Cant risk having a bad recommendation letter though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply !! My PD is well published but i dont think PD’s here would know him. Is there a chance i can submit the recommendations with and Endo ?Im scared to do so. At the same time im not very confident with the endo at my us dental school. Cant risk having a bad recommendation letter though.
How far are you out from graduating? Can you shadow a local endo and have him write you a letter?

Reactions: 1 user
How far are you out from graduating? Can you shadow a local endo and have him write you a letter?
I graduated May 2019. I work at an FQHC Monday to Thursday. I can probably shadow an Endo on Fridays. But will the lor be effective if he cant comment on my clinical skills ?

I graduated May 2019. I work at an FQHC Monday to Thursday. I can probably shadow an Endo on Fridays. But will the lor be effective if he cant comment on my clinical skills ?
IMO clinical skills don't really matter too much to residencies. They are there to teach you those.

You need an LOR to comment that you are teachable

Hello All !!
I am a Foreign trained Endodontist who completed my DMD here in the US and working since 3 years! I think im now prepared to apply to residency! My question is about the evaluations. I know we need 3 Evaluations other than that from the Dean. I did have good grades in my DMD but was not intending to do get into residency after my DMD. So, i never approached my Endo faculty at the dental school showing interest towards residency. I have had great rapport with some other faculty at the school whom im 100% confident will give me a good recommendation.
But, i have mostly read that the application needs a letter from a Endodontist. Can i get a letter from my Foreign Endo residency Program director or Chair ?? They know me really well and have seen me work for 3 years, supervised 400 odd Endodontic procedures. I feel more confident approaching them rather than the US Endo faculty where i just did some 10 root canals to graduate. Thank you all very much. All the very best to all the applicants this cycle. 🙏🏼🙏🏼
Hi did you join endo. My story is similar to yours so wanted to connect?