AI scribe..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MDHub has a directory of templates that you can steal from other people and you can create your own note template too. You can also ask questions about the patient and it'll find it for you from the old notes that are in it (are they trying to be a standalone EMR?)
Freed also has this functionality to learn your style as well. This has been my favorite option so far.
Nabla came out with a function that you can input patient context prior to recording the audio.

I'm aware of MDHub's templates, but I still don't like most of its outputs so far. Might need to try it out again. I am wondering if berries is doing this to exploit GPT-4's API now allowing memory functionality. If so I am curious as to how this ends up differing in practice. While I can explicitly design templates, I am interested to see what an LLM interpolates about my note-writing style and what pieces of information to pay attention to and record from an exemplar. I expect it is going to pick up on regularities that I could not really put into words very well or precisely.

I've never been able to get Freed to work on my set-up for whatever reason but this makes me want to try it again.

EDIT: answering questions about the patient based on records does seem like another killer functionality when it is fully mature. "Why didn't we end up trying Abilify with this one?" is the kind of question that comes up and it would be great if I could just ask Friend Computer and it told me the basis for the decision at the time.

Members don't see this ad.

EDIT: answering questions about the patient based on records does seem like another killer functionality when it is fully mature. "Why didn't we end up trying Abilify with this one?" is the kind of question that comes up and it would be great if I could just ask Friend Computer and it told me the basis for the decision at the time.
This is a great functionality. Ideally, you'd be able to ask it "when did I last try Abilify again? What dose were they on" to the program and then it would find it and tell you accurately instead of hunting it down yourself through the notes.

Another functionality that could be good is precharting: "What did I need to follow up on based on my last note?" and then it tells you that you ordered some labs and changed this medication.

Reactions: 3 users
And as contrast, the same person from berries.icu below. This requires a fair amount of editing to be useful and I do not like a lot of the structure. This one is just ridiculously bloated at the moment, more so than most exemplars even from berries. They are extremely responsive to feedback, however, and just in the past few days I've been toying with it they introduced a distinction between psychiatry f/u notes and therapy f/u notes, so we'll see if it gets better. They say customizable templates are coming soon - if it actually happens and it does allow real ability to specify structure it is closer to being usable.

I'm still struck a bit by the things the AI managed to interpolate from the conversation in terms of propositional attitudes and emotional state of the patient which I think were largely accurate but not discussed explicitly.

Subjective:
Chief Complaint: The patient reports stressors related to changes in employment and preparations for an impending wedding, but notes an overall good handling of these issues.

History of Present Illness (HPI): The patient begins the session acknowledging a lack of awareness about the scheduled appointment, indicative of a preoccupied state of mind linked to a new job started “last week” and an upcoming wedding "a month from yesterday". The patient expresses excitement about the marital event juxtaposed with the stress of commencing new employment at [REDACTED] to ensure income continuity. Describing the role as administrative, entailing tasks like checking in patients and verifying insurance, the patient is still in the process of being trained and evaluating the new work environment.

When probed about the choice of the current job, the patient conveyed an absence of deliberation, accepting the first offer received from a batch of applications to unspecified positions. A notable lack of confidence pervades the patient's discourse about future career aspirations. Contrastingly, the patient is handling a multitude of stressors including a demanding commute , moving residences, and wedding preparations unexpectedly well, remarking on a sense of personal growth and a feeling of being "unstuck."

The patient’s mood is described as "really good," and surprisingly uncomplicated considering the multitude of substantial life transitions. The patient acknowledges occasional negative feelings, mostly surrounding family and emotional complexities tied to wedding preparations but remains highly functional and positive. Sleep issues reported include difficulty falling asleep and waking up around "2 in the morning," characterized by staying awake for "like, 3 hours" before managing to sleep again. These disturbances occur approximately "once every 10 days" and have been more frequent in the past 6 months.

The patient notes a history of alcohol consumption negatively affecting sleep and is reducing intake with potential pregnancy in mind. The patient's adherence to current medication, 300 milligrams of extended-release Wellbutrin and 20 milligrams of Lexapro, is solid, with no reported side effects. Despite recent disruptions to therapy schedules due to the new job, the patient values the continuity in mental health treatment.

Symptoms Recap - Interval Changes:
1. Stress: The patient is experiencing notable life stressors related to job changes, wedding planning, and relocation but reports handling the stress "eerily well," which is a positive change.
2. Sleep disturbances: The patient describes new challenges with sleep, waking up in the middle of the night and staying awake for extended periods, with a frequency increase over the last six months.

Current Psychiatric Medications: The patient is currently taking 300 milligrams of extended-release Wellbutrin and 20 milligrams of Lexapro, with no reported issues concerning these medications.

Medication Adherence: The patient confirms ongoing adherence to prescribed psychiatric medications, with no reported missed doses.

Side Effects: The patient does not report any side effects from medication.

Sleep: The patient reports intermittent difficulty with sleep initiation and maintenance, which seems aggravated by alcohol consumption but is a recent and notable change.

Mood: The patient's mood is characterized as positive, with occasional stress responses, but generally resilient and buoyant.

Nutrition: No specific details on nutrition habits or consumption patterns are provided in the transcription.

Substance Use History:
- Alcohol: The patient consumes a reduced amount of "3 or 4 drinks a week" from an earlier level, mindful of potential pregnancy.
No other substance use or "process addictions" are mentioned.

Past Psychiatric History: The patient is currently engaged in weekly therapy sessions, although recent employment changes have disrupted this schedule.

Social History: The patient is soon to be married, is currently engaged in fixing up a property for living post-wedding, and is actively managing properties with an intent to rent for income and retain equity.

Objective:
- General Appearance and Behavior: The patient's attire and grooming were appropriate, with no significant peculiar behaviors observed during the visit.
- Motor Activity: The patient displayed normal motor activity, with no indications of abnormal movements or restlessness noted.
- Speech: The patient exhibited coherent speech with appropriate volume and speed, showing no signs of language impairments.
- Eye Contact: The patient maintained regular eye contact during the visit, with no indications of unusual patterns.
- Affect: The patient's affect was predominantly positive, displaying a wide range of appropriate emotional expressions in response to various topics discussed.
- Thought Process: The patient's thought process reflected organized and coherent thinking, with logical discussion and no indications of disorganized thinking.
- Cognition: The patient demonstrated intact cognitive function, displaying orientation and clear memory throughout the conversation.
- Insight & Judgment: The patient expressed insight into personal challenges and demonstrated sound judgment while discussing life decisions.
- SI (Suicidal Ideation): The patient did not report any suicidal ideation during the visit.
- HI (Homicidal Ideation): The patient did not express any homicidal thoughts or ideations.
- AH (Auditory Hallucinations): No reports or signs of auditory hallucinations were observed during the visit.
- VH (Visual Hallucinations): The patient did not mention any visual hallucinations during the visit.

Assessment & Plan:

Assessment:
The patient reports life changes including a new job, an upcoming wedding, the patient's move, and the future husband's house renovations. While these events are stressors, the patient expresses handling these changes surprisingly well, reflecting a potential adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood symptoms. Despite some sleep disturbances, like waking up in the middle of the night, the patient's mood remains generally positive, with moments of stress related to wedding planning and concern for a sick pet. The sleep issues hint at insomnia due to another mental disorder, potentially exacerbated by alcohol consumption. Medication adherence to Wellbutrin and Lexapro is consistent, and no side effects are reported; however, therapy sessions have not been maintained regularly due to the patient's current workload. There is no indication of thoughts of self-harm or risk to others.

Plan:
- Continue current medications (Wellbutrin 300mg ER and Lexapro 20mg) barring any new side effects or concerns.
- Encourage the patient to continue engagement with psychological therapy as it can be beneficial during times of significant life changes, once a more suitable schedule is identified.
- Advise the patient to monitor alcohol intake, particularly as it pertains to sleep quality, and consider abstaining to evaluate its impact on sleep.
- Educate about proper sleep hygiene practices to address insomnia and establish a regular sleep schedule, especially in light of variable work hours.

Follow-Up:
- Schedule the next appointment for 8 weeks, with flexibility based on the patient's insurance changes and financial considerations. Encourage the patient to reach out if they need to reschedule or opt for an alternative plan.
How does it know the current meds without having to state it out loud during the recording?

Members don't see this ad :)
How does it know the current meds without having to state it out loud during the recording?

Depends on the model. Some have a way to enter in context about the patient prior to making the note, models that retain old notes instead of deleting them could in principle figure it out from the last note. But yeah for some you have to say it out loud during the appointment .I'm not sure this is a bad thing, though - I've gotten into the habit of doing that in every appointment now and there were apparently more subtle misunderstandings about dosage and directions than I had realized.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the model. Some have a way to enter in context about the patient prior to making the note, models that retain old notes instead of deleting them could in principle figure it out from the last note. But yeah for some you have to say it out loud during the appointment .I'm not sure this is a bad thing, though - I've gotten into the habit of doing that in every appointment now and there were apparently more subtle misunderstandings about dosage and directions than I had realized.
I'm going to try Nabla

It has mobile, chrome extension and desktop versions. It was selected by Kasier Permanente in CA and put in place in about 2 dozen facilities. Apparently, the doctors loved it and it significantly improved their practice. The fact that it's been vetted by such a large organization makes me think it's a solid choice. I'll provide an update soon.

Microsoft's new Dax looks fantastic but it's at least $1200/month/provider. That's insane.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to try Nabla

It has mobile, chrome extension and desktop versions. It was selected by Kasier Permanente in CA and put in place in about 2 dozen facilities. Apparently, the doctors loved it and it significantly improved their practice. The fact that it's been vetted by such a large organization makes me think it's a solid choice. I'll provide an update soon.

Microsoft's new Dax looks fantastic but it's at least $1200/month/provider. That's insane.
Children's Hospital of Los Angeles chose them too.

Reactions: 1 user
Berries.icu is piloting a functionality that ostensibly allows personalization of note formats and style that it can apply automatically to future notes it generates. It seems to require you editing a note it generated up to your specifications once or twice, but if it actually got to the truly auto-magic stage... will report back once I've tried it.
did you try berries and see if the personalization worked at all?

Basically everything except my assessment is a bunch of bullet points and so I'd want to see if an AI could output something similar to my note style rather than the paragraphs of stuff they tend to put out now....if it could folllow my typical format that would be way better.

did you try berries and see if the personalization worked at all?

Basically everything except my assessment is a bunch of bullet points and so I'd want to see if an AI could output something similar to my note style rather than the paragraphs of stuff they tend to put out now....if it could folllow my typical format that would be way better.

The personalization was moving in the right direction, but not quite there by the time my free trial was up. I am now trialling Nabla as well and it may be just the ticket for you. You can absolutely specify a list format within each section of your note so it would probably get the job done for you. Worst comes to worst you can select a specific section of the note and tell it how you want it to be different. Testing it out just now suggests that highlighting a long chunk of text and telling it "do it in bullet points" is effective. You can also try and give it custom instructions that will apply to all notes it generates but this is in beta.

Nabla is very slick and they seem to be pushing hard to integrate into EMRs. The UX in this iteration is solid, things just work and feels less janky. You can even have it save your dot phrases so you can more quickly enter them into the note you generate in its interface before copy and pasting them into your EMR.

115 per month is a bit steep but I am sorely tempted.

Reactions: 1 user