Anki

MedandMoscato

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Semi-new to Anki and I've been looking at some blogs and stuff about it. Why would someone want to suspend cards?

Members don't see this ad.

p
Semi-new to Anki and I've been looking at some blogs and stuff about it. Why would someone want to suspend cards?
Typically people use pre made decks for step prep which typically have 10s of thousands of cards so it's best to suspend all and unsuspend as you learn a topic otherwise you'll have too many cards and it'll be a bunch of material you haven't learned yet

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you have any decks you are using or thinking if using? I'm starting this year and it think I'm going to use the Anking Deck because its basically a combination of almost all the other great pre made anki decks

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any decks you are using or thinking if using? I'm starting this year and it think I'm going to use the Anking Deck because its basically a combination of almost all the other great pre made anki decks
I have no clue which deck to use. I haven't really done much research into the pros and cons of the main decks out there

I have no clue which deck to use. I haven't really done much research into the pros and cons of the main decks out there
I hear alot of great things about the anking because otherwise you have to do heavy resesrch to find which deck is for what purpose and thag can take a while to determine which decks are duplicates what resources they go with etc. Anking deck has stuff for sketchy, boards and beyond, pathkma, includes material from all the other main decks thag have been developed over time. I would just look up youtube videos on exactly how its organized so you don't get overwhelmed.

This is not really true at all. Anking is a widely used deck, but it is significantly different in the way it presents cards compared to the later iterations of lightyear and is wildly different from decks like hoopla. It doesn't mean you shouldn't use it, but you should definitely know the differences. My suggestion is to figure out what primary resource you want to use first, because if you decide on Boards and Beyond, LightYear is far superior to work with. If you use RX360, Hoopla fits that bill best. Pretty much anything else and you can use any of the decks, but those two primary resources, in particular, are synergistic with particular decks.

This is not really true at all. Anking is a widely used deck, but it is significantly different in the way it presents cards compared to the later iterations of lightyear and is wildly different from decks like hoopla. It doesn't mean you shouldn't use it, but you should definitely know the differences. My suggestion is to figure out what primary resource you want to use first, because if you decide on Boards and Beyond, LightYear is far superior to work with. If you use RX360, Hoopla fits that bill best. Pretty much anything else and you can use any of the decks, but those two primary resources, in particular, are synergistic with particular decks.
I think you missed my point...my comment was more based on having a centralized resource that has a significant amount of cards across several primary resources. Anking IS a combo of many other decks. It integrated the lolnotacop, other anking decks, lightyear, pepper decks, Brosencephalon and more which many current med students swear by. So I'm not really sure what "isn't true" since my statement was just that it includes a wide variety of material....i think we all generally know this process is trial and error but it's a decent place to start that process because it's all centralized....for many people they never have a need to visit other decks and this is sufficient. Other people feel differently so its all got to be personalized but I digress...my point was it's a very comprehensive place to start.

Last edited:
I hear alot of great things about the anking because otherwise you have to do heavy resesrch to find which deck is for what purpose and thag can take a while to determine which decks are duplicates what resources they go with etc. Anking deck has stuff for sketchy, boards and beyond, pathkma, includes material from all the other main decks thag have been developed over time. I would just look up youtube videos on exactly how its organized so you don't get overwhelmed.
Also here is a link to the reddit thread that has a run down of every major deck. It explains what resources each deck goes with and you can just look into what you want to start with. The explanations are in the about section.

Last edited:
I think you missed my point...my comment was more based on having a centralized resource that has a significant amount of cards across several primary resources. Anking IS a combo of many other decks. It integrated the lolnotacop, other anking decks, lightyear, pepper decks, Brosencephalon and more which many current med students swear by. So I'm not really sure what "isn't true" since my statement was just that it includes a wide variety of material....i think we all generally know this process is trial and error but it's a decent place to start that process because it's all centralized....for many people they never have a need to visit other decks and this is sufficient. Other people feel differently so its all got to be personalized but I digress...my point was it's a very comprehensive place to start.

Well, it is a more "centralized" resource in the sense that it's 50% larger than many of the other decks, but, as I stated in my original post, it does not contain the later iterations of LY, which are vastly different. I've been cranking anki for 2 years and have close friends that I study with that use zanki/anking. I used it myself for the first couple of months of medical school. It is not simply a mashup of all of the other decks, but feel free to learn that on your own. Also, fwiw, you should work on being receptive to guidance from people who have already been where you are trying to go. It will make your life a lot easier, but, feel free to learn that on your own as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, it is a more "centralized" resource in the sense that it's 50% larger than many of the other decks, but, as I stated in my original post, it does not contain the later iterations of LY, which are vastly different. I've been cranking anki for 2 years and have close friends that I study with that use zanki/anking. I used it myself for the first couple of months of medical school. It is not simply a mashup of all of the other decks, but feel free to learn that on your own. Also, fwiw, you should work on being receptive to guidance from people who have already been where you are trying to go. It will make your life a lot easier, but, feel free to learn that on your own as well.
Im a little confused by your comments tbh but Ok....thanks...

I like Anking because of the organized tagging, the hardest part about premade decks is browsing/finding the right cards that align with your class material. Anking helps you do that.

Dope Medical Sciences is also very good and comprehensive, presents the info differently than Anking.

Anybody know how to copy cards to a new deck on anki? I'd like to be able to make decks specific for each test as I approach test time that is more streamlined for a test than my daily reviews but I don't want to move cards

Anybody know how to copy cards to a new deck on anki? I'd like to be able to make decks specific for each test as I approach test time that is more streamlined for a test than my daily reviews but I don't want to move cards
It might be easiest to make subdecks. That way you can do the subdecks individually, but keep them in your normal larger deck too

It might be easiest to make subdecks. That way you can do the subdecks individually, but keep them in your normal larger deck too
Idk how to do that with a pre-made deck...like these pre made decks are so wildly organized that it seems almost impossible to organize them any other way

Idk how to do that with a pre-made deck...like these pre made decks are so wildly organized that it seems almost impossible to organize them any other way
Ah gotcha. You want to make a filtered deck watch this video

In the Anking deck, cards are tagged in a variety of ways. Tags make cards easy to find which is a MAJOR hurdle when dealing with over 40k cards. I prefer searching cards by the title of the video of the outside resource. For example, I can watch a sketchy video of staph aureus. Then I type in “tag:sketchy staph aureus” and the tag to my video will be highlighted in a drop down menu. I select it and X amount of cards are listed. Maybe it’s 50 cards or something. I can unsuspend them all or go quickly through them one at a time to pick the ones I want. You can make a filtered deck using tags too which allows you to study specific topics right before a test. This option allows you to take cards out of their normal rotation, cram them, then when you delete this deck (after the test) they go back to their normal rotation.

Ah gotcha. You want to make a filtered deck watch this video

What benefit is there to making a filtered deck as opposed to just unsuspending the relevant cards and using that section of the main deck?

What benefit is there to making a filtered deck as opposed to just unsuspending the relevant cards and using that section of the main deck?
It might not be as filtered as you’d like. I like to do flash cards by lecture so I have tags based on lecture and then can make a filtered deck that only includes specific lectures. Most of the anking decks are very general, I.e. “Zanki neurology”