Anybody else hiring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homer315

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
We've had an open posting for a cytopath for a solid 8 months with very few applicants. Great job, 95th percentile earnings, no travel, no autopsies. Nothing but crickets. Big part of the problem seems to be that most people coming out of residency are FMGs who require visa sponsorship which we can't/won't do. Thanks again academic medicine.

I've heard rumors that some of the Labcrap hubs are so understaffed that their biopsy TATs are running about a month. So at least some good is coming out of it.

Members don't see this ad.

We've had an open posting for a cytopath for a solid 8 months with very few applicants. Great job, 95th percentile earnings, no travel, no autopsies. Nothing but crickets. Big part of the problem seems to be that most people coming out of residency are FMGs who require visa sponsorship which we can't/won't do. Thanks again academic medicine.

I've heard rumors that some of the Labcrap hubs are so understaffed that their biopsy TATs are running about a month. So at least some good is coming out of it.
Now CAP is going to blame SDN for scaring all the US grads away lol. No applications at all? Literally few years back people were saying they got 100 applications for one position.

Is this a partnership position? Few years (preCovid) ago I had to cold call, stalk pathologists on LinkedIn to get a job.

Last edited:
We posted on PO. Received maybe 6 inquires. Mostly FMGs here on J1 needing H1b.

Partnership track (3yr), partner comp in the ortho surgeon range. We are fairly rural which certainly does not help.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We posted on PO. Received maybe 6 inquires. Mostly FMGs here on J1 needing H1b.

Partnership track (3yr), partner comp in the ortho surgeon range. We are fairly rural which certainly does not help.
Why can't you sponsor J1/H1b?

We are a for-profit group working out of a non-teaching hospital, so J1s are out. H1b would be a possibility, but I have been told that the slots are extremely limited and prep work for an application needs to be started long before someone comes on board (like years).

We were looking at someone about to transition to a green card, and even that was an involved process requiring an investment of cash and a whole lot of faith in the system. There is a reason most small private practice ads say, "No J1/H1b candidates please".

I am interested in this position. Cyto trained. No need for visa. Do you mind to share a little more? Like a link to application? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
We are a for-profit group working out of a non-teaching hospital, so J1s are out. H1b would be a possibility, but I have been told that the slots are extremely limited and prep work for an application needs to be started long before someone comes on board (like years).

We were looking at someone about to transition to a green card, and even that was an involved process requiring an investment of cash and a whole lot of faith in the system. There is a reason most small private practice ads say, "No J1/H1b candidates please".
You realize a vast majority of pathologists are FMGs which is why I am guessing your recruitment process isn't going well. I promise you, if you start offering visas, you will have the opposite problem.

You realize a vast majority of pathologists are FMGs which is why I am guessing your recruitment process isn't going well. I promise you, if you start offering visas, you will have the opposite problem.
Lol probably get 100 applications!!!! Any foreign grad who comes to America and can make an ortho salary really has lived the American dream.

Any private group can sponsor J1-waiver, so what you have been told is simply not true - a friend of mine just got J1 waiver approved in small private for-profit group like a month ago (primary care). Especially considering you are "rural", which likely will put your location in "medically underserved" category as per federal guidelines.
All you have to do is to get immigration attorney who specializes on this type of cases and has brains, which is not easy to find, rest assured. My group used help of a stellar lawyer, so PM me if interested.
"Started long before" is true, but usually it's like one year before the start date (subject to state regulations though).
"Investment of cash" means like 10-15K one time expense, which shouldn't be a problem for a practice offering 95th percentile compensation.

The true reason why most of the small private practices abstain from visas is a job market favoring employer, not employee. Just that.

Reactions: 4 users
Any private group can sponsor J1-waiver, so what you have been told is simply not true - a friend of mine just got J1 waiver approved in small private for-profit group like a month ago (primary care). Especially considering you are "rural", which likely will put your location in "medically underserved" category as per federal guidelines.
All you have to do is to get immigration attorney who specializes on this type of cases and has brains, which is not easy to find, rest assured. My group used help of a stellar lawyer, so PM me if interested.
"Started long before" is true, but usually it's like one year before the start date (subject to state regulations though).
"Investment of cash" means like 10-15K one time expense, which shouldn't be a problem for a practice offering 95th percentile compensation.

The true reason why most of the small private practices abstain from visas is a job market favoring employer, not employee. Just that.
I'm just regurgitating what I've been told by our hospital department which handles physician recruitment. They never sponsor J1s and they try for a few H1bs each year but usually one get one or more typically none in the lottery. They told me we would need to begin that process at least a year in advance, which was not a possibility for this slot as it was an unexpected departure (ie we need someone yesterday).

I am interested in this position. Cyto trained. No need for visa. Do you mind to share a little more? Like a link to application? Thanks!
If anyone wants info, send me a PM on here. We're actually looking for more than just cytopaths.

Lol probably get 100 applications!!!! Any foreign grad who comes to America and can make an ortho salary really has lived the American dream.
I didn't say "no visa sponsorship" on our ad or mailers, and still only a handful of applicants, most of whom would require sponsorship. It's brutal out there I tells ya.

I didn't say "no visa sponsorship" on our ad or mailers, and still only a handful of applicants, most of whom would require sponsorship. It's brutal out there I tells ya.
The number of jobs I’m seeing on CAP now versus 5-10 years ago is like night and day lol!!!

Just saw an ad posted on path outline with job salary of 425K to 475K. Is that the going rate now? Seems pretty sweet.

Just saw an ad posted on path outline with job salary of 425K to 475K. Is that the going rate now? Seems pretty sweet.
It’s a small semi rural college town. Think cornfields and smell of manure in the summers. If you aren’t from the area, then some people may not want to live there. But I welcome anything in Pathology.

There are jobs away from large cities for 300-500 K. It’s not like these jobs never existed. They are out there. Even larger cities there are good partnership jobs but they are never advertised.

I saw a 400k job with a 4 day work week.

Saw a rads job while browsing job sites with 24 weeks vacation lol. Do these guys work?

Enjoy while you still can before the end of private practice as predicted by mikesheree lol.

Last edited: