Applying to every single omfs program in the country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prehealthwhatever

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this do more harm than good? I'm sure it would be a red flag if you told a program director, but what's the harm in doing this besides finances?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF

Only guarantee is that you will be poorer. If you are competitive, I would say apply smart. Otherwise it's a literal waste of money.

Reactions: 3 users
Does this do more harm than good? I'm sure it would be a red flag if you told a program director, but what's the harm in doing this besides finances?
oof, a lot to unpack here. So you are so unfamiliar with OMS training programs and so don't care about where you get in that you want to apply to all programs? This will lead to getting in nowhere.

My reccs: Extern at a couple very different programs (4 vs. 6, hospital vs. SoD) to get a good flavor of what the different programs are out there. Then decide 4 versus 6 and apply to as many as you are comfortable with. Beyond that, it is a waste of money.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
oof, a lot to unpack here. So you are so unfamiliar with OMS training programs and so don't care about where you get in that you want to apply to all programs? This will lead to getting in nowhere.

My reccs: Extern at a couple very different programs (4 vs. 6, hospital vs. SoD) to get a good flavor of what the different programs are out there. Then decide 4 versus 6 and apply to as many as you are comfortable with. Beyond that, it is a waste of money.
The situation I thought this idea would benefit from would be someone who isn’t competitive and doesn’t have a choice to pick and choose program that they have interests in. Would that make any difference?

I don't think it does more harm than good, no-one know show many programs you apply to; and although schools aren't supposed to ask some do. At that point it's your choice to be as truthful as you like; you can say every single one, or over 30, or only yours.

Personally I applied to every single 4 year program that I was eligible for, not because I wasn't a strong applicant; but in my case I was a foreign trained dentist who did the two year accreditation program. So although I am technically a US licensed dentist many programs still didn't like that and some outright rejected me and told me they only consider applicants with 4 years of dental school.

Was it expensive, sure? But not nearly as expensive as losing a year of your career production as an OMS.

Reactions: 6 users
I used to work in a training program, managed the interviews, set up the rankings, etc.

A standard question I would ask was: “Where else have you applied?“

I would never have considered ranking anyone who had applied to every program in the country.

If the concern is that you are not credentialed enough, make yourself more credentialed. Work in general dentistry for a while, do a GPR, etc.

Nade0016 is a valuable resource here.

Smarter to apply to half of those programs knowing which ones have programs you are interested in, eg: more path, more OR time, more dentoalveolar etc etc.

Some schools have hard cut off's for gpa/cbse, so you can apply to eg: 30 six-year programs without meeting the cutoff requirements and you've wasted thousands applying.

Do some research prior.

Smarter to apply to half of those programs knowing which ones have programs you are interested in, eg: more path, more OR time, more dentoalveolar etc etc.

Some schools have hard cut off's for gpa/cbse, so you can apply to eg: 30 six-year programs without meeting the cutoff requirements and you've wasted thousands applying.

Do some research prior.
How do I find this info 🙁

Do some research prior.
I'm also interested in how to find this out before applying. Is it mainly through word of mouth? The only thing that I can really find online that has any cutoff is regarding externships, like in what % your class ranking is (but nothing for CBSE, etc). Not on their PASS program profile or websites.

I'm also interested in how to find this out before applying. Is it mainly through word of mouth? The only thing that I can really find online that has any cutoff is regarding externships, like in what % your class ranking is (but nothing for CBSE, etc). Not on their PASS program profile or websites.
1. Word of mouth
2. SDN posts about programs provide a decent breakdown
3. School pages on their websites or pdf’s and curriculum’s they post
4. Instagram pages

Reactions: 2 users
From what I have found of PASS profiles and each program's individual websites, most programs do not post a minimum CBSE score requirement (most just say that you must have a CBSE score to report). I found that only 4/63 programs listed a CBSE score requirement. I condensed my findings to just include what programs have said about CBSE, GPA, or class rank. I have only included 4yr programs (excluding military and puerto rico). Most programs websites didn't seem to have been updated for quite a while (some still had old dates for application deadlines being 3+ yr ago). A lot of programs said nothing about CBSE on their website, but their PASS profile had CBSE under the required standardized test list.

I was actually very impressed with Minnesota, because they had updated their PASS profile AND website to include CBSE requirements in the old and new scale (1 of 2 programs to do so). Thanks @nade0016 for being so on top of it!

If anyone has any further information on these programs from word of mouth, or if I missed something, please feel free to add to this list! I assume that most programs do have cut-offs for CBSE or GPA/class rank even if they haven't reported them on PASS or their website.

I assume that 6yr programs might be more updated on admission requirements seeing as they have medical school requirements they have to abide by as well. But I have not researched those programs as extensively, so I have only included their requirements if they have a 4yr option associated with the 4yr.

4 year OMFS program generalized requirements (found online)
Allegheny - Internship preferred, must have passed CBSE
Carle - Must have CBSE score
Christiana - (nothing on CBSE)
Cook county - Must have taken CBSE
Augusta - CBSE not required if numeric score received on part 1 national dental boards
Denver - Must have good grades, must have passed part 1 dental boards and part 2 if taken, (nothing on CBSE)
Detroit medical center - Must have graduated dental school (nothing on CBSE)
Emory - Must have taken CBSE
Geisinger - Must have taken CBSE
Gunderson - Must have taken CBSE (I have heard word of mouth they only accept non-cats)
UCLA - Must have taken CBSE
Harlem - (says see requirements on PASS, but not listed on PASS, assume must have CBSE score)
Herman Ostrow - Must have taken CBSE
Highland - Must have taken CBSE
Howard - Must have taken CBSE
Indiana - Must be top 25% of class, must have taken CBSE
Jackson Memorial - Must have CBSE score
Lincoln medical - Must have taken CBSE
Loma Linda - GPA 3.0+, (nothing on website, but PASS says must have CBSE score)
LSU - Must submit CBSE scores, must be in top 10%
Loyola - Must have taken CBSE
Medical University of South Carolina - Must have taken CBSE
Medstar Washington - Must have taken CBSE (according to PASS, website says must have taken part 1 boards)
Meharry - Must have CBSE score
Montefiore - Must have CBSE score
Nassau - Must have CBSE score
NY medical college: touro/manhattan-Westchester - Must have CBSE score
NY Presbyterian - Must have CBSE score
NYU/Bellevue - Must have CBSE score (according to PASS)
Nova - Must have taken CBSE (according to PASS)
One Brooklyn - Must have CBSE score (according to PASS)
Rochester General - Must have CBSE score (according to PASS)
Rutgers - Passing CBSE score required, higher scores generally expected for those applying to MD program
St. Joseph’s - Must include CBSE score to be considered
Temple - CBSE score required (according to PASS)
The Brooklyn Hospital Center - Must have CBSE score (according to PASS)
Ohio state university - Must have CBSE score (externship requirement is top 20% of class)
Iowa - CBSE score required (externship requirement is top 25% of class)
University of Mississippi - Must include copy of CBSE score
Thomas Jefferson - Must have CBSE score (according to PASS)
Tufts - Must have CBSE score
UCSF - Must submit CBSE score
Arizona - Must have taken CBSE
U of Cincinnati - Must include CBSE score
U of Connecticut - Must have CBSE score (according to PASS)
UF gainesville - CBSE minimum 70 (202) required
U of Illinois Chicago (UIC) - Must have CBSE score (according to PASS)
University of Maryland - 6yr has med school GPA 3.7 requirement, nothing noted for 4yr GPA, CBSE score must be reported
Minnesota - Requires CBSE of 50EPC (200 or 60 on the old system) to qualify for an interview according to PASS. (website says 175 old score)
UMKC - 4yr = CBSE 3-digit of 159+ (from 2019-2022), after 2022 CBSE of 58 EPC or higher // 6yr = CBSE 3-digit of 194 or higher, after 2022 CBSE of 62 EPC or higher
Oklahoma - Must include CBSE score
U of Pittsburgh - CBSE score required (according to PASS)
U of Tennessee Knoxville - CBSE score required
U of Tennessee Memphis - Must report CBSE score
U of Texas Galveston (utmb) - CBSE required (according to PASS)
U of Texas Houston (uth, McGovern) - CBSE required (according to PASS)
Vanderbilt - CBSE score report required
Virginia Commonwealth (VCU) - Must take CBSE (according to PASS)
West Virginia University - Must have taken CBSE (according to PASS)
Woodhull - CBSE score required (according to PASS)
Yale-New Haven - Must have CBSE score (according to PASS)
Zucker / Long island Jewish medical center - Must have taken CBSE

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users