ARGOSY? thumbs up or down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyD4me

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the deal with their PsyD? It is accredited but how's it looked upon?
Also, for anyone in their program, how flexible is it?

Members don't see this ad.

PsyD4me said:
Whats the deal with their PsyD? It is accredited but how's it looked upon?
Also, for anyone in their program, how flexible is it?

Here's some more information about this program: http://www.allpsychologyschools.com/schools/ID581/

In my experience, most of these professional psychology programs offer adequate training but charge exorbitant amounts of money for tuition (according to their website, it's $715 per CREDIT HOUR. http://www.aspp.edu/lcontent/?location=1&subpg=373 ).

You're probably better off trying to get into a PhD or PsyD program that is affiliated with a public or private university. MOST of these programs provide you with a tuition waiver and stipend, so you'll graduate debt-free. This is becoming increasingly important for clinical psychologists, given the salary squeeze the field is experiencing.

Don't think so. For example, George Washington is 876 a credit and is a university with very few if any tuition discounts.

Members don't see this ad :)
PsyD4me said:
Don't think so. For example, George Washington is 876 a credit and is a university with very few if any tuition discounts.

That's why I said "MOST of these programs..." I was offered full-rides with stipends at a number of nationally-ranked clinical psychology PhD programs. It's certainly possible. PM me if you want to know specifics.

My hunch is that the prestige of a university based school is much greater than a stand alone school. I am not being biased rather practical when it comes to getting a job...

lazure said:
My hunch is that the prestige of a university based school is much greater than a stand alone school. I am not being biased rather practical when it comes to getting a job...

I have found this to be true in my experience. It's not only the name, but the quality of education. The resources available at a place like Yale or UC-Berkeley easily trump the resources available at one of the professional schools, a.k.a. diploma-generating schools. Graduate students in clinical psychology who are in nationally-ranked programs also get to work with some of the biggest names in the field, which translates into their joining an active research program, producing several publications and presentations, and securing top postdoctoral positions.

That is true. I guess ultimately waht it comes down to is if thats a desire at all (publications, work with big names, etc). If not, and the person is interested in doing clinical work, it seems like a good option.

PsyD4me said:
That is true. I guess ultimately waht it comes down to is if thats a desire at all (publications, work with big names, etc). If not, and the person is interested in doing clinical work, it seems like a good option.

Nowadays, at least in the United States, an increasing percentage of clinical psychologists are opting for careers in academia, research, or the private sector (e.g., pharmaceutical companies, consulting), where their research skills are highly valued. Managed care has made it difficult for clinical psychologists to get reimbursed appropriately for clinical services. Mid-level practitioners such as social workers are now able to obtain clinical positions typically reserved for clinical psychologists. While some clinical psychologists are successful in clinical practice (forensic work, neuropsychology), especially if they're hired on a fee-for-service basis, it is becoming increasingly difficult for young clinical psychologists to enter these ranks. This "transition" of the profession may, at least in part, explain why clinical psychologists in some states are pushing for prescription privileges.

For what it's worth, all of the clinical psychologists and neuropsychologists that I know (ten total -- 7 PhDs, 3 PsyDs from professional psychology programs) told me to go to medical school and become a psychiatrist "because you'll have more options and a good salary when you're done."

hey,
I don't whether you would have more options, however almost certainly a higher salary, depending on what you wanted to do. Though I think the truth is no one knows where any of these fields will be when we are all out and practicing whatever it is we have chosen to practice. I felt that psychology had more options as far teaching and gaining certification in school psychology, where the human service aspect is in much better shape. Though I do believe that there are certainly niches in psychology are making good money and if you have business savy, it can be very lucrative.

One of the psychologists in our office group is a graduate of the Illinois School of Professional Psychology, one of the Argosy programs. I would have to say that he is probably the most successful of the psychologists in our office. His command of theoretical material clearly outstrips the Ph.D.'s in our group and I can't really see any weaknesses in his understanding or facilty with understanding complex research issues.

Another issue, he came to us directly out of his post-doc program. He started the position seemingly far in advance of the common Ph.D.'s we have welcomed before. BTW, the Ph.D.'s seem to catch up in their clinical skills within a period of a year.

S

Svas,

I doubt that the success of your PsyD friend, or his facility of theory and clinical skills are based in any way whatsoever by his training at a PsyD program. Fact is, there are varying levels of success and competency that have much more to do with the person than the program, and I am guessing that your PsyD colleague has more capacity and drive than the others, or perhaps the PhDs in your group were (are) slackers.

PsyD or PhD? It's simply a philosophical difference, not a clinical difference. Either will get someone where they want to go. How well and how far is up to the individual.

JRB