AUA American University of Antigua help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nani1986

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello I need advise, I'm a 31 student and have already almost my 90 credits, I wasn't planning to get into medical school eve though is my true passion since i was litter but, im form cuba and have been here for only 6 years and had to learn the language first and then started to take classes for optometry school but i found that for MD is only 4 years same as optometry well plus the resident of course but i will just do internal medicine with is 3 years but my concern is that i found a school at Barbados island that have affiliation to FIU (florida national university ) in miami where I live and i went to a webinar today and they said that i will stay 2 years there then take the first exam and then if i pass it with more that 200 fiu take me for clinical rotations and then will complete 2 more years in this rotations, after the first rotation year have to take the board number 2 and then after second rotation year board number 3. Sound goo for me that haven't finished my bachelor degree still, have a 3.4 of gpa plus im already 31 years, AND ALSO THEY DONT ASK FOR mcat EXAM in order to accept me i will need to take it at the end of first semester and will no determine if i continue in the program i just need to take it, but my concern is that i have read so many bad review about caribbean school that im kind of afraid, please can someone give me an advise please, the school is AUA American University of Antigua. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No.

Just...no.

Don’t talk to Caribbean. Don’t look at Caribbean. Don’t touch Caribbean.

Just don’t.

Reactions: 1 users
hello I need advise, I'm a 31 student and have already almost my 90 credits, I wasn't planning to get into medical school eve though is my true passion since i was litter but, im form cuba and have been here for only 6 years and had to learn the language first and then started to take classes for optometry school but i found that for MD is only 4 years same as optometry well plus the resident of course but i will just do internal medicine with is 3 years but my concern is that i found a school at Barbados island that have affiliation to FIU (florida national university ) in miami where I live and i went to a webinar today and they said that i will stay 2 years there then take the first exam and then if i pass it with more that 200 fiu take me for clinical rotations and then will complete 2 more years in this rotations, after the first rotation year have to take the board number 2 and then after second rotation year board number 3. Sound goo for me that haven't finished my bachelor degree still, have a 3.4 of gpa plus im already 31 years, AND ALSO THEY DONT ASK FOR mcat EXAM in order to accept me i will need to take it at the end of first semester and will no determine if i continue in the program i just need to take it, but my concern is that i have read so many bad review about caribbean school that im kind of afraid, please can someone give me an advise please, the school is AUA American University of Antigua. thanks
There was only two periods in this entire essay

Reactions: 5 users

There's a saying that is often used on this forum when it comes to international schools, particularly those in the Caribbean: "if it looks too good to be true, it is." Consider why they don't require all these things of you-why it is ok to have a below average GPA, no MCAT, and no requirements. It is because they don't care if you succeed or fail. They get paid either way. If you're concerned about your English, how do you think you'd fare in rigorous science courses where a failure could mean expulsion?
If your passion is medicine, go about it the way most people do. Don't take risky shortcuts.

Also, even if you do make it through there's still a 50% chance you don't match: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uplo...tional-Medical-Graduates-Revised.PDF-File.pdf page 22 shows approx 180 matches and 220 failures from Antigua.

Reactions: 6 users
There was only two periods in this entire essay
thank you for your comment there should be less destructive comments like this but thanks anyway. Hope you are a great writer. have a nice day, ooooo and let me just say this I SPEAK spanish because its my first language and (with some mistakes ) but also speak and write in english because I learned here 6 years before and with that I got my associated degree and almost have my bachelor in biotechnology, and question do you speak any other language beside english? thanks

Reactions: 2 users
That is what I though, that everything is too good to be real, but I just want to be realistic, I have no family here and have to pay for my classes and for that I had to work very hard, I'm improving my grades right now, I'm getting As in almost all the science that i'm taking but still don't know if It will increase enough and if I will do it well in the MCAT, that's why I decide to consider this school but of course that I will get all the info I can before make any decision. Do you know how can I know the passing rate for this school because at the page it say they have 96 % first passing rate usmle, there is any way that I can check if this is a real number?

Last edited by a moderator:
No.

Just...no.

Don’t talk to Caribbean. Don’t look at Caribbean. Don’t touch Caribbean.

Just don’t.
thanks, can you please let me know why. I would like to know every cons and pros (if any) about this school. thank you so much.

thank you for your comment there should be less destructive comments like this but thanks anyway. Hope you are a great writer. have a nice day, ooooo and let me just say this I SPEAK spanish because its my first language and (with some mistakes ) but also speak and write in english because I learned here 6 years before and with that I got my associated degree and almost have my bachelor in biotechnology, and question do you speak any other language beside english? thanks

Unless the poster to whom you’re replying is planning on pursuing medical education in a language besides English, your question and its answer are irrelevant here.

Reactions: 1 user
That is what I though, that everything is too good to be real, but I just want to be realistic, I have no family here and have to pay for my classes and for that I had to work very hard, I'm improving my grades right now, I'm getting As in almost all the science that i'm taking but still don't know if It will increase enough and if I will do it well in the MCAT, that's why I decide to consider this school but of course that I will get all the info I can before make any decision. Do you know how can I know the passing rate for this school because at the page it say they have 96 % first passing rate usmle, there is any way that I can check if this is a real number?

Why do you keep quoting your own posts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know how can I know the passing rate for this school because at the page it say they have 96 % first passing rate usmle, there is any way that I can check if this is a real number?

Trust me, it is not a real number.

Reactions: 3 users

If you want to practice medicine in the US, you should go to a US medical school.

Why do you keep quoting your own posts?[/QUOTE please if you don't have any constructive comment, or if my concerns are not of you interest please just don't write, I'm trying to get some help, I don't need destructive comment, and in any case i'm going to answer your question just because I'm not so arrogant like you, this is my first time in this site. Thanks.

yessss that is why I though,

thanks
Unless the poster to whom you’re replying is planning on pursuing medical education in a language besides English, your question and its answer are irrelevant here.
can you take a look to what he said first please. thank you. I don't think that periods matter here either

WHY ARE YOU RESPONDING TO YOUR OWN COMMENTS???
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I speak 3 languages fluently and can add a period properly in each one.

I don't think you should go to a Caribbean medical school.

I also don't think you should pursue a career in medicine in America, period. The MCAT is extremely difficult even for native English speakers... and honestly, you don't seem fully proficient in the English language. You could try to improve your English skills, but that's a slow process and and would probably take years of heavy practice; you said you're 31 years old right now.

Would you be interested in optometry? Pharmacy? Physician's assistant? I think you can do pretty well on the OAT, PCAT, or GRE if you brush up on your English. Study technical books about grammar and punctuation; read sophisticated journals and magazines (e.g., WSJ, The Economist); and ask well-educated native English speakers for feedback on your writing.

Good luck!

Idk why everyone is being rude in the comments. OP seems like they are genuinely asking for advice and English is his second language so yeah the grammar might be a little off.. nani1986 puedes mensaje me si quisiera. me alegro ayudar!

thank you and yes they are been super rude but I will not pay attention, they are just toooooo immature, my main point its not the one that I use in an essay but my path to my career. I know I will have a lot of obstacles, but I also know I can do this even with my age and my ENGLISH, It will take me more effort than if I were born here, but a language doesn't determine your knowledge and here in miami there are so many good doctors that english is not their primary language, but either way I want to thank you because apparently there were just few people here that give wise advises, I don't mind if someone want to let me know that it will be harder for me, i know that, but those people are been so rude, I though this was a pre-med forum and no a kinder-garden. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

thank you and yes they are been super rude but I will not pay attention, they are just toooooo immature, my main point its not the one that I use in an essay but my path to my career. I know I will have a lot of obstacles, but I also know I can do this even with my age and my ENGLISH, It will take me more effort than if I were born here, but a language doesn't determine your knowledge and here in miami there are so many good doctors that english is not their primary language, but either way I want to thank you because apparently there were just few people here that give wise advises, I don't mind if someone want to let me know that it will be harder for me, i know that, but those people are been so rude, I though this was a pre-med forum and no a kinder-garden. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I think people are getting annoyed because you’re asking a question that, if you had taken even the briefest look through this forum, you would know already is almost universally a bad idea for a multitude of reasons.

Add that to the fact that you want to get to medical school without doing the basic requirements for admission (MCAT) and because it’s basically the same in your mind as optometry, and you are likely to push people’s buttons.

You should only think about Caribbean if you took the MCAT more than 3 times, and/or applied more than twice to MD/DO schools. Yes, the MCAT is difficult but it is not impossible. Graduate from college, strength your English, take few gap years and then get to it if you are really passionate about being a physician. Buena suerte, mi amigo!

Look at the school in Puerto Rico since you are fluent in Spanish. That would probably be your best bet.

We are not being rude for no reason. The answer to all your questions is overly obvious: deciding to go to AUA would be a terrible decision. Full stop. End of story.

Since this was established early on and really needs no further elaboration, your persistence has led to further commenting on your odd online behaviors (and your language to some degree, although the posters have been EXCEPTIONALLY kind and tolerant of your demonstrable lack of proficiency with English, all things considered).

And although it does not need to be said again, I’ll say it: don’t go to AUA.

thank you for that but as I said i'm 2 semesters away to get my bachelor in biotechnology (10 classes) because I have to work and beside that I have always take 5 classes per semester, so I yes have took pretty much all the MCAT requirements for your information, and about the forum this is my first time here so I haven't read anything I just posted a simple question hoping to get wise answers because I have a friend that told me that here were very good people that help each other but I see that there are more judger than helper. Finally the reason that I have a different point of view or situation or question or anything different to must of you doesn't allow anyone to be that rude, this attitude just said how prepotent must of you are, but that's ok i guess that you still don't know that in order to be a good physician you also must be a good human been and feel empathy, period, and again THANKS any comment more than welcome.

We are not being rude for no reason. The answer to all your questions is overly obvious: deciding to go to AUA would be a terrible decision. Full stop. End of story.

Since this was established early on and really needs no further elaboration, your persistence has led to further commenting on your odd online behaviors (and your language to some degree, although the posters have been EXCEPTIONALLY kind and tolerant of your demonstrable lack of proficiency with English, all things considered).

And although it does not need to be said again, I’ll say it: don’t go to AUA.
There is never a reason to be rude specially if you want to be a physician who are supposed to be kind and humble but that ok I have no problem admitting that I have English issues since is not my first language, I been here just 6 years and I'm very proud of what I have achieved, I can correct my English but honesty not sure if some of you will be better persons one day. Hope never you never have a situation like this in your life.

You should only think about Caribbean if you took the MCAT more than 3 times, and/or applied more than twice to MD/DO schools. Yes, the MCAT is difficult but it is not impossible. Graduate from college, strength your English, take few gap years and then get to it if you are really passionate about being a physician. Buena suerte, mi amigo!
ok thanks I will keep this in mind. I haven't taken the MCAT yet.

If you are planning Caribbean, you should only consider the Big 4.

you could consider UAG too. it is in mexico and a pretty decent school considering.

THANK YOU SO MUCH gonnif :happy::happy::happy: I wish that every one here could take this forum as you do, a place to help people like me. Thank you for taking your time to give me all this good sources that I don't even knew, and for not to blame about my ENGLISH, which is seem to be the principal concern for a few here, and yes I'm very persistent and your words, just push me more to follow what I love. Even though English is not my first language and I'm 31 I love medicine more than anything and I love help people and I will do anything I have to in order to become a good MD. I hope one day I can come back here and say "I did it". Thank you so much and God bless you.

You have a reasonable 3.4 GPA so English isnt as much of an issue as you think. With a solid MCAT and a well-crafted application, you can be a good candidate for both mid/lower MD and DO. And you should try for those before considering off-shore
Thank you soooooo much I went to an academic advisor at UM university and told me that if I score a good MCAT and finish the bachelor and give them a good application portfolio they will consider me, ☺️ This give me some hope because I was looking at the links you send me and the universities ranking list in this site and saw that UM was one of the best here in Miami. Thank you so much you are so encouraging. I will need to work hard but I know I can do this.

So I'm gonna say that AUA has good Step 1 first time pass rate, and good overall match, however you have to recognize this is because there are a lot of students who don't make it to Step 1 in the first place. And it is a very difficult road to take, and I think if you have been accepted to a graduate program close to home that your passionate about there is no reason to leave home.