Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
(Update for my people, still not finished but getting closer…5 years since I started lurking on this thread. 31 years old now)
How it started in 2017:
Cgpa: 2.4
Sgpa: 2.0
Over 120 credits with NO DEGREE, played around in college at UGA 2008-2012 and basically rarely went to class, got a ton of WFs, lots of family/personal issues, partying/fraternity stuff you get the jist.

Made a plan to execute…first get a bachelors. Went back to local 4 year university, took A&P, micro and another elective and got all As. Got accepted into a bachelors in respiratory therapy program that was clearly hurting for students. Finished that program with a 4.0 (total of about 70 credits). Started working as a respiratory therapist in 2019.

Now onto the postbacc, working full time as an RT and taking 2 classes at a time (upper level bios) and auditing some courses for mcat purposes. Currently in my 3rd semester of postbacc still maintaining a 4.0 so far.

So where we are now:
Upward trend: last 90 credits at a 4.0
Cgpa: 2.99
Sgpa: 3.01 (DO Sgpa ~ 3.25 due to a lot of my RT classes counting as “other science”)

Plan to take the mcat next year after I take biochem and will probably be applying to 2-3 SMPs. Aside from working as an RT and holding several leadership roles at work I was a contributing author on two published case reports, I also founded a nonprofit that helps to fund addiction treatment for individuals in my area (integral to my story as my father passed away due to his addiction).

This journey (GPA/transcript repair) is so long and arduous. It feels like it’s never ending but I remember starting all this like it was yesterday. Still got a lot of work to do but man this has been a hell of a ride so far.

Feels surreal writing this right now and my original post doesn’t feel like over 2 years ago. But hopefully a final update. Going to take @Goro up on the school list offer in addition to the ones I have listed below if possible.

Final numbers calculated by mappd:
AMCAS
cGPA: 3.03
sGPA: 3.12

AACOMAS:
cGPA: 3.08
sGPA: 3.19

(Upward trend of 98 credits at a 3.97)

MCAT: 514 (129,127,131,127) 89%

Experiences:
Clinical: 10,000+ as resp therapist split working at lvl 1 trauma center, LTACH, and rural hospital
Volunteer: ~400 split between asthma summer camp counselor, soup kitchen, and through leadership as a founder of a non-profit that helps connect addicts with scholarship opportunities in my area
Research: ~1500 hours over 2 years (2022-current) in genomics and now in epidemiology, 4 publications (2 first author literature reviews)
Posters: 2 which were presented at global anesthesiology conference (only contributing author)

LOR: 4; Genetics prof, ER physician and prof at MCG, pulmonologist, and PI for lab who taught me in a grad course for human physiology

white male, 34 married with a 1 yr old daughter, Georgia resident with strong SC ties

MD: MCG (and all regional campuses), Mercer, Emory, USC-Columbia, Greenville, Tulane, EVMS, Va tech, Pitt (weird connection here)

DO: all schools in GA, SC, FL, AL, and TN and UNECOM

Planning to submit both AMCAS and AACOMAS on or within a day or two of May 28

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Feels surreal writing this right now and my original post doesn’t feel like over 2 years ago. But hopefully a final update. Going to take @Goro up on the school list offer in addition to the ones I have listed below if possible.

Final numbers calculated by mappd:
AMCAS
cGPA: 3.03
sGPA: 3.12

AACOMAS:
cGPA: 3.08
sGPA: 3.19

(Upward trend of 98 credits at a 3.97)

MCAT: 514 (129,127,131,127) 89%

Experiences:
Clinical: 10,000+ as resp therapist split working at lvl 1 trauma center, LTACH, and rural hospital
Volunteer: ~400 split between asthma summer camp counselor, soup kitchen, and through leadership as a founder of a non-profit that helps connect addicts with scholarship opportunities in my area
Research: ~1500 hours over 2 years (2022-current) in genomics and now in epidemiology, 4 publications (2 first author literature reviews)
Posters: 2 which were presented at global anesthesiology conference (only contributing author)

LOR: 4; Genetics prof, ER physician and prof at MCG, pulmonologist, and PI for lab who taught me in a grad course for human physiology

white male, 34 married with a 1 yr old daughter, Georgia resident with strong SC ties

MD: MCG (and all regional campuses), Mercer, Emory, USC-Columbia, Greenville, Tulane, EVMS, Va tech, Pitt (weird connection here)

DO: all schools in GA, SC, FL, AL, and TN and UNECOM

Planning to submit both AMCAS and AACOMAS on or within a day or two of May 28
I suggest the following:
I recommend:

Dartmouth
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Temple
UCSF
EVMS
Hofstra