Case Western vs. UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cometjunior3

Reaction score
Hi all! I am so grateful to have received acceptances from both Case Western and UF, but I would appreciate any advice in choosing between the two! I am very torn in making this decision as both are amazing schools.

Case Western
Pros
  • 2 hour drive away from family
  • Top-ranked school (T25)
  • Regular weekly schedule, classes done by 12PM each day
  • More familiar with Cleveland
  • True P/F pre-clinical with no internal rankings
Cons
  • 71k tuition
  • Not sure how to feel about HoloLens anatomy curriculum vs. typical gross anatomy
  • Mandatory research thesis in between first and second years (could also be a pro for residency resume, but I am meh about research)
  • Essay-based exams
University of Florida
Pros
  • 49k tuition, 37k if I reclassify as in-state after the first year
  • Well-ranked school (T35)
  • Integrated gross anatomy curriculum
Cons
  • Very far from family, no direct flights to Gainesville
  • Less regular weekly schedule (as far as I can tell)
  • P/F, but internal rankings and AOA pre-clinical
Thank you all for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty personal decision of family vs cost, but to me, there is no way I would pay that much for Case if I had the option to pay $37k/year at an equally prestigious school by most measures. I think future you will thank yourself for choosing UF. On top of that, I think most of UF’s residency programs are actually held in higher regard than Case’s (ie in ophtho, Case is kind of a low tier program while UF is fantastic).

Edit: after seeing the post below, my opinion still stands even if UF costs $49k/year all 4 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
not gonna weigh in on the decision, but just wanted to let you know that it’s highly unlikely that they will let you reclassify as in-state at UF given state laws. i’d get in touch with their financial office just to see if you can though.

Reactions: 1 user
not gonna weigh in on the decision, but just wanted to let you know that it’s highly unlikely that they will let you reclassify as in-state at UF given state laws. i’d get in touch with their financial office just to see if you can though.
ok, thank you! :)