Cleveland Clerkship sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
KCOM has recently begun offering Cleveland as a site for your 3rd & 4th year. I know Ohio is a very DO friendly state and that other DO schools already offer Cleveland as a clerkship site. My interests are within pediatrics...so, I have some questions re: Cleveland.

Is it a good place to do your clerkships?

What hospitals are you DO clerkships in?

How open are the Children's Hosp and Cleveland Clinic to DO students doing elective rotations there?

What is Cleveland itself like?

Thanks in advance,

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Members don't see this ad.

OMD,
I have personally heard or read of a few DOs that have done clinicals at Cleveland Clinic (one from UOMHS). Grandview Hospital in Dayton (where I live now) has many residency programs. Ohio has a CORE group of osteopathic hospitals and hospitals with joint AOA and ACGME status. Look under the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine website, and they have web pages for individual hospitals under their core system. UOMHS, the school I will be attending, also has an affiliation with the CORE hospitals through agreement. Doctors Hospital in Columbus, and St. Vincents in Toledo (joint, Medical College of Ohio students also do rotations there) are other hospitals with a few residency programs that I know about. I have run into two 3rd year students doing rotations here in Dayton at the family practice that I go to affliliated with Franciscan Medical Center. You're correct, Ohio seems to be a good state for DOs. It is not uncommon to see both MDs and DOs working in the same practice, and DOs giving CME lectures to both MDs and DOs at local hospitals. Of course, this will be more common everywhere if it isn't so already. This is just what I think I know, so you'll have to look into the hospitals yourself, but the web pages would be a good start.

By the way, I love Cleveland. It has really changed into a much nicer city over the years I have heard. There is a lot to do there (Sports (Indians baseball, Cavalier Basketball, Browns football), Museums, Art, Music (Rock and Roll Museum, Opera, Theater)). Housing isn't as bad as Chicago (where I used to live) either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cleveland doesn't sound too shabby! I'll have to visit and see it in person.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

OMD, I think that Cleveland Clinic is pretty open to DO's. When a family member of mine interviewed for a job there several years ago, they told me that they had met the head of the path department who was a DO. I think that there are also other DO's working in other departments as well. It just struck me as odd that the head of the path dept would be a DO (you just don't see too many DO's in path).

BTW, why are you worrying about this now? We've got two years before we have to do clinicals. I'd wait for awhile before looking into where you can do your clinicals. Alot can change in two years.

I think it is a great idea to think now about where you want to do clinical rotations.

Yes, alot can change in the next two years, but rotations are negotiable. If you find a place where you want to do them and you get to know the right people...."it's ALL negotiable".

I think you know this Dave but I thought I would give you some support anyway.

Ponyboy,

You have somewhat of a point in saying "a lot can change in two years." However, I am a meticulous planner...I planned & researched things for over two years and got in to med school on my first try as a non-traditional applicant [read that as 'Old Fart'].

Since planning seems to have served me well, I feel it prudent to continue what works. As soon as I received an acceptance letter, I began reading books on how to get good residencies.

It seems the people who get the things they want are the ones who accomplish it in a systematic manner. There's a lot more than good board scores or good grades to being a competitive residency applicant.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Chacun son gout. I've always done things by the seat of my pants and I've done well enough that way. I'm not going to worry about residency until I actually start school. This is probably the last free summer that I'll have, so I'm planning on enjoying it and not thinking about what's going to happen to me four years from now.

You can either let things happen to you or you can make things happen for you. It's a personal choice I guess.

Matthews, you make it sound so negative! I really enjoy the way I approach life. To me, "making things happen for yourself" is part of the pre-med way of life that I've never enjoyed. The "let things happen to you" approach has worked well enough for me so far and has given me more opportunities than most people who try to "make things happen." I think that it's a common misconception to think that people who don't plan and put alot of effort into things will not fare that well. Our society is laden with sayings such as "The early bird gets the worm." that constantly reinforce ambition. I really don't agree with this attitude because there are plenty of people who are "slackers" who do quite well.

To quote a very influential religious figure:

Look at the ravens: they do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable are you than birds.

But, as you said, it's a personal choice.

You know what. I believe in making some plans, but come on. You shouldn't be worrying about things that are years away. You will have plenty of preparation time to take care of those things later, and I'm not talking about procrastination either. This is a pre-med mentality, and I don't personally care for it either. If you only knew how far I have come, and things weren't always planned. Planning is good, but in due time. Enjoy your summer, and if you do anything, read up on how to get organized, etc. Your first two years of med school will be hard enough, and you may get burned out. Medicine should not be your entire life.

Guys,

I had some of the same concerns as OMD when I first got accepted to medical school. But after listening to the sage advice of Drs. Burnett and Atkinson, the summer before medical school should be spent trying to relax and mentally prepare for the emotional, physical, and intellectual challenge of med school this Fall. If anything, I have changed my thinking about worrying about residency to worry about how I will handle the first year of medical school. I now realize that you have to get through your first 2 years before you can even apply to residencies. Have some fun guys before our journey begins in Fall, but it isn't too early to think about improving your study skills/reading skills for our first year!

EDGAR

Hang on a second folks...reading a couple of books and mentally setting a course to obtain a good residency is NOT synonomous with me diligently studying the topic or trying to read all my first year texts in advance. You can bet your collective ***** that I am enjoying myself...the last Hoorah before classes start. I finally have the time to begin a physical fitness program...something I have neglected far too long. Life is good...just trying to adjust to the "pace" of K'Ville vs Dallas.

By nature, I am a procrastinator and a person who does not plan. I just floated along; but did not get a hell of lot accomplished. Only after I became a planner did I begin to succeed in my endevours. Being a planner does not translate to being "stern and inflexible." It does however mean that I try to exert some influence over my future.

Try not to take every comment someone makes to the Nth degree of extremism.

And, implement whatever system works best for you. Success is about personal contentment, not about the number of toys or liquid assetts you collect along the way.

Relax, enjoy, do your own thing and don't try to impose your ways on others...it's less stressful to everyone involved.

wink.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

I don't think there is anything "Premed" about lining up contacts for clinical rotations and residencies now.

Also, I don't think anyone would be thinking about these things if they thought they were going to have problems with the basic science years.

We're all going to have a good time getting to know eachother and pursuing our dreams together; so let's not try to push our views on one another along the way and spoil it.

P.S. Ponyboy, isn't the raven a scavenger bird?

[This message has been edited by Matthews (edited June 24, 1999).]

Actually, the raven is omnivorous, eating carrion only when it has to. On top of that, it's also one of the most intelligent birds in the world and is highly sociable and adaptable. (How's that for pre-med mentality
smile.gif
)

Anyways, when was the last time you saw a raven (or doctor for that matter) go hungry?

BTW OMD, I remembered the name of the head of the clinical path department-- Raymond Tubbs, DO. If I remember correctly, he was a graduate of KCOM. Being the head of path, he might be able to give you a few connections to other departments (what dept. can really function without pathology?). Might be a good idea to give him a call, eh?

[This message has been edited by Ponyboy (edited June 24, 1999).]

Oops!

I have decided not to continue the raven discussion.

[This message has been edited by Matthews (edited June 25, 1999).]

OMD,
If you wonder, these are the hospitals that serve as KCOM core hospitals: Youngstown, St. Joseph - Warren, Doctors - Massillon, Cuyahoga Falls, Mt. Sinai - Richmond Heights, Meridia - Warrensville Heights. I believe that once you are part of Ohio's CORE, you can do your rotations at any of the Ohio hospitals, as is the case for Michigan or other regions. Address for Ohio's CORE is
www.oucom.ohiou.edu/core.htm. Michigan's COGMET = cogmet.com.msu.edu.
Enjoy your summer though. You will regret it once school starts in 6 weeks! Have fun moving from Texas!
KCOM dude

[This message has been edited by DO 2 be (edited July 01, 1999).]