Clinical Written 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildernessrunner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw that we haven't had a post boards discussion since 2022. How did everyone feel about that exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Saw that we haven't had a post boards discussion since 2022. How did everyone feel about that exam?
Unless something drastic has changed, probably not great. The degree of minutia on this exam is notorious and despite the stated goal, does not assess standard proficiency.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless something drastic has changed, probably not great. The degree of minutia on this exam is notorious and despite the stated goal, does not assess standard proficiency.
Have to agree, having done all of radoncquestions, repeating high yield and incorrect, and both Essentials and Absolute Review, still felt like it was guesswork for 20-30% of the questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Have to agree, having done all of radoncquestions, repeating high yield and incorrect, and both Essentials and Absolute Review, still felt like it was guesswork for 20-30% of the questions
Then you should be fine. If you are pretty sure on half, 50/50 on a quarter, and wtf on a quarter, you are doing fine. But you summed it up great. How can you go through a databank of thousands of questions after years of training and still feel like you are guessing on up to a third of the test? Answer: it’s not assessing minimum competency.

Reactions: 5 users
I found it very hard. I am sure about 30%, and guessed on the remaining 70%. The trial questions were so detailed! I might have to rewrite :(

I found it very hard. I am sure about 30%, and guessed on the remaining 70%. The trial questions were so detailed! I might have to rewrite :(
I also feel like I may have to retake the exam, if that's any solace...

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Detailed trial questions are pointless. Hope you all passed. I remember feeling worse after and did ok.

Do they still ask the portec-2 vaginal recurrence rate with brachy?

Options were like 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 %

Really made me the rad onc I am today.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I remember there being all kinds of typos and some questions that probably had no correct answers back when I took it. My impression was the degree of sloppiness in the exam was incredible.

Reactions: 3 users
Detailed trial questions are pointless. Hope you all passed. I remember feeling worse after and did ok.

Do they still ask the portec-2 vaginal recurrence rate with brachy?

Options were like 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 %

Really made me the rad onc I am today.
Ah yes. I remember seeing one that asked what is the pCR for X disease. Seems reasonable enough. But funny thing, there are 3 RCTs with answers ranging from 9-16% and the options included 9, 12, and 16%. So…????

Folks, this is an unfortunate right of passage. I don’t know anyone who leaves there feeling good. I was concerned I failed it and ended up scoring in the top quartile. For me, the issue was expectations. I was told for years it’s so much better than the inservice exam and the questions are highly vetted. If I had an accurate impression of what to expect, it would have been a totally different experience. The failure rate is low and usually comes down to people foolishly not adequately studying (or getting bad advice about how much prep is needed). General walking around knowledge and practical experience are not sufficient to pass these exams. I think I’m pretty good at what I do and I have been an attending for almost 10 years. I doubt I would pass the sections on the disease sites I specialize in if I tied to take it with no prep today.

Reactions: 4 users
I understand they don't curve the score based on everyone's performance , is that correct? Does anyone know what is the cut-off for pass? For Canadian exam, we have to get 70% or more. TIA

I remember there being all kinds of typos and some questions that probably had no correct answers back when I took it. My impression was the degree of sloppiness in the exam was incredible.
I certainly found typos, and missing info in some questions

When you get into career you have to continue answering OLA questions every week to maintain your board certification.

These swing to the other extreme.

Example:

You find out the patient received quadruple the intended radiation dose. What is the appropriate response?

A. Ignore it.
B. High five the patient.
C. Self dose some Ativan out of the Pyxis.
D. Report it.

Seriously. Not that I'm complaining about having my ability to practice not tied to constantly remembering the recurrence rate on PORTEC-2 to the decimal point.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Every once in a while the OLA question will be more in-service style and have answer choices of 15% 17% 18% 19% just to trigger some PTSD
But I'm definitely not complaining

Every once in a while the OLA question will be more in-service style and have answer choices of 15% 17% 18% 19% just to trigger some PTSD
But I'm definitely not complaining
That's what the declines are for 😏

Reactions: 2 users
I certainly found typos, and missing info in some questions
Yeah, many questions with incomplete information on the clinical scenario that would guide recommendations. Was surprised by how sparse question stems were compared to radoncquestions.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, many questions with incomplete information on the clinical scenario that would guide recommendations. Was surprised by how sparse question stems were compared to radoncquestions.
100%

ROQ questions are definitely better written and then refined overtime with input from the community than literally all other MC questions, whether that be inservice, clinical writtens, even rad bio/physics...

This probably has been asked before, but I wanted to ask again.
What are the recommended resources for Radbio and physics? I write on June 25.
TIA

This probably has been asked before, but I wanted to ask again.
What are the recommended resources for Radbio and physics? I write on June 25.
TIA
raphex, radonc questions, astro sample test questions.

ROQ questions are definitely better written and then refined overtime with input from the community than literally all other MC questions, whether that be inservice, clinical writtens, even rad bio/physics...

ROQ has a very unique feature.

This is going to blow peoples minds.

They pay their question writers (at least they used to).