CNU vs OCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScribeBing

2°: 26 | II: 3 | A: 2
Reaction score
First would like to acknowledge how fortunate I am to be in this situation - a few months ago I was looking into Caribbean options and praying for this. All glory.

I completed my undergraduate education with CNU so I'm well aware of what the institution and the med school are like. Since then I have been in South Florida pursuing my clinical opportunities. MI native.

Orlando College of Osteopathic Medicine - Pros:
  • Beautiful state-of-the-art facility. The contrast could not be stronger compared to the minimal building of CNU. Please see OCOM's website for yourself.
  • Strong rotation sites with core rotations at Tampa General and Advent Health.
  • Location, long-term relationship which will be more manageable from Orlando to Miami than to Sacramento. I also strongly prefer Florida over California after living in both, partner is from FL and we see our future there.
  • Abundant opportunities for leadership, no clubs yet established etc.
Cons:
  • New program, no track record.
  • Virtual anatomy. Unsure if this is even a detriment as I've heard minimal learning potential as compared to virtual models/technology.
  • It's DO - double boards, potential stigma drawback during match. It does not affect my opinion and am relatively undecided on specialty but do imagine myself pursuing a sub surgical specialty/fellowship (GI, IR, Pain Management).

CNU - Pros:
  • Familiarity with the program/insight from students - it seems to be a highly collaborative environment. The small-scale nature of CNU is also attractive due to quality relationships with faculty and amongst classmates.
  • Undeniably strong and competitive match into type and quality of programs. This alone has significant weight in the decision.
  • It's a CA MD student body - I always want to be surrounded with those who will push myself to be better, and I've often heard those attending CNU are just short of T20 MD programs.
Cons:
  • Tuition/cost of living. It will be a $100-200k difference just out of med school. I already have sizeable burden after taking out loans for CNU undergrad. For-profit.
  • Rotation sites - does passing or honoring rotations at smaller/less prominent institutions get reflected during residency applications?
  • The 10,000 lbs elephant that is CNU's accreditation status.
I sincerely appreciate any and all insight. My decision has to be finalized by Friday.

Members don't see this ad.

Is re-applying an option?

Both of these schools would require you to take out private loans, which is no joke. You mentioned you’ve already had to take out private loans to attend CNU for undergrad, which makes this even more predatory.

This is my second application cycle already. I mentioned previously looking into Caribbean alternatives - it's this year or never. Thank you though

Members don't see this ad :)
Does OCOM offer federal loans? That is the only reason I would justify picking OCOM over CNU.

Personally, I’d go with CNU. Yes, the accreditation is a worry, but I don’t think the sky is falling. It’s still a USMD program. You’ll have a better match from CNU than OCOM.

You can't qualify for federal loans until the inaugural class has graduated, so not yet. I wish CNU offered federal loans... there must be some closed-door agreement with Sallie Mae.

I know certain attending positions are favorable towards erasing student debts, such as those through locum tenens. Does this apply to private loans? It doesn't help my current situation but would be nice to have awareness of.

Yeah, if OCOM and CNU both require private loans, I'd pick CNU. At the end of the day, it's still USMD and will keep more doors open for you. If you want to match back in FL, that should be doable with regional signaling, depending on what specialty you choose.

Reactions: 1 user
Toughest decision/week of my life; I will be continuing my education with CNU. Thank you both for your insight.

Reactions: 4 users
You can't qualify for federal loans until the inaugural class has graduated, so not yet. I wish CNU offered federal loans... there must be some closed-door agreement with Sallie Mae.

I know certain attending positions are favorable towards erasing student debts, such as those through locum tenens. Does this apply to private loans? It doesn't help my current situation but would be nice to have awareness of.
The website claims that CNU started in 2011. So the inaugural class would have graduated by now. Also do you know when the payment of private loans starts. Is it deferred till you have an income or does it starts immediately.

Good catch - I previously read that for-profit institutions do not qualify for federal loans, similarly CNU's own wording mentioned choosing not to participate. There is typically a 6 month grace period following the end of enrollment before first payment is due. Also keep in mind that interest does accrue during the duration of your education

Reactions: 1 user
1) CNU's private lenders do defer required payment until ~ 6 months after residency but interest does accumulate throughout that time
2) CNU does qualify for federal loans but opts against making them available. according to dean isaacs, this is because the CNU board did not want government oversight into their finances because it would limit their autonomy - this decision was likely made back before the inception of the medical school (when CNU began as a pharmacy school)

Reactions: 1 users