Program-Specific Info / Q's Columbia University MSOT Video Submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otstudent95

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to navigate the video question submission portion for Columbia University's MSOT application? Here is what the directions state-

For each question you have a maximum of 2.5 minutes to record your video.

When you are ready to begin, please click on the "Begin" text next to each question.

When you click begin, the question will appear. When you are ready to record, press "Start Recording".

You will have 2.5 minutes to complete the response. You will have two chances to record your response to each question. If you want to discard your response, click "Reset" and start over.

After you complete the video or the time runs out, you will be given the ability to play back your response. Hit Submit when you are happy with your response.

Does this mean that I only have 2.5 minutes to think of a response before I hit the record button? If anyone has already gone through the process of the video submission any advice or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I did this a little over a month ago and had the same questions. Unless they’ve changed it (which I think would be odd), the application system allows you to view the question before you submit the video response. So, what I did was clicked start or view the question (can’t remember what it said) and then thought about my response and practiced a few times before hitting record. One thing that I wish they told you is that you have to hit the stop record button once 2.5 minutes is up. I felt fine about my first take but assumed the video stopped recording at the beep so I sort of took a deep breath or sighed and then looked at myself in the camera thinking for ten seconds before I realized the timer doesn’t stop the recording! So I had to redo it because I looked ridiculous in these silent ten seconds after my answer haha. I can also tell you that it was just one video response. I remember getting the impression that there would be multiple questions. I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

I did this a little over a month ago and had the same questions. Unless they’ve changed it (which I think would be odd), the application system allows you to view the question before you submit the video response. So, what I did was clicked start or view the question (can’t remember what it said) and then thought about my response and practiced a few times before hitting record. One thing that I wish they told you is that you have to hit the stop record button once 2.5 minutes is up. I felt fine about my first take but assumed the video stopped recording at the beep so I sort of took a deep breath or sighed and then looked at myself in the camera thinking for ten seconds before I realized the timer doesn’t stop the recording! So I had to redo it because I looked ridiculous in these silent ten seconds after my answer haha. I can also tell you that it was just one video response. I remember getting the impression that there would be multiple questions. I hope this helps!
I should clarify that it didn’t time me once I looked at the question. The timing starts once you hit record. I didn’t navigate away from the page because I was nervous that it wouldn’t let me come back or something but I definitely spent maybe 20 minutes thinking about the question before I finally attempted it

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I should clarify that it didn’t time me once I looked at the question. The timing starts once you hit record. I didn’t navigate away from the page because I was nervous that it wouldn’t let me come back or something but I definitely spent maybe 20 minutes thinking about the question before I finally attempted it

Thank you SO much! I was nervous I wouldn't have enough time to think of an answer! Did you take up the full 2.5 minutes to record your response?

Thank you SO much! I was nervous I wouldn't have enough time to think of an answer! Did you take up the full 2.5 minutes to record your response?
I did! But, I'm chatty as well haha. Also, I don't remember exactly but I think they ask you a general question and then give you a couple of points to hit so I was trying to make sure I covered everything. Then when it beeps to let you know time is up, I just said thank you and hit stop recording :)

I did! But, I'm chatty as well haha. Also, I don't remember exactly but I think they ask you a general question and then give you a couple of points to hit so I was trying to make sure I covered everything. Then when it beeps to let you know time is up, I just said thank you and hit stop recording :)

Omg i was talking so fast because I had so much to say.. didn't even have time to say thank you at the end lol
Thank you for all the tips though!

Omg i was talking so fast because I had so much to say.. didn't even have time to say thank you at the end lol
Thank you for all the tips though!
Oh you're so welcome! Yeah, I remember being a little surprised by the beep and making a face haha. My thank you was probably silly. Nice to be done, right? Congrats!