Competitiveness for ophthalmology residency, not getting any away rotation offers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSaltySpitoon

Reaction score
Want to solicit some thoughts regarding my application and gauge my competitiveness for this year. My step 2 score is pretty average for ophthalmology when we look at the most recent cycle and a PD from another institution had said 260+ are now more common than ever. My class ranking/clinical grades puts me in the middle, and 0 away offers thus far (applied to 4, 1 rejection).

Step 1: Pass
Step 2: 256
Clinical grades H/HP/P: 4/1/2
T20-30 medical school with home program

Research: years of lab research experience, overall a good mix of lab, clinical, and health disparities research
Publications: 12 accepted (3 first author), 5 more submitted in review (2 first author)
Abstracts: a little over a dozen, half of them first author
Letters: all 3 in ophthalmology, 2 are full professors
ECs: community vision health with emphasis on uninsured and immigrant populations, significant teaching experience

Members don't see this ad.

Want to solicit some thoughts regarding my application and gauge my competitiveness for this year. My step 2 score is pretty average for ophthalmology when we look at the most recent cycle and a PD from another institution had said 260+ are now more common than ever. My class ranking/clinical grades puts me in the middle, and 0 away offers thus far (applied to 4, 1 rejection).

Step 1: Pass
Step 2: 256
Clinical grades H/HP/P: 4/1/2
T20-30 medical school with home program

Research: years of lab research experience, overall a good mix of lab, clinical, and health disparities research
Publications: 12 accepted (3 first author), 5 more submitted in review (2 first author)
Abstracts: a little over a dozen, half of them first author
Letters: all 3 in ophthalmology, 2 are full professors
ECs: community vision health with emphasis on uninsured and immigrant populations, significant teaching experience
You have workable application. Apply mid tier aways. Do 2 aways. I hate to say this, but apply more. Get some aways. Get connections at away. Dual apply if you feel equally good for other speciality. Dont give up on ophthalmology yet. You have very workable application.

It’s more than workable. It’s competitive for mid-tier programs. Hang in there. Apply to a lot more aways

Members don't see this ad :)
12 publications?!? Thank God I'm not a medical student applying to Ophtho. There is no way I would match!

Your application seems competitive and matchable to me. I wouldn't worry about the lack of aways acceptances as a sign of risk of not matching. I don't see why you would need to apply to a back-up specialty. Ophthalmology is a gem - keep working hard and pursuing it!