Competiton In Getting Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiprayer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how you compete with other people to get a residency if your institution doesnt give out actual grades. They only have a pass/fail system. Somewhere like Nevada or even the newer schools like Pacific. They dont give you an actual GPA. How will this affect me in the future if I decided to go into a specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't aware that there were pharmacy schools that don't assign grades in at least some classes.

My roommate's b/f applied to law school after getting a bachelor's from The Evergreen State College, which does the no grade thing. Some schools would not consider him, others tried to assign grades based on his written assessments. No one but a representative of a particular site can say for sure what that site will or will not do if such a situation were to arise.

Thanks Bananaface for your response,

Yeah from my understanding at these schools with block systems.

I believe Nevada, Pacific, and Appalachia you have to get 90 percent to pass. So i think you can only pass/fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have yet to hear of any USN students who have been unable to get into residency training who have been interested. They many not have all gotten their first choice but not all do anyway (2nd choice isn't bad at all). I know the students need to make sure their CVs and letters of recommendation are very strong. It also helps if someone at the residency program knows faculty or former students.

bananaface said:
You're welcome. Maybe students from those schools have some input.