Dental school chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sallyypredent0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I want to start out with telling you guys about my situation:
I just received my final grade for organic chemistry and found out that I failed. This just messed up my plan of applying to dental school next year 2018. I am really worried right now and starting to think that I will not ever get into dental school. I don't know what else I can do if I don't get into Dental school. It's been my ultimate goal since I've graduated high school. I have to admit, I did not start out college strong with a high GPA but i worked hard during the summer to bring my GPA up to a 3.0 and now that I've received a D, my GPA will go down to a 2.87. I think it was because i was taking 3 science courses and the stress load was not what i was used to, but I am aiming for an A when i retake it. Previously, I got a C in general chemistry 1 and retook it and got a high B.
It's very upsetting because now my GPA is low and I'm a junior in college. I want to get into Dental school ASAP. Is it still possible to get into Dental school without getting a masters if i get a really high score on the DAT and improve my GPA?
Sorry this is long and thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

To maximize your chances of getting into dental school, I think it is a good idea to invest some time to raise your GPA to about 3.5.
I also received a C+ in introductory biology course but I did well in upper sciences and I got in.
Was it organic chemistry I or II? Because if you ace orgo 2, you'll prove to dental schools that you improved, and can handle more rigorous curriculum.
There is still chance to do well on the DAT and make sure to work on extracurriculars, shadowing, volunteer, and personal statement as well!
Never give up your dream to become a dentist! You can do it. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, I calculated what I needed to get a 3.5 and it was impossible because i need to take more credits. I can probably raise my GPA to about 3.3 and maybe if I retake a couple of courses I can manage to get a 3.4. Also, I failed Organic Chemistry I and it was because my professors grading policy was, if you fail the final you basically fail the class. I want to work hard when I retake it to get an A and then when I take Organic Chemistry II I will aim for an A as well in hopes that Dental schools will see the upward trend.

Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you’ll have to at least do a post bac or masters program. Since you’re a junior, you’ve probably taken around 75 and have 45 left. That would mean if you got a 4.0 for all 45 remaining credits, your GPA would be just shy of 3.3. Also, AADSAS doesn’t do grade replacement so your initial grades would also be calculated into your GPA. Here’s my advice: crush the last 3 semesters of college, apply to a 2 year program (you can do one but your GPA won’t improve as much), and get 21+ on the DAT

I think you’ll have to at least do a post bac or masters program. Since you’re a junior, you’ve probably taken around 75 and have 45 left. That would mean if you got a 4.0 for all 45 remaining credits, your GPA would be just shy of 3.3. Also, AADSAS doesn’t do grade replacement so your initial grades would also be calculated into your GPA. Here’s my advice: crush the last 3 semesters of college, apply to a 2 year program (you can do one but your GPA won’t improve as much), and get 21+ on the DAT
Agreed!
Really kill the DAT and consider post-bacc. Unfortunately, grades and test scores are the number-one priority as a pre-dent. Try to eliminate the extra distractions in your life if you really want this. If your GPA still isn't what you want by the time you end school, take 2-3 months off to focus on studying for that DAT.
AND THEN do some research into which schools are realistic for your stats. A 3.3 won't get you into Harvard (lol, even a 4.0 doesn't guarantee that), but there are many other schools that accept students with that range of GPA.

I understand you want to get into dental school ASAP but so does 12,000 other people. So here’s the good news. I know of two people who got into dental school with a 19 DAT and just barely a 3.0 GPA. But it wasn’t easy and it wasn’t quick. One did a Masters program and both of them took 3 cycles to get in. They had hundreds of hours of volunteering and shadowing, and they were careful about the schools they applied to.
Don’t lose heart. Work hard to get A’s in the last year of school, but be prepared for a challenge. It may take time but you can do it.

When you retake O Chem, buy this book: Organic Chemistry as a Second Language by David Klein. It will get you an A in the class.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that taking 3 science classes is a good excuse for your grade. Dental schools want to see if you can handle stress, so maybe thinking about post-bac to bring up your GPA, and show them you can handle multiple science classes! Good luck