DIY Post-bacc Courses: Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shrutebeetandb

Reaction score
I decided to do a DIY post-bacc instead of a formal one. Due to childcare constraints/covid, I'm part time this year and can move to full-time next academic year. I've already talked to the director of admissions at my state school, who said they do not care about part/full time courseloads considering the impact of the pandemic on childcare options in my area. Here is my current plan:

Fall 21 (now): Chem I and Lab
Spring 22: Chem II/Lab, Bio I
Summer 22: Organic I/Lab (8 weeks-first session)
Fall 22: Organic II/Lab, Physics I, Cellular Bio
Spring 23: Biochem, Physics II, Genetics
Estimated MCAT last week of May after completing Spring 23 classes, applications submitted with score pending

My other option is to take both Organic I and Organic II over the summer blocks, bump biochem to the fall, then study for the MCAT and take physiology if it's offered that spring. The downside is the cost of childcare, the impact on my family, and that will really hinder my ability to research and get in clinical hours, which I need. I feel comfortable preparing for physiology through coursera/independently without taking a class before the MCAT. I also am not worried about Physics I and II because I have completed Calc I and II and took AP Physics in high school.

tl;dr: Would it be necessary to bump Organic II to the summer to allow time for MCAT prep, or is it reasonable to prepare for it whilst taking biochem?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend preparing for the MCAT at a different time. Trying to get through biochemistry, physics 2 and genetics will be challenging enough. Adding mcat prep onto this is a recipe for suboptimal performance in your classes and/or on the mcat. I would not bump Orgo 2 to the summer because that really won't help you much. You definitely need to complete biochem and physics 2 prior to the mcat.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend preparing for the MCAT at a different time. Trying to get through biochemistry, physics 2 and genetics will be challenging enough. Adding mcat prep onto this is a recipe for suboptimal performance in your classes and/or on the mcat. I would not bump Orgo 2 to the summer because that really won't help you much. You definitely need to complete biochem and physics 2 prior to the mcat.
Yeah, I don’t really have a choice though, or it’ll put me out two years. I could move phys I to next spring and phys II to the fall.

Yeah, I don’t really have a choice though, or it’ll put me out two years. I could move phys I to next spring and phys II to the fall.
You do have a choice - I’ve worked with a number of students who have fallen into the trap of thinking that they need to meet an arbitrary deadline only to have suboptimal performance on the mcat. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user