Medical Do I have a chance at applying to primary care after being in two different residencies already?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to seek some advice/guidance on my current situation in life. I graduated from an osteopathic medical school in June 2019 and scrambled into an IM residency which started in July 2019. My COMLEX 1 score was 594 and COMLEX 2 was 508. I passed both Level 1 and 2 on first attempts but due to some poor application strategies, I failed to match in my initial field of choice (radiology) and ended up scrambling into IM in a location far away from home. At the time, I was grateful to just find any residency position but after about 2 months into the residency I started considering a switch into another intriguing field which I had only done 1 medical school rotation in and felt as if I was missing out. I made a terrible decision to resign from IM after only 2 months to pursue pathology which at the time seemed like a difficult but correct choice. I did get support from my IM program director and I did end up wasting a year and reapplying and matching into a pathology program the following cycle but the program was very low on my list and again very far from family. I am currently in my PGY-1 pathology year but after about 3 months in, I realized what a terrible mistake I made by entering this field. Not only am I getting frequent migraines from microscope usage, there is a lot of formalin exposure that seems to adversely effect my lungs and throat that I was not anticipating. I spoke to my pathology PD again and am embarrassed to admit that I am reapplying to primary care specialties for a PGY-1 spot. I wanted to ask if given my stats and history whether there is a possibility for me to match into an IM or FM program if I apply broadly. My end goal now is to be a hospitalist. I know what I am getting with IM/FM and hence this is the only field I can realistically see myself succeeding in at this point. Any advice or guidance would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
Is there a chance? Yes.

Are your chances great? No.

If I was a PD and saw your track record I wouldn’t take a chance with you. I know I am being blunt but it’s the honest truth. Programs take time to put you through training and you have also taken slots from other people.

Are you still in pathology or did you completely quit?

Members don't see this ad.

I am still in my PGY-1 year of pathology. I was planning on applying to every IM/FM residency as well as TY positions while hoping to finish step 3 this year. I really just want to get back over to the clinical side but stuck in pathology due to my poor decisions. I never should have left that IM residency, regret it everyday.

I mean, if you are that miserable I guess give it a shot. How much money have you paid over the last two cycles already? Now you are gonna apply to hundreds of IM/FM?

Yup, I did take financial hits the last couple years and this year I'm about to drop basically whatever is left on ERAS to put me out of my misery. But yes, I can't believe how ridiculous this sounds now. And really not even sure if any residency will take me seriously.

I mean, most (IMO) won’t take you seriously. However, there are tons of FM/IM programs and if you literally apply to all (which sounds horrendous) you are most likely going to find one that will take a chance with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to seek some advice/guidance on my current situation in life. I graduated from an osteopathic medical school in June 2019 and scrambled into an IM residency which started in July 2019. My COMLEX 1 score was 594 and COMLEX 2 was 508. I passed both Level 1 and 2 on first attempts but due to some poor application strategies, I failed to match in my initial field of choice (radiology) and ended up scrambling into IM in a location far away from home. At the time, I was grateful to just find any residency position but after about 2 months into the residency I started considering a switch into another intriguing field which I had only done 1 medical school rotation in and felt as if I was missing out. I made a terrible decision to resign from IM after only 2 months to pursue pathology which at the time seemed like a difficult but correct choice. I did get support from my IM program director and I did end up wasting a year and reapplying and matching into a pathology program the following cycle but the program was very low on my list and again very far from family. I am currently in my PGY-1 pathology year but after about 3 months in, I realized what a terrible mistake I made by entering this field. Not only am I getting frequent migraines from microscope usage, there is a lot of formalin exposure that seems to adversely effect my lungs and throat that I was not anticipating. I spoke to my pathology PD again and am embarrassed to admit that I am reapplying to primary care specialties for a PGY-1 spot. I wanted to ask if given my stats and history whether there is a possibility for me to match into an IM or FM program if I apply broadly. My end goal now is to be a hospitalist. I know what I am getting with IM/FM and hence this is the only field I can realistically see myself succeeding in at this point. Any advice or guidance would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

There is definitely a chance, but the fact that you already quit 1 program will be a turn off to many programs.

Appreciate the help. Anybody have any insight on quitting intern year and making a comeback? I'm sure there have been others in the past who have done this and learned their lesson and made a come back. Anyone who has experience and can chime in, it would be really helpful.
I mean, pretty sure no one in here has. If you want, you can post in the non-confidential forums and maybe get a bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.