Medical Do I need volunteer and leadership experience with my GPA/MCAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have applied to medical school this cycle and so far have had mixed results. I am a CO resident at a large public university. From an academic standpoint, my grades/MCAT are very good [4.0/523]. What is lacking from my application I believe is related to leadership activities and commitment to the underserved community. To try to improve my application I am addressing these issues should I not be successful this cycle. I have an opportunity to advance my education further by entering into a BS/MS program in my major [biochemistry]. Currently, I will graduate in 3yrs unless I switch into this program [and then will graduate in 2020 after 4 yrs]. Should I try to get more leadership and volunteer activities? I did apply to all the schools in my LizzyM and WARS range.
Schools are mostly worried about if you can compete academically. The other stuff is a differentiator between those candidates with similar GPAs/MCATs.

You have proven you'll be okay academically -- so don't sweat it too much. Since you've applied across schools in your LizzyM and WARS range, you should be good.

Let me know how you do through this cycle! Hoping the best for you! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.