Do MD/PhD supported with MSTP get stipends during both their MD and PhD training, or just during their PhD training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredocn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was trying to find the answer online, but I couldn't find anything helpful. If a student applies and gets admitted to MSTP programs, to my understanding, both their MD and PhD training are cost free. However MSTP programs give students annual stipends. Are these stipends given to students just during their PhD training only, or all through out the 8+ years of training for both MD and PhD?

Members don't see this ad.

For all of the funded years -- usually 7 or 8 years total. If you take too long with your dissertation, you could get cut off from funding.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My stipend started the day I showed up to my first summer rotation starting this June. One student here took 8+ years during their PhD and he was funded the entire time.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
My stipend started the day I showed up to my first summer rotation starting this June. One student here took 8+ years during their PhD and he was funded the entire time.
Do you have to pay for your food and housing from that stipend, or is that stipend completely separate from housing and food?

The program pays for tuition + fees and gives you a stipend. You can use the stipend for living costs or whatever you want

The program pays for tuition + fees and gives you a stipend. You can use the stipend for living costs or whatever you want
In addition to the MSTP program, can you quality for need based scholarships that cover for your living stipend outside of the MSTP program? I know this need-based scholarship depends on each school, but are there scenarios where you get scholarships directly from the school?

An MSTP student is getting tuition covered along with a stipend that is intended to cover living expenses.
Here's one example:
All MD-PhD students receive a stipend. The 2022-2023 stipend levels are:

• Students in Year 1: $40,900
  • Students in Year 2: $43,910
  • Students in Year 3 and beyond: $46,250
A full tuition waiver for every year in the program, up to a $1,500 lab supplement, and health and dental insurance. In addition, any student who writes and is awarded their own fellowship, may be eligible for a $5,000 stipend supplement.

Full tuition scholarship, health and dental insurance and 40K for living expenses. Do you need more??

Are you asking if students who are not in MSTP can get need based aid that covers living expenses?
Yes, it is possible but quite uncommon. Most students are expected to have some skin in the game by covering, through savings or loans, at least some of the cost of attendance.

An MSTP student is getting tuition covered along with a stipend that is intended to cover living expenses.
Here's one example:
All MD-PhD students receive a stipend. The 2022-2023 stipend levels are:

• Students in Year 1: $40,900
  • Students in Year 2: $43,910
  • Students in Year 3 and beyond: $46,250
A full tuition waiver for every year in the program, up to a $1,500 lab supplement, and health and dental insurance. In addition, any student who writes and is awarded their own fellowship, may be eligible for a $5,000 stipend supplement.

Full tuition scholarship, health and dental insurance and 40K for living expenses. Do you need more??
You picked up on my never ending questions haha. Thank you! One more question, if the student is in an MSTP program, gets the stipend to cover living expenses and is from a low income background, can s/he still get MORE money outside of the MSTP program through the school as a need-based scholarships? For example, I have seen several MD-only students getting need-based scholarships directly from the medical schools. if these students were accepted to MSTP programs, would they lose their eligibility for the need-based scholarships they receive?

Reactions: 1 user
You picked up on my never ending questions haha. Thank you! One more question, if the student is in an MSTP program, gets the stipend to cover living expenses and is from a low income background, can s/he still get MORE money outside of the MSTP program through the school as a need-based scholarships? For example, I have seen several MD-only students getting need-based scholarships directly from the medical schools. if these students were accepted to MSTP programs, would they lose their eligibility for the need-based scholarships they receive?
Students essentially have no income while in school (unless they have a trust fund or otherwise have unearned income). The idea is that the MSTP stipend covers what a student would need to pay for living expenses. If you have a $40K stipend, the school will consider you to have all the funds you need. A need-based scholarship suggests that there is a need. Now a low income MD student might get some need-based scholarship funding if savings and parental income are not enough to cover cost of attendance but the assumption is that the tuition plus MSTP stipend that totals about $100,000/yr is enough all by itself for MSTP students.

$40K is on the higher end of stipends from what I've seen, but even with $25-35k/year, that's enough to cover most people's living expenses. You might have to live with roommates or find other ways to live within the budget but programs do want their students to afford to live. In some cases, students have taken out loans if they have greater expenses (typically if they have children) but programs try to make sure that their students aren't living entirely on the edge.

Some scholarships will only cover what isn't already covered by other sources. MSTPs cover basically everything so getting the scholarships will not earn you more money. It depends on the scholarship.

Like LizzyM said, some programs will give you an effective stipend increase if you get a F30/31 during the grad school years. But, that isn't universal.

That said, also don't apply to MD-PhD programs just because you get tuition + stipend covered. If your reason is purely financial, taking loans for med school (and not doing the PhD) will put you ahead.

The school I used as an example is in an area with a high cost of living so it might be on the high side. Totally agree that one should not apply to MSTP because of the tuition/stipend. Unless you are a strong candidate for admission to a PhD at that school, it is a foolish choice in terms of making an application and a bad bet financially given the additional years of your life that you give up for the training required.

Just wanted to add that it isn’t the same for any non-NIH funded MD-PhD programs, so be sure to examine whether a school is on the NIH list or not. Non-funded programs commonly explain their financial assistance on the program’s website. Schools vary assistance with some not providing tuition assistance or stipend until you start the PhD years (with the MS1 and 2 tuition benefit retroactive) to others providing full tuition coverage and a cost of living stipend all 7-8 years. Keep in mind, these schools are using internal or state funds so they are more invested in students getting F30s or private fellowships and graduating on time.

NIH-funded programs do have to justify their matriculants, so they tend to place an emphasis on statistics for their interviewees. Places like Case Western, UVA, Hopkins, and Wash U have sky high MSTP average MCAT and GPA.

Reactions: 1 users