Do Rotations Play a Factor in Residency Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caverject

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would just like to get some thoughts about this. I am almost certain I will be going for a certain residency that is somewhat prestigious, but I know my grades are not the best in the world. I have an excellent CV, and will probably have excellent letters of recommendations (Have 2 out of three already). I am begining to wonder if choosing more "known" rotations will benefit me or not. For example, I have an option of doing my rotations at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida. The residency I am interested in is in the blustery northern midwest. (Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota area) Would it help my chances of matching into my number 1 residency? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, your rotations do play a part. One of the things I have been told is that an ambulatory care/primary care rotation is a rather important rotation to have if you plan on pursuing a pharmacy practice residency. I've interviewed at a program that requires that the resident see patients one day a week in the ambulatory care clinic as part of your longitudinal responsibilities, and you will more than likely do rotations in these areas as a resident, staffing the anticoag clinic, for example. If you are not required to do an amb care rotation, I would do one anyways.

Rotations should allow you to get from it what you put in it...that's why challenging rotations are best for the residency-bound. Don't pick rotations where you just come in, do a few things and leave, with no feedback from your preceptor (I know of a few). Your CV is improved by being able to list more than the usual everyday stuff in your rotation descriptions. More than likely, you will be asked about an aspect of your rotations, such as any interventions you might have made.

Also, if you know that there are certain connections between preceptors at rotations and preceptors and directors at your desired residency, you might want to take advantage of that. They can put in a good word for you come LOR time, and since they know the director or someone else there, the letter will mean more.

I don't remember ever being singled out because I might have done some rotations at certain well known hospitals (I take that back, I was asked if "so-and-so" was still working at a certain hospital I did rotations at), but I really don't know if the words "Mayo Clinic" on your CV might provoke a response at your interview. ;)

Dood..

Of course it does..choose the best rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
ZpackSux said:
Dood..

Of course it does..choose the best rotations.

Yeah, that's it! What he said.

for a smart person..that was a dumb question! :smuggrin:

FutureRxGal said:
Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. :D :laugh:

So you boys are from Alabama... Little Rock is a fine town..