Doctors who smoke and/or drink

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingDave

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's your general opinion of doctors who smoke cigarettes and/or get drunk? I personally think if I couldn't kick these habits, I'd be reeeeeeal quiet about them, although they're impossible to hide from people who know you well and spend a lot of time with you. Do you feel as a doctor, you'll have a duty to set an example of healthy fun for the general population, or do you believe to each his own, and business and pleasure are two separate things?

I'm thinking of the specialty I'm most interested in: psychiatry. Seems to me a smoking or drinking (or recreasional drug using) psychiatrist would look really bad. Aren't they the ones who can cope with life healthily enough to not only carry their own burdens, but also help others who aren't so together carry theirs? I guess I'm talking more about the perceived role in the eyes of patients, which is an important factor in treatment I imagine, rather than the actual rundown of duties performed and services rendered.

** whoops, didn't mean to post this twice (here and in the Everyone forum). feel free to take this off if you want. ***

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.