Emailing schools about another school's CTE deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Super_Med

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on multiple WLs, but currently have one acceptance. My CTE deadline for my PTE school is in the first week of July. Would it be worth emailing my WL schools about this CTE deadline, saying that I would 100% withdraw from my current acceptance if I am offered an acceptance (to any of my WL schools) before the CTE deadline?

Members don't see this ad.

I am on multiple WLs, but currently have one acceptance. My CTE deadline for my PTE school is in the first week of July. Would it be worth emailing my WL schools about this CTE deadline, saying that I would 100% withdraw from my current acceptance if I am offered an acceptance (to any of my WL schools) before the CTE deadline?
If you send this to all of them, and two of them accept you, the original email would not be true.
I suppose you could say that if they are the next school to send an acceptance before CTE, you would 100% attend! ...as long as that is true.

Reactions: 1 users
If you send this to all of them, and two of them accept you, the original email would not be true.
I suppose you could say that if they are the next school to send an acceptance before CTE, you would 100% attend! ...as long as that is true.
In your experience, does this have any value at this stage of the game? Is any school really holding back, where a nudge telling them about your CTE deadline is all it takes to provoke action?

It seems to me like schools can't give out As they don't have, and telling them about your CTE deadline doesn't change that fact. They can see you are PTE somewhere, and are well aware that schools have CTE deadlines. In other words, how is this different from a LOI, and how does an approaching CTE deadline change anything for anyone, other than the candidate, who will soon be forced to withdraw from the WL?

Members don't see this ad :)
In your experience, does this have any value at this stage of the game?
In CA, we do see a flurry of this kind of email as large OOS private schools (and at least one small IS) approach their CTE dates.
If the class is full (and it would be at this time of year), it has no effect.

Reactions: 1 user
It would be true that I would withdraw my current acceptance (my one acceptance that I'm holding right now) if any of those other schools accepted me. I guess the "issue" comes if more than one of those WL schools accepts me, but even then, I technically wouldn't be lying to them since I would have withdrawn my original acceptance to now decide between the other schools that took me off the WL, right? I already sent a LOIntent to a school, so that's why I'm not using the language of "I would 100% attend your school if accepted."

In your experience, does this have any value at this stage of the game? Is any school really holding back, where a nudge telling them about your CTE deadline is all it takes to provoke action?

It seems to me like schools can't give out As they don't have, and telling them about your CTE deadline doesn't change that fact. They can see you are PTE somewhere, and are well aware that schools have CTE deadlines. In other words, how is this different from a LOI, and how does an approaching CTE deadline change anything for anyone, other than the candidate, who will soon be forced to withdraw from the WL?
My reasoning is that maybe one or two accepted students may withdraw from my WL schools in the coming weeks, opening up a spot in the class (assuming the class size is at max capacity and not over-enrolled at the moment), and this would cause WL movement. The school likely wants to fill that spot ASAP, so I was hoping my email would be a good way of telling them that I would fill that seat instantly.

I already sent a LOIntent to a school, so that's why I'm not using the language of "I would 100% attend your school if accepted."
As long as you only used "100%" language once, I see no evidence of deception.

It would be true that I would withdraw my current acceptance (my one acceptance that I'm holding right now) if any of those other schools accepted me. I guess the "issue" comes if more than one of those WL schools accepts me, but even then, I technically wouldn't be lying to them since I would have withdrawn my original acceptance to now decide between the other schools that took me off the WL, right? I already sent a LOIntent to a school, so that's why I'm not using the language of "I would 100% attend your school if accepted."

My reasoning is that maybe one or two accepted students may withdraw from my WL schools in the coming weeks, opening up a spot in the class (assuming the class size is at max capacity and not over-enrolled at the moment), and this would cause WL movement. The school likely wants to fill that spot ASAP, so I was hoping my email would be a good way of telling them that I would fill that seat instantly.
I get it, but that's always true for anyone sending a LOI. Your CTE date doesn't change anything for them. It just creates a sense of urgency for you.