Ethical Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmnrraven

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know someone who was asked the following:

If the only way to stop Joseph Kony was to kill him, would you?

Tough question... Any idea on what a good answer would be?

Members don't see this ad.

nmnrraven said:

The correct answer is yes. Why was this tough?

nmnrraven said:

just curious...who is Joseph Kony?

Members don't see this ad :)
riceman04 said:
just curious...who is Joseph Kony?
yeah - I am with you. If anybody asked me this question, I would have responded with (blank stare) "who is that?"

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kony

Joseph Kony (born 1961 in Odek, northern Uganda) is the primary leader of a guerrilla paramilitary group, and possibly new religious movement, called the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), engaged in a violent campaign to establish a theocratic government in Uganda purportedly based on the Bible and the Ten Commandments.
A high-school dropout, he made his first appearance in January of 1987, at age 26. His group was one of many millenarian groups that sprang up in Acholiland in the wake of the wildly popular Holy Spirit Movement of Alice Auma. However, the conflict in the north began in the resentment among the Acholis at their relative loss of influence after the coming to power of Yoweri Museveni in 1986 through the defeat of Acholi President Tito Okello. While the initial resistance to the National Resistance Army in 1986 was by the Uganda People's Democratic Army, the UPDA collapsed in 1988.
Kony claims to be a spirit medium. The primary spirit said to be channeled during the early insurgency was Juma Oris, formerly a government minister under President Idi Amin who at the time was leading the rebel West Nile Bank Front in the northwestern Uganda. Another is the spirit of a Chinese general. Kony is a practising polygamist.
This is what one of the abductees that escaped from Kony observed:
"It was a strange religion Kony adhered to. He prayed to the God of the Christians on Sundays reciting the Rosary and quoting the bible; but he also prayed on Fridays, like the Moslems. He celebrated Christmas, but he also fasted for 30 days during Ramadan and prohibited the consumption of pork." It should,however,be noted that similar practices are not completely unknown,(see Druze).
Reference: p.73 Aboke Girls by Els De Temmerman http://www.iap.nl.com/speeches_annu...orism_financing_speech_by_richard_buteera.htm
"The Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), which has earned a terrifying reputation for its brutality against the people of northern Uganda, has abducted an estimated 20,000 children over the years."
Reference: Sex slavery awaits Ugandan schoolgirls By Kathryn Westcott, BBC News Online http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3019838.stm
There have been many observations of Kony traveling to Sudan and receiving supplies from Khartoum (currently an Islamic government). The apparent belief in two different religions may be to serve two purposes. They claim to believe in Christianity in order to gain acceptability in the conservative dedicated rural Christian community in which they operate, although it appears Christians and other non-Muslims are their primary targets, as in Sudan. It is reasoned their attempt is to be a proxy disconnecting itself in all appearance from its main backers in Sudan. It must be noted Uganda's close proximity to the similarly troubled regions of Sudan where the Non-Muslim and black populations are killed and displaced by the Janjaweed militia.
The LRA is based in northern Uganda. At the end of 2003, the LRA made an incursion outside of their traditional areas of operation in Acholiland into the Teso regions. Some state that this was the beginning of their "Waterloo," though the Ugandan government has declared that the LRA has been defeated three times since 1986. LRA lieutenants have sporadically engaged in negotiations with the government since 2003, though Kony's negotiating position is ambiguous.

crazy_cavalier said:
The correct answer is yes. Why was this tough?

I wasn't asked the question but I can see how it would be tough. Really, one has to think about the conflict you'd have with the hipocratic oath by saying you'd kill someone. At the same time, Joseph Kony needs to go.

For those who don't know who he is: Joseph Kony is perhaps the most brutal of warlords in the world today. His Lord's Resistance Army gathers up local children, in some cases forced them to kill their own parents, and then enlists them in his army. That's the short version.

There are plenty of people I would have no problem killing.

Actually quite easy...yes.

Another question.

There is a head on collision between two people, one is a 19-year-old male, and the other is a 75-year-old male. Both are badly injured, and you, as the only physician that can make this decision, must decide how to handle the situation. He is the kicker, you only have enough resources to treat one of them. NOTE: Clearly this would NEVER happen, but if you actually could only treat ONE what would you do?

akinf said:
Another question.

There is a head on collision between two people, one is a 19-year-old male, and the other is a 75-year-old male. Both are badly injured, and you, as the only physician that can make this decision, must decide how to handle the situation. He is the kicker, you only have enough resources to treat one of them. NOTE: Clearly this would NEVER happen, but if you actually could only treat ONE what would you do?

The question is...
Why would anyone in their right mind choose to save the old guy?

This thread blows.....

the is simple...it never is the only way to kill someone...there is always a better path made of light...goodness....kindness....and patience and so on