FAFSA and Financial Aid Delay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thorgan17

Reaction score
I have not heard back from any of my 3 acceptances regarding financial aid other than that one received my Fafsa. Has anyone else had this problem? I’d like to know my financial situation sooner than later.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the vast majority of us are in this predicament. I haven't heard from either of my 2 A's on financial aid and don't know of anyone who has. I knew which one I wanted to attend based on opportunities so I went ahead and dropped my second A but it definitely would've been nice to be able to make an informed decision before tomorrow's deadline.

Reactions: 1 user
I have not heard back from any of my 3 acceptances regarding financial aid other than that one received my Fafsa. Has anyone else had this problem? I’d like to know my financial situation sooner than later.
This was posted by @WildWing on another thread (just bolding the parts that are relevant to your question) - essentially you can ask schools for an extension on deciding where to go. This literally could make or break our decision at some places. I feel very strong about doing everything we can to make sure we're as informed as possible before making a 4-year decision.

The AAMC provided the following recommendations for students holding acceptances but waiting to get scholarship information based on FAFSA before choosing which school to attend:
  • If they have questions for schools where they have been accepted, they should ask the school's admissions office directly.
    • They can ask when the school anticipates making and communicating decisions related to scholarships and loans (for most situations, loans are a given and may not typically be sent until later, so scholarship decisions is likely the pertinent question to help applicants make decisions)
    • If this is after the April 15 and 30th protocol and CTE (Commit to Enroll) dates, they can ask if the school is willing to allow time to decide until scholarship decisions are made and communicated.

Reactions: 1 user