GPA V MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2024 or 5 ?

Reaction score
Not considering anything else, which is more important GPA or MCAT for acceptance to medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with @Goro ! A 3.95 GPA does not impress me as much as a 520 MCAT. Both metrics are taken into consideration. A 3.0 with a 520 may suggest bright, but lazy to me. Not a good combo in medicine. A 3.95 with 499 MCAT makes my Spidey Senses tingle with respect to that student's success in med school.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Important for acceptance: neither.
Important for not getting screened out: both, but I can't argue especially the MCAT which supposedly puts everyone on a more even comparison compared to GPA (depends on major, if you wind up doing a postbac [which means your GPA is more complicated to interpret], etc.).

EDIT: agreeing with vox: MCAT more likely determines the tier of schools you have a reasonable shot for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
  1. WWE cage match? I think GPA wins cause GPA can be fluff based on institution and major.
  2. UFC octagon? I'd go with MCAT cause that can be pretty brutal. I've seen people carried out on stretcher bleeding profusely after the MCAT test (at least figuratively).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Since it is tough to compare GPAs from different schools and different majors and circumstances, I say MCAT. But both are important to get an interview.

Thanks. 3.9 GPA, but 509 MCAT (125 CARS). I have no interviews yet. I did not apply to anyone with MCAT average over 515.
Will my 509 screen me out of interviews? (White male)