Dental How can I prepare for success on my 4th attempt taking the DAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So from the title you can already guess that I’ve taken the DAT three times and now looking for more help.
1st attempt- studied alone
2nd attempt- studied with an pre-optometrist
3rd attempt- used Shani’s course

Now the fourth attempt lead me to get my masters in biomedical science to strengthen my application and help me get in the groove of being motivated and studying again. I need HELP & MOTIVATION!

attempt 1-

Academic Average14
Biology14
General Chemistry14
Organic Chemistry13
Perceptual Ability17
Quantitative Reasoning12
Reading Comprehension18
Survey of the Natural Sciences14
attempt 2-

Academic Average14
Biology14
General Chemistry14
Organic Chemistry13
Perceptual Ability16
Quantitative Reasoning14
Reading Comprehension16
Survey of the Natural Sciences13
attempt 3-

Academic Average16
Biology16
General Chemistry18
Organic Chemistry16
Perceptual Ability15
Quantitative Reasoning13
Reading Comprehension16
Survey of the Natural Sciences17

3.17 GPA

EC: not really because i worked a lot in undergrad as well as now but i get it in as much as possible with my masters program.
Ive been shadowing May 2017-August 2018 in general dentistry

So it's a good thing you got your DAT up on your last attempt, but it still is too low to have a solid chance. Along with having no ECs, I would not apply this cycle and possibly not the next cycle either.

Things you need to do:

1) Retake your DAT for a fourth and final time. I have no idea what Shani's course is, but use DAT Bootcamp, DAT Destroyer, and PATBooster. This is a list of resources: Forum Members - DAT Summary, Tips, & Tricks. Also use this list to see how people who scored well studied and use their tips and techniques to make your own study schedule: Compilation - DAT Breakdown Collection! 2017-Present. Treat it like it's your last chance. Study hard. Also, because it's your fourth time, I believe you need to make a special request to the ADA to take it, so look into that.

2) Get your GPA up. You need to do well in your Master's program. You cannot get Cs, and you shouldn't get Bs. Dental school is really hard, harder than a Master's program. If you don't show schools you can do well in a Master's, then they don't know if you can do well in dental school.

3) Get involved in ECs. You need to continue shadowing to show commitment, because August 2018 was almost a year ago. You also need to get involved in volunteering- preferably dental related (like volunteering at free clinics).

You need to motivate yourself. Dental school is insanely hard, but you have to want it and motive yourself to be able to get through it. People can only advise you on what to do, but you will need to put in the work if you truly do want to be a dentist. Put the time into researching how things are done, use all the info in these forums, keep your academics up, and hopefully you will be able to apply next cycle to start in Fall 2021. Make it your goal. Good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.