How important are qualifications in Psychology for a research career in mental health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firefly4210

Reaction score
If I'm interested in pursuing a research career in mental health (so, for example, research psychologist or clinical research in mental health conditions) and I have an Honours degree in Biomedical Science with a strong interest in Neuroscience (which I can evidence through courses I took at undergrad and some work experience), how useful would it be for my career purposes to pursue a masters/PhD in Psychology? I've also been thinking of pursuing Neuroscience as a masters/PhD but I'm wondering about the benefits of pursuing one over the other considering my interest in a research career in mental health? Any thoughts on how I could gain some clarity? I would be grateful for some perspective and please do let me know if I need to clarify anything! Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It's absolutely not required to have a Ph.D. in psychology to do research related to mental health. In my work, I have worked with epidemiologists, neurobiologists, physicians, doctoral social workers, sociomedical scientists, neuroscientists, policy researchers, and so on...as long as you are studying the aspects of mental health which you have expertise in, you're fine. In other words, what matters is that the contributions you make are contributions you are competent and qualified to make. A neurobiologist can absolutely study the neurobiological mechanisms of, say, suicidal behavior, but probably should not personally try to extrapolate their expertise and make strong public statements about psychosocial treatment. Mental health research is an interdisciplinary topic that isn't the sole stomping ground for psychology anymore than physical health research is the sole stomping ground of physicians. There's plenty of room for multiple types of scientists--as long as we all recognize the limitations of our education and qualifications, there's no reason we cannot all work happily together. Indeed, it makes the science all the more robust!